homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
french dude, Brian

DGKarehere will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Suggestions for a good bass head & cabinet under $1000 ?

Okay, I have a band and we'll start playing at some small gigs in our town next month and my bassist is the only one in the band that absolutely needs to upgrade his gear.

Since he knows nothing at all about bass amplifiers and me neither, I need help from some of you to find a good deal for a cabinet and a head for under 1000$ (it can be new or used). You just need to tell me what could be a great deal or what could be something to absolutely not buy, you know what I mean ?

Thanks in advance !
DGKarehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Either a new Ampeg Portaflex 500 (new or used) or a Hartke 5500 (used), and a Carvin BR410 for a 4x10 or a BR810 if you want an 8x10. If you have extra cash, spend it on a bass dirt pedal.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Beat old Ampeg 810 and a GK 700RB III.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
french dude, Brian

ok thanks for the suggestions i'll check that out !
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
french dude, Brian

I found a GK 700RB I for 400$ used CAN and a Eden 410T for 300$ used
Would it delivers a good sound ?
I also found an ampeg 810 for 650$
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That would be good rig for sure. Every GK head I've played has been stellar in sound, even the super cheap Backline series stuff. Also, Eden makes some great cabs. For $700 I doubt you'll find a significantly better rig.

That's a rather high price for a used Ampeg unless it's recent and in almost new condition. Though, perhaps they are a little pricier in Canada. I bought both of my old 810s for under $500. They weren't very pretty, but they were in perfect working order.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

carcass is a jewel in the rough
just a suggestion, but if you wat some pedal, look at Behringer V-TONE BASS BDI21. I saw a comparation of BDI21 with Sansamp BDDI and to be honest, it was impossible to tell them apart. Cheap and it can deliver really nice tone.

carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
french dude, Brian

Yea, I think it's pricier in Canada . thanks for your help !

@Carcass : definitely a good suggestion. my bassist is going to like this little thing!
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

carcass is a jewel in the rough
just for fun, I found one comparasion video on youtube, hope it will be useful somehow:

SansAmp Bass Driver DI vs Behringer V-tone BDI 21 - YouTube

carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

Spinedriver is just really niceSpinedriver is just really nice
The 8x10 might be a bit of overkill unless the band is playing some pretty big venues. It's not the easiest to transport (it won't fit in most cars) not to mention it weighs a ton. Whereas with a 4x10, it can be carried by 1 person and will fit in the back seat of most 4 door cars.

The rig I have is a Peavey TVX 4x10 (which you can probably get for around $350 CDN used) and for a head, I have a Markbass Little MarkII (it's pretty much the same as a the LMIII and F1) and they run around $500 or so new. As for a pedal, I'd recommend a Tech 21 VT Bass because it's hands down one of the best 'tone shaping' pedals available for bass. It does everything the Bass Driver does and more (except for a DI out but the LMII has one on it).

For less than $1,000 it's probably one of the best sounding rigs I've ever played through.
Spinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote