homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
I'm always... hungry

danger5oh is just really nicedanger5oh is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Help Needed: because GAS seems to come in groups...

I hate posting these types of threads, but I need a second opinion. I've been looking for a new amp to play the gamut of metal genres mostly at home. I already have a Roland Cube 40XL, but I need something more substantial that I can plug into my 2x12 G-Flex (damn 40XL doesn't have an extension cab jack). I've been GASsing forever for an Ampeg SS150 and a Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20... and of course the GAS gods had to put all three of them on craigslist for about the same price. But alas, I can only pick one. Can someone please help a brother out?
danger5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Play It LOUD!!!

MistaSnowman is just really niceMistaSnowman is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it was me...

HT Studio 20 Head Guitar Amplifier - Blackstar Amplification
MistaSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
I'm always... hungry

danger5oh is just really nicedanger5oh is just really nice
I'm thinking that might be the better option as well, but my only gripe is that it's the combo and not just the head. I suppose that would give me a little greater flexibility though. The HT-5 is just the head and it's the non-reverb original version, which supposedly sounds better in the gain department, but I wonder what the gain comparison is between the HT-5 and the HT-20? Also, I'm wondering if the older Ampeg will be able to compete with either of the Blackstars in terms of versatility since it's a 20 year old amp... but then again, maybe because they're harder to come by I should go with that one instead? Damnit...
danger5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Banned

schecter4life is a jewel in the rough
ht-20 all the way, no question, never heard 20 watts that loud, tube or SS, and the tones can get SOOOO chimey without having that ice pick to the ear effect
schecter4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger5oh View Post
I'm thinking that might be the better option as well, but my only gripe is that it's the combo and not just the head. I suppose that would give me a little greater flexibility though. The HT-5 is just the head and it's the non-reverb original version, which supposedly sounds better in the gain department, but I wonder what the gain comparison is between the HT-5 and the HT-20? Also, I'm wondering if the older Ampeg will be able to compete with either of the Blackstars in terms of versatility since it's a 20 year old amp... but then again, maybe because they're harder to come by I should go with that one instead? Damnit...
I've owned both version of HT5. The gain sounds the same on both. The clean sounds MUCH better on the newer version. There is no difference between the reverb or non-reverb version of either.

I've also owned the HT20 and while it had some cool tones, it seriously lacked bass and overall depth. Honestly, the HT5 is much ballsier sounding overall and I was happier with it.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Play It LOUD!!!

MistaSnowman is just really niceMistaSnowman is just really nice
The HT-20 combo isn't bad at all (more clean headroom makes it nice when running with pedals) but with that cab you have, I'd say grab the HT-5 head. I thought the HT-20 option was the head rather than the combo, that's why I initially suggested the 20.
MistaSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
I own the HT-20 head and it's incredible. I use an Axe-FX now, but plugged into a cab the HT-20 is just like raw, in your face, aggressive, fat tone. Like a hot-rodded Marshall, but better.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote