homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

JamesTSi is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Krank Krankenstein vs Peavey Triple XXX?

I may be running into an opportinuty to trade my Peavey Triple XXX amp head with an Avatar 4x12 cab for a Krank Krankenstein head, and matching Krank cab. Good deal, bad deal? Thoughts? How is the tone on the Krank? Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated
JamesTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Gryphon is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of music do you play?
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

A lot of what we play is all over the place. old Killswitch Engage, Bury Your Dead, A Static Lullaby. I want something with a really tight high gain tone that cuts through with good mids.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Keep the XXX, IMO.
FireInside and asilayamazing like this.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
C.R.E.A.M

TheEntheogenEgoKiller is on a distinguished road
Go with the krank.. I can't say enough about the cabs. The amp is dark sounding, tight and perfect for high gain mids.
TheEntheogenEgoKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Peavey XXX all day every day. Try the Krank and see for yourself.
asilayamazing likes this.

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Dr Djodson

xCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to all
I can't stand XXX heads, love Krank heads, but I don't like Krank cabs.

Perfect world? keep the avatar cab and replace the head haha.
xCaptainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What dont you like about the XXX?

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

amarshism is a jewel in the rough
Keep your head, trade the cab.
HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.

Guitarist @ THY ART IS MURDER
www.facebook.com/TAIMMETAL
Instagram|stillupsocut
amarshism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshism View Post
Keep your head, trade the cab.
+1. Even though I dislike Krank amps, their cabs are supposed to be ....ing amazing.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
To me Krank amps have this really husky bark sort of tone with not much fizz or gain. Plus with the pregain cranked they hiss like a cobra. If that's what you're into then go for it. Personally I'd trade the XXX for a 6505+...
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

artmachine has a spectacular aura about
I've only heard a krank once in a band setting, but it sounded surprisingly muffled and it was even being played through a mesa cab. On the other hand, I got a xxx a few months ago and it's the best high gain head I've owned and played thus far even while I had a 5150ii for a year and a half. I think the biggest problem people have with the xxx is that it's definitely not plug and play and that the eq is very touch sensitive. I agree that a 5150/6505 has this undeniable bite, but it certainly lacks in tonal range and the clean channel, even on the 5150ii, is extremely bland and doesn't have a ton of headroom. Obviously, everyone has their preferences and there wouldn't be so much to pick from if that wasn't the case, but I think the xxx is an incredible amp that can cover a solid amount of ground too.
asilayamazing likes this.
artmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

jllozano has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Just got a XXX and i am loving it with a vader 412....definitely get the XXX retubed... JJ 12dw7 in V2 works some magic in that amp
jllozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

asilayamazing is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
mesa power 6l6's really smooth the tone out.

smooth transactions with: djpharoah, bob123, Sevenstringer, Jolo5150, kfiggy

If you're gonna "Thank me" then Thank (post) me, or give rep

"With the amount of flak I've been receiving lately, i may just keep this post to myself!"
asilayamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #15
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
.... if I still had my XXX I'd throw some KT77's up in there. Bitches love KT77's.

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

evilsaint is a glorious beacon of lightevilsaint is a glorious beacon of lightevilsaint is a glorious beacon of light
I'd say keep the XXX. I never get enough gain and good modern tone from my Krank amps.

My Blog : http://powerdragon-powerdragon.blogspot.com/
That's all about guitars and amps.
evilsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

blackrobedone is a jewel in the rough
Get the Krank. It's worth more, and has less fizzly gain. It must be dialed in properly though, with the presence almost at 0.
I'm referring to my personal experience with the XXX and the Krankenstein +.
blackrobedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
BEADGBEG

EvolDerek is a jewel in the rough
Stick with the Krankenstein, I love mine. Ive played a few XXX's before, but they didnt wow me like my Krank did when I first plugged in.

RIG
Orange TH100
'72 Sound City 120
Orange Micro Terror
Orange + Krank Cabs
White V - Warpig
Gibson SGJ - Lifers
Pedals,pedals, and more pedals.....
Soon: More cabs....
EvolDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
twerk twerk thall

sage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh, the lateral swap is always the hardest to evaluate. Personally, I didn't love the Krankenstein head. I found it muddy and difficult to pin down a sound that I found usable. I had less troubles with the XXX. The cab situation is an interesting one also. The Krankenstein cab is solid maple with 150W Eminence Texas Heats. The thing about the TH speakers is that they have mondo headroom, which really translates into nearly no speaker distortion. Which is great if you either A: require cleans at massive volumes or B: are totally in love with your amp's distortion, such that you do not require (or desire) the breakup offered by a Vintage 30 (or similar, lower wattage speaker). The Avatar is also a very well put together cab, but made with 13 ply birch instead of solid wood. And, if it's been your cab since new, you probably chose the speakers.

Personally, I own the Krankenstein cab and love it, but it's not for everyone and I also have a 1x12 with a V30 in it for extra flavour when I record. If I were you, I would probably not make the trade based on your cab being a part of your sound and the XXX being a better sounding head. Unless you are totally bored with your rig, in which case I'd make the swap as, as someone pointed out earlier, the Krank rig is worth more and if you hate that too, you can sell it or trade it at a higher value.
JamesTSi likes this.
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
twerk twerk thall

sage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookieslayer View Post
.... if I still had my XXX I'd throw some KT77's up in there. Bitches love KT77's.
Yes, them bitches sure do. I put some in my JSX and it was like a new amp. Considering that the JSX ultra gain channel was based on the XXX, it would probably be a sweeeeeet upgrayedd. (spelled thusly with two D's for a double dose of this pimpin')
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Oh, the lateral swap is always the hardest to evaluate. Personally, I didn't love the Krankenstein head. I found it muddy and difficult to pin down a sound that I found usable. I had less troubles with the XXX. The cab situation is an interesting one also. The Krankenstein cab is solid maple with 150W Eminence Texas Heats. The thing about the TH speakers is that they have mondo headroom, which really translates into nearly no speaker distortion. Which is great if you either A: require cleans at massive volumes or B: are totally in love with your amp's distortion, such that you do not require (or desire) the breakup offered by a Vintage 30 (or similar, lower wattage speaker). The Avatar is also a very well put together cab, but made with 13 ply birch instead of solid wood. And, if it's been your cab since new, you probably chose the speakers.

Personally, I own the Krankenstein cab and love it, but it's not for everyone and I also have a 1x12 with a V30 in it for extra flavour when I record. If I were you, I would probably not make the trade based on your cab being a part of your sound and the XXX being a better sounding head. Unless you are totally bored with your rig, in which case I'd make the swap as, as someone pointed out earlier, the Krank rig is worth more and if you hate that too, you can sell it or trade it at a higher value.
Well I'm not totally bored with my rig. Just curious as to what else is out there. My Avatar cab is a custom one with Green tolex, and V30s and Lead 80s in an X pattern. Oh, and I can't forget the Saints Row cab case that wouldn't fit the Krank cab. I believe I will stick with my rig now, maybe play with the tubes some. The tones I am getting out of it since I played with it yesterday are really close to Killswitch Engages tone (which is what I am honestly after)

Unread 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrobedone View Post
Get the Krank. It's worth more, and has less fizzly gain. It must be dialed in properly though, with the presence almost at 0.
I'm referring to my personal experience with the XXX and the Krankenstein +.
Agreed, i'd go with the higher value, especially in an undecided type situation. You can always trade again or sell for more than you could with the XXX, hell maybe get a XXX and another head.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
twerk twerk thall

Upon review of cab details, do not execute trade.
JamesTSi and asilayamazing like this.
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd keep the XXX. For some reason, all I think of when I see Kranks is fizz and thrash metal. I can't really get them to sound brutal without pedals and such.

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search!
Trans Blue/Teal Quilt Maple tops
7stringDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
I have yet to hear a Krank amp sound good in a serious setting. Every time i've seen someone use them, they have been using a distortion pedal into it's clean channel because they were disappointed in the distortion in the amp itself.
Eric Christian likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote