homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By JStraitiff
  • 1 Post By Zombie13
  • 3 Post By HighGain510
  • 1 Post By Bevo
  • 2 Post By Tyler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

ItWillDo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheap Active Full-range Loudspeakers for Axe FX

So considering I'm playing in two bands now (one that gigs often, and one that gigs rarely) I decided to move my power amp & cabinet to the practice room of the band that gigs often.

This leaves me with the problem that I don't have an amplifier now in the practice room of the other band so I'm playing through the PA there (which pretty much sucks) and i'm looking to solve this by buying myself an active loudspeaker to serve as a poweramp+cab-combo. The second problem is that I'm still a student and I'm not doing too damn well financially since I had to buy a 7-string to use in the new band. My budget is about 400-450 euros MAX. This isn't much (at all) but it's the best I can do for now.

I've been looking at the active speakers at Thomann, and I'm mostly interested in the 15" ones (considering I've been told that these have a superior bass-response) and Behringer seems to have some interesting deals, but I'm always slightly concerned with their quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
ItWillDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

otisct20 will become famous soon enough
I believe Behringer makes 15 inch 550w active speakers for pretty cheap.
otisct20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Someone has a thread about the alto speakers. They claim they sound really good.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
In brightest day...

OrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The 12" ones will have PLENTY off low end. Especially if the AxeFx is driving it. You have so many eq'ing options with the Axe you can get a ton of range. That will also make it a bit cheaper, too.

I'm using the JBL Prx612M, which I believe is above your budget. But well worth the price.

Single humbucker with maple fretboards.
OrsusMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

ItWillDo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrsusMetal View Post
The 12" ones will have PLENTY off low end. Especially if the AxeFx is driving it. You have so many eq'ing options with the Axe you can get a ton of range. That will also make it a bit cheaper, too.

I'm using the JBL Prx612M, which I believe is above your budget. But well worth the price.
Yeah, if I had the extra cash I'd go for the PRX612 but money's too tight to mention.

So I think I'll give the Alto TS112's a shot.
ItWillDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Don't let the speaker size be the deciding factor, look at the frequency response to see how low it goes.
I am using a Yorkville 12 inch PA that also works as a bass speaker and its amazing on guitar.

Best thing to do is buy used and bring your gear to try it out first.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Seanthesheep is a jewel in the rough
How are the yorkville speakers? The ones i can find are like only 200w
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
No one ever mentions Carvin.
Carvin.com : PM15A MOLDED ACTIVE MAIN/MONITOR SPEAKER

I'm using a PM15 with my Vetta II and it's pretty ....ing awesome, it's very loud and I can hear everything at shows (should be the same for the Axe FX)
ShadowFactoryX likes this.

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Another vote for the Alto 15" here! A few folks commented on them in that other thread recently and I'm glad I listened to them! My buddy and I went to GC to test out speakers and we tested some Yamaha speakers (pretty meh tbh, especially given the price tag... ), the QSC K10 (excellent speaker, very articulate lows which was surprising for a 10" speaker) and K12 (sounder "bigger" than the K10 but lacked the low-end definition the K10 had) and finally the Alto which sounded great across the whole spectrum! Tight, articulate lows and the mids and highs were very present and didn't distort on the cleans which I noticed the others had some issues with harder picking. I'd say if you can try one out, definitely do so! I threw a video up on Facebook, if I can find a way to get it up here I'll do that too.

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
^
Matt speaks the truth.

ItWillDo: If you can get these over there, then it will be worth your while.

New FRFR Day! Alto TS115A's HD video

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Dores is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been using a Behringer B212D with my Axe FX and Pod, and it works perfectly. MORE than enough low end - I actually cut all the bass on the onboard EQ to make it fit the band mix better. It's great for the money!
Dores is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Also to the comments of "a 12" speaker has more than enough low end" I'd just like to mention that having a ton of lows is not the same thing as have a ton of lows and having them actually be TIGHT. You can have a 12" speaker that has a ton of bass but if that bass is flubby and you play 7's, what good is it? Articulate bass is key, especially with the Axe and a 7+ string guitar. The Yamahas we played through all sounded like a wet fart on the 7th string which was only tuned to Bb on a 27" scale so it's not like we had it tuned uber low with no tension.

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep View Post
How are the yorkville speakers? The ones i can find are like only 200w
The one I am using is the NX55 which is 550 watts, damn damn damn loud yet can play with great tone a bedroom or less levels.
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
Yes I live in Omaha.

RandyE9 is a jewel in the rough
I just ordered an Alto Ts112a last night so i'm hoping it sounds as good as it is being reviewed!
RandyE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

brector is a jewel in the rough
Another vote for the Alto TS115a. I love mine!

-Brian
brector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Humbub

clintsal is just really niceclintsal is just really nice
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
If you are looking for low-cost, I have a AxeFX standard into an Atomic Reactor 18W (older version), and it rocks. Loud enough for a hard-hitting drummer, quiet enough for a bedroom, easily found for ~$300
clintsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

MiPwnYew is just really niceMiPwnYew is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I also have an Alto TS112a
MiPwnYew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #18
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I am going to pickup a used active JBL EON15 eventually (the higher wattage version).

It will be used mainly to hear my kick drum triggers. While I was researching this the biggest problem people seem to run into is not getting enough volume to be heard through hard drumming. And I was told the JBL can actually handle those types of volumes.

In comparison, the lower wattage version of the EON 15 can't be heard, and lacks low end clarity, because the driver is completely different (smaller magnet, can't hit low low frequencies).

You may be able to find a used one for around $300, and I think that is a pretty good deal for such a powerful device.
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #19
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
Anyone have any suggestions like the Altos? They seem amazing, cheap, perfect for me! But no dealers in Canada. I'm in Vancouver. Maybe I could get them shipped to a PO in the states but that may be a hassle.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

nangillala is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post
Another vote for the Alto 15" here!
Thanks for the post. Did you test the 12" vs. the 15"? Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks!
nangillala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
Cold As Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangillala View Post
Thanks for the post. Did you test the 12" vs. the 15"? Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks!
The store we went to was out of stock on the TS112a speakers so I didn't get to try them out, only the 15" version. But considering everyone on here was saying the TS115a was fantastic I don't know if I would have bought the 12" unless it sounded better than the 15" version that I brought home.

Unread 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

Another one thats just a bit more than the Alto is the Mackie Thump series of powered PA speakers.
They are $400 in Canada.

I did try the 15 and through bass it was perfect, nice and tight but you have to eq the bass back or it will overwhelm the rest of the sound.

Actually most PA's I did try including the one I am using now need the bass backed off, make sure you do this when you try them out.
Also aim for higher watts, it seems to provide clean clear tones to serious volume levels. A lower watt system will start to sound bad early, I like maximum playing volume at less than 50% of the volume knob.
ConnorGilks likes this.
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Tyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud ofTyler has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Got an Alto TS115a earlier this week. LOVE it
HighGain510 and brector like this.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote