homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By thrashcomics
  • 1 Post By flexkill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

downburst82 is just really nicedownburst82 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thoughts on line 6 ax2 212?

Im on a budget and looking for a nice cheap decently powered amp, Found this on craigslist for $200 with footpedal.I know they are old school modeling tech but ive seen some youtube vids of people getting some really great tones out of them. Just wondering if anyone here has one/has any thoughts on them?

thanx
downburst82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

texshred777 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The AX2 was their flagship model before the Vetta. It's definitely dated in comparison to the Vettas or HD stuff but I used to get some pretty good sounds out of them. I spent a great deal of time about 11 years ago thinking about buying one(but went with tube heads and never looked back).

For $200 with the footswitch It's not a bad deal so long as there's no issues with it. I don't know that I'd buy one as a main gigging rig but they're nice for jamming, writing/recording and the occasional lower volume gig.
texshred777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Proud blacksheep

purpledc is a glorious beacon of lightpurpledc is a glorious beacon of lightpurpledc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you need volume avoid it like the ....ing plague. It has no power at all. Its funny I was working at sam ash when these first came out. I bought one as a b stock directly from Line 6. I got a BNIB example because the original they sent me was DOA. My co worker at the time had just got the brand new triple channel dual rectos that had came out at the time and asked if I would swap him as he liked how mine sounded better. Needless to say I jumped on that and even though he was happy and so was I he had to run the amp through a PA as he was completely drowned out by his drummer and it couldnt keep up. And they had a crap PA so they could barely hear him. He ended up getting a 6505 a few days later. If this is gonna be a bedroom amp then maybe but Id skip it if you plan on being in a band. And even if your not the spidervalves sound a milliion times better and are pretty cheap these days. And they are a .... ton louder than any AX2 212.

"Hey man, check out my new pickups they sound awesome......"

"Not possible, they cost less than $300 a set"
purpledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Blood_Lust:Unlimited

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Other guitarist has one and it sounds huge. Gotta plug it into a 412, his rattles the speakers out of it. Its not for me, but our tones mix well. I have a tighter sound thats more mids and crispy, and he has a thicker boomy kinda sound.
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

thrashcomics is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledc View Post
If you need volume avoid it like the ....ing plague. It has no power at all. Its funny I was working at sam ash when these first came out. I bought one as a b stock directly from Line 6. I got a BNIB example because the original they sent me was DOA. My co worker at the time had just got the brand new triple channel dual rectos that had came out at the time and asked if I would swap him as he liked how mine sounded better. Needless to say I jumped on that and even though he was happy and so was I he had to run the amp through a PA as he was completely drowned out by his drummer and it couldnt keep up. And they had a crap PA so they could barely hear him. He ended up getting a 6505 a few days later. If this is gonna be a bedroom amp then maybe but Id skip it if you plan on being in a band. And even if your not the spidervalves sound a milliion times better and are pretty cheap these days. And they are a .... ton louder than any AX2 212.
How did he get a 6505 a few days later? they didnt exist.
flexkill and downburst82 like this.

"the correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n is the number of guitars you already have - BucketheadRules"

Ibanez RG550 (89 Desert Sun Yellow)(Gravity Storm set)(SS frets)
Peavey 5150
BBE Green Screamer(modded)
Boss HM2 Heavy Metal
thrashcomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Vodka & PentaTonic

flexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashcomics View Post
How did he get a 6505 a few days later? they didnt exist.
Good point haha
thrashcomics likes this.

"If you ask your girlfriend where she wants to eat and she says "I don't care," what she's actually saying is "Guess. You will be graded." -Grand Moff Tim
flexkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

thrashcomics is a jewel in the rough
in fact, they didnt exist for another what 6 years?

"the correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n is the number of guitars you already have - BucketheadRules"

Ibanez RG550 (89 Desert Sun Yellow)(Gravity Storm set)(SS frets)
Peavey 5150
BBE Green Screamer(modded)
Boss HM2 Heavy Metal
thrashcomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Probably meant to say 5150. :P
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Uber Stringer

TheShreddinHand is just really niceTheShreddinHand is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I still play through mine after 11 years, but it is for bedroom playing only. When I was in a band I ran it through a mesa 4x12 cab and even then once the master got over 4 the thing really starts to sound digital and break up. With that said, it works great for bedroom shredding levels though. My clean patch is based on the mesa mark series and my riff and lead are the JCM800 with a tube screamer in front. Works great!

Eric
TheShreddinHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Blood_Lust:Unlimited

op1e is a jewel in the rough
I asked what amp model other guitarist was using, he pointed and it just said "Brit Lead", I think. That must be the JCM 800. He played the recto sim for me and it was boomy shite, if I remember correctly. Granted he's been dialing this amp infor the last 7-8 years probably. Singer always busts my balls and says my Peavey Ultra sounds thin in comparison.
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Uber Stringer

TheShreddinHand is just really niceTheShreddinHand is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1e View Post
I asked what amp model other guitarist was using, he pointed and it just said "Brit Lead", I think. That must be the JCM 800. He played the recto sim for me and it was boomy shite, if I remember correctly. Granted he's been dialing this amp infor the last 7-8 years probably. Singer always busts my balls and says my Peavey Ultra sounds thin in comparison.
Yeah, I set my patches a helluva long time ago but that sounds right. And yes, the recto sim sounds awful. I only got along with the Marshall and Soldano ones for higher gain.

Eric
TheShreddinHand is offline   Reply With Quote