homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Might-is-Right
  • 1 Post By Might-is-Right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

jjcor is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Rhodes colossus h100 or DAR

My question is pretty much what the title says. I just started to look into the Rhodes and that thing seems to be pretty versatile. I'm looking to get a head that can have shimmery cleans and engl invader type lead channels. The invader is an amazing amp but its made for metal indeed. I use alot of cleans also, so need an amp that can do both. I'm on the list for a DAR but all I've really seen is the lead channels of it. Never the clean. What are your suggestions?
jjcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There are some clean clips of the DAR Forza on youtube, and Mike said the cleans wouldn't be too far off from those. They sound pretty sweet

Have you pre-ordered one? Mike stated that all of the 100H run is to be shipped by the 19th of April, but not sure if that's following through or not.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
As a Lion...

Might-is-Right is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I have the Colossus. It is unbelievably versatile and has an incredible clean channel which i never use. I did some demos for local players when I had the rhodes demo amp and alot of the guys were a little more diverse in their styles than me. That amp sounds great in every context...I cant recommend it enough. I went thru over a dozen high end amps inclunding the ax fx over an 18 month period and havent even thought about switching since I received my Colossus.

As an added bonus Kyle is one of the best guys to deal with that you will ever find. Get the Rhodes and you will never look back...
Triple7 likes this.

My band Oblivion (Brutal Tech Death Metal)
obtainoblivion.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnBFIAbFjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAXTnOFzRE

Proudly endorsed by
KxK Guitars
Rhodes Amplifcation
Might-is-Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Craptastic!

mike0 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would kill to be in the position you're in, having the ability to choose which of the best high gain boutique amps that you want.

I've heard some clips of the dar doing clean, and they do actually sound pretty great, and since you're already on the list i'd say wait just a little longer just in case they actually do see the light of day. Otherwise i'd definitely go with the rhodes. But to be completely honest, i don't think you could go wrong either way.
mike0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Have you pre-ordered one? Mike stated that all of the 100H run is to be shipped by the 19th of April, but not sure if that's following through or not.
Yea Im on the list. He told me it would be around the middle of June when I would get one. And so far they're very good on responding to emails about questions I have on it.
Quote:
I went thru over a dozen high end amps inclunding the ax fx over an 18 month period and havent even thought about switching since I received my Colossus.
Ive been through the Axe Fx Standard/Ultra/II and they didnt do it for me so Im back to tube amps again. I just dont wanna go through 20 before I find the "right" one. But it could be the never ending search for tone....OR GAS
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
As a Lion...

Might-is-Right is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Ive been through the Axe Fx Standard/Ultra/II and they didnt do it for me so Im back to tube amps again. I just dont wanna go through 20 before I find the "right" one. But it could be the never ending search for tone....OR GAS[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I get this. I used to think it would be a never ending ordeal of getting a new amp and quickly dismissing it. If you have some more specific questions, want clips etc shoot me a pm. But I'm gonna say it again, if you go with the Rhodes your search will be over...
jjcor likes this.

My band Oblivion (Brutal Tech Death Metal)
obtainoblivion.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnBFIAbFjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAXTnOFzRE

Proudly endorsed by
KxK Guitars
Rhodes Amplifcation
Might-is-Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Is DAR even shipping amps right now? I know one person received an FBM100, but I haven't seen any others pop up. They seem to be having production, communication, and even refund issues at the moment. Based on that, I wouldn't go for a DAR at the present time.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
They seem to be having production, communication, and even refund issues at the moment. Based on that, I wouldn't go for a DAR at the present time.
They put my name on the list and said it would be mid June when my name comes up. But they also said they would contact me a couple of weeks ahead of time because I told them I would need to sell my engl invader to fund this amp. BUT if some people are having communication problems (which I'm not at the time being) that kind of makes me nervous to deal with them. I don't want to sell my amp and then they tell me its gonna be another 3 months before they ship it, or something crazy like that.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
You might want to look at the FBM thread.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
You might want to look at the FBM thread.
Just read it and .... THAT! Rhodes is taking the lead on this. Talked to them and they told me they have 2 spots open for the next run and I would have to put 30% down. Think Im gonna take that route (unless someone knows of another amp I should look into also)
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
ENGL SE? The clean channel on the EL34 version is great. You'd be able to get one quickly instead of waiting for months and months.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Craptastic!

mike0 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the titan cerberus might be worth checking out. especially one with contour controls for the lead and crunch channels. now, i haven't played any of these amps, because... well.. of obvious reasons, so my opinions are all just conjecture in my eyes. but if i had to choose to pick one amp from around that price range it would definitely be the cerberus. some of the guys on here can tell you just how beautiful the titan cleans are, and how searing the leads and thick the rhythm tones can be. throw in the contour control and the ability to shape each channel goes far beyond just changing the eq settings. i had a thread up a while ago and a lot of the guys agreed on that the amp felt like an extension of your guitar, not just an amp. here's the thread, got lots of helpful info

Anyone play titan amps?

i still stand by that you can't go wrong with any of these amps though
mike0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
ENGL SE? The clean channel on the EL34 version is great. You'd be able to get one quickly instead of waiting for months and months.
How the lead channels on those?
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcor View Post
How the lead channels on those?
Incredible. Channel 3 is great for rhythm or leads. Channel 4 has too much bass for rhythm though. I'd stick to using 4 for leads. 3 effects loops. Full midi capability. Cable tester. Tube failure indicator. Cabinet selector. There's a ridiculous amount of features it comes with. I really miss mine. It's the only tube head I've ever owned that didn't need a boost at all.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote