homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree77Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

thedonal is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This whole Axe FX thing

I've seen a lot of threads listing Axe FX with recordings etc and a number of bands are listing them as major gear.

So it's led me to wonder if a lot of metal musicians are abandoning the traditional amp thing both in the studio and on the road.

I know that it makes for a lot of convenience in being able to write/record at home without studio bills or neighbour/family/police fury and I accept that they do sound amazing from all recordings I hear.

But where's the love for amps gone? Has it gone? Am I reading too much into this?

Answers on a postcard to the above address, please!*

*It's not a criticism, just a curious question.

A Drug By The Name Of "World Without End"

https://soundcloud.com/#atomsun
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
PRS SE Inspector

Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm still a amp guy. I like having a 4x12 with a head on top of it. My 5150 sounds crushing and while the Axe FX has the tones of a shit ton of amps and can emulate the 5150 basically perfectly, I still love the look of the 5150 and 4x12 on stage and the feeling of playing through warm tubes. But I do love what the Axe FX can accomplish. I'd love a modded JCM head too

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott

BE A MAN AND SIGN THE NEG REP YOU GIVE ME, PLEASE.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Adrian-XI is just really niceAdrian-XI is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The love for real amps still exists for sure, anyone denying that is being silly. They (amps and modelers) are two different beasts, each with their pros and cons.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Sauvage

TheFerryMan is a jewel in the rough
honestly I'm all for both. Now honestly i don't own an Axe-Fx (I like eating and having a roof over my head) but i do use DI recording interfaces to record and track ideas, and at the same time i have my amp for when i have to play a show every once and a while.
Francis978 likes this.

"TERATOPHOBIA" is an unusual fear of giving birth to a monster.

twitter.com/hailthered follow me on twitter, i say stuff.

I'm not trying to push my album of on anybody, but i am. it's Free(unless you want to donate) ! get at it http://hailthered.bandcamp.com/
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonal View Post
But where's the love for amps gone? Has it gone? Am I reading too much into this?
I think you are. There seem to be two kinds of people - those who simply use what they need how they need it, and those that factor in, to any extent (not always a bad thing) things like tradition, image, fashion, the norm.

I think you'll find most people that have moved to an Axe have done so just because it works for them. Not because they have lost their love for amps, if they even had that in the first place. The guys who love to rock infront of their wall of Marshalls and deem anything else false and untrue will continue to do so I couldn't give a damn about anything except the sound that enters my ears.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
U gonna eat that?

Deadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of light
From the moment you plug the guitar in whichever amp/modeler , it's all effects and signal coloring.So in the end it all depends on the combination of budget,convenience and tone that suits you best and makes your music enjoyable.

Amps are evolving way slower than the modelers.The latter managed to reach the milestone of being able to record an album and fooling people it's a real amp,and greatly improved their sound into something enjoyable (plug in a previous modeling generation digitech 80 buck multieffect/modeler and then a pod HD,and you'll know what I'm talking about).
otisct20 likes this.

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I love my amp but I see no reason not to record using DI's exclusively for now. I can always run the DI tracks through my amp later when I am ready, but in the meantime I get uber flexibility in tones without having to re-record anything.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Local Astronaut

3074326 is just really nice3074326 is just really nice
I love amps.. still. I've been using a POD to record for years now though. I live in an apartment and will for the foreseeable future. I'm upgrading to an Axe because they're convenient and versatile. They are nearly indistinguishable in recordings from what I've heard. I'm expecting to love it. I'll probably sell my tube amps if I like it enough.

It's just a piece of technology that is too hard for me to pass up given my situation and desires. I still and always will love tube amps.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
Look basically anywhere else and you will see the majority of people use amps and still look down on modeling. This forum is the exception, not the rule when it comes to amps vs. modelers.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The main thing about the axeFX is that it's trendy. I'm serious here.

That said, it is the sheer convenience and the fact that it sounds pretty decent which has helped that trend catch on. Nevertheless I still think a lot of dudes lust after it simply because the cool kids have one.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I tried the POD HD and went running back to an amp
asilayamazing likes this.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Local Astronaut

3074326 is just really nice3074326 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomer View Post
The main thing about the axeFX is that it's trendy. I'm serious here.

That said, it is the sheer convenience and the fact that it sounds pretty decent which has helped that trend catch on. Nevertheless I still think a lot of dudes lust after it simply because the cool kids have one.
That's a lot of money to just impress people on the internet. Can't say I agree with it being the "main thing" about the unit. For some, few even, sure. But to the rest of us, we want it because it sounds good and is unbelievably versatile and convenient.
Thaeon likes this.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
If I had the money (always comes down to that, doesn't it? ) I'd be on one in an instant.

Being a bedroom warrior, a 100watt marshal/5150 head and a quad stack is a bit too much I prefer the way with digital modellers how you just dial in the numbers and every time you plug in and use the patch you get the exact same sound out.

As has been said, it comes down to the job at hand.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Interloper is just really niceInterloper is just really nice
I love my GSP1101 but will probably always own at least one tube amp and I would bet that most if not all of these artists still have a good tube amp around. Regardless of looks, convenience whatever, tube amps are just fun to play through.

Modelers require tweeking, and more tweeking, and even more tweeking and every time you think you've nailed it, you end up tweeking more just because you can. If I was in a band or did enough recording to warrant it, I would love to own an Axe. But for every person who uses an Axe, there are 100's who still use tubes.
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The Axe-FX sounds great. So do my amps. My amps are simpler, cheaper, and easier to make sound good. And they all have a master volume control, so I don't have to crank the shit out of them.

Therefore, I'm pretty happy with my amps.
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

ItWillDo is a jewel in the rough
There is one main reason I prefer my Ultra above other amps:

Unread 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Pav
???

Pav will become famous soon enough
For the price of that one digital box, I'm able to build myself a huge tube-powered stack that not only sounds exactly how I want it to, but is easy to tweak and navigate. Not to mention I love the sound and feel of having a formidable rig in front of me versus that little digital box and some speakers. I'm also into electrical engineering and have a real passion for analog audio, so to me it's just an incredibly expensive way of bypassing so many of the things I love about playing guitar in the first place.
jsl2h90 and asilayamazing like this.
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

thedonal is a jewel in the rough
Them's all fair comments. Cheers.

I'm an amp lover at heart, but I would quite like a hardware modeller for running ideas (and not eating precious CPU time). I'm still not 100% convinced by modelled sounds over real amps (something about the dynamics, response and 'air' of it), but they really have come a long, long way in a short time.

I suppose they save on a degree of tinnitus too (a growing problem for me), but you also lose the amp/guitar interaction without some volume (even from studio speakers). I do like to 'feel' the noise though..

I guess the other thing with home recording too is that it avoids the whole mic'ing thing and sorting out the room (though you could probably sort out a few decent home made gobos for that at a fraction of the Fractal cost!

A Drug By The Name Of "World Without End"

https://soundcloud.com/#atomsun
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I play exclusively on the Axe-Fx now. I really cant find a reason to go back.
Thaeon and Dores like this.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
PRS SE Inspector

Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.Riffer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
To me theres just something about plugging into a tube head and a cabinet and going to town. No effects or loops or anything. Just a gutiar>cable>amp>cab. I'd love to mess with an Axe FX but it just seems too complicated for my taste. The tones people get it ungodly though. I'm always impressed by them.

"It's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll" - Bon Scott

BE A MAN AND SIGN THE NEG REP YOU GIVE ME, PLEASE.
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Tabernach

Deliverowned can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillDo View Post
There is one main reason I prefer my Ultra above other amps:

The Ultra is sooo 2011...

Ill get an axe fx when It will be priced for what you get. There is more technology involved in a microwave.

Great deals with : encasedmetal, jefffrommtl, coop.
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverowned View Post
The Ultra is sooo 2011...

Ill get an axe fx when It will be priced for what you get. There is more technology involved in a microwave.
70+ amps not enough for you?
I don't understand your comment, as an Axe-Fx is essentially a high-powered computer. There's quite a bit of technology involved.
Thaeon, AxeHappy, Nimgoble and 1 others like this.

Unread 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverowned View Post
Not sure if trolling...
youshy, AxeHappy, Nimgoble and 2 others like this.
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
Oaf Tobar

ROAR is just really niceROAR is just really nice
Of course people still love amps.
Why else would there still be a market for them?
You're over thinking this problem
Thaeon likes this.

Unread 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Blake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of light
Amp head and cabs are just cool period. Just turn the shit on and play.
Pav likes this.

“Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian.”

-Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Closed Thread