homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Randall Amps (Need advice!)

Damn, I forgot an "e" on the title, duh

There's a music shop near my city that is a Randall Dealer and offers awesome prices on them, so I can get them cheaper than any other amp over here, so I need some input.

Assuming that I want a half-stack, (I'll pick a Randall cab as well) I'm VERY tempted by the G3 heads, that (I suppose) will sound much better than my Spider II. The V2 and RM (modular) series are a bit pricey, but I still consider them.

Any input is welcome

And BTW, please don't start throwing shit each other if you have different opinions, I wouldn't like to see this thread closed like the ENGl one
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
The G3 heads are supposed to have so much bass that it's ridiculous, just keep that in mind, lol. That being said, I really want a V2.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
SS.Org's Irish Guy

777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i played a g3 head a week ago hated it there was no wamth atall that dosent mean it was full of treble it was just too mids based no sustain really it sounded almost EXACTLY like lamb of gods redneck tone except with not enough gain
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
The RH300 G3 and the V2 sound like they'd just crush. About a month ago, I read, literally, hundreds of reviews on them because I was trying to decide between them. If you want all the bells and whistles, go for the V2. If you need a simple 2-channel setup, go with the RH300.

Go to www.randallamplifiers.com & download the amp manuals. There's lots of good info there.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
I have a friend who has an V2 and says is freaking awesome; I find it a bit pricey for my budget, though. Also, the V2 has three tubes on it instead of one like the g3 series. I assue the V2 will sound much better, but I don't know

Which cab should I buy, too?
Unread 11-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Manager / RHLC

skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Emperoff try G3 300 watts one and the V2.

I think that the ss sound really good, but V2 with that tubes it's going to sound better.

Try them both, and say me how many it's about ($$$) the G3 300 and the V2.

Saludos!

Back to da 'hood (sevenstring.org)
skinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
The modular stuff is cool, however if you're going to spend the coin save up and buy the Egnater stuff like I did. I have owned the Randall RM4 (rack-mounted preamp, paired it with a VHT 2/50/2 in a rack and sounded pretty nice), RM50HB and RM100 heads as well as the Egnater Dual Channel M4 and MOD50 head. The Egnater stuff uses higher quality components than the Randall counterparts and I've heard that the MTS stuff from Randall (especially the RM100 it seems...) has had a lot of issues with blowing tubes and fuses, so keep that in mind. I've never had an issue with any of my gear so it's possible that it is just caused by people who don't take care of their gear! The Egnater stuff sounds better to my ears, plus it is a bit more versatile with the Dual Channel preamp modules as the Randall stuff can only use the single-channel preamp modules. The other thing to keep in mind is that Bruce Egnater SUPPORTS his gear so if you have a problem he will help you get it fixed ASAP, Randall customer service is pretty bad.... They also know next-to-nothing about the MTS amps as they didn't design it, Bruce Egnater did. I have called them asking pretty straight-forward questions and they couldn't even answer them so I had to call up Bruce and he helped me out even though I didn't have the Egnater version of his amps. If you're looking for more info on the MTS stuff visit the forum (www.mtsforum.grailtone.com) and they have lots of info over there. The other amps from Randall look interesting though, I've heard the V2 was a pretty cool amp too from friends who tried it out at NAMM. Good luck with the search bro!

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Thorn, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, H&K GrandMeister 36 + Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get a RMS125 cab (2x12 1x15 - looks metal as ....) and use the money you saved for a head on a used on a Randall Cyclone head s/h (they don't make them anymore). The first gig i ever played with my 7 was with one and i have yet to ever, ever hear anything as tight, defined, articulate and crushing as it.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
Hasta la vista, Baby

Woah, thanks HighGain510! That was a very informative post

Egnater does make amps or just the modules? I remember reading that Egnater modules doesn't work for amps with more than one channel...
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
egnater's site: http://egnater.com/

here's 3 clips of my RG75G2: Distortion2 @9 oclock Distortion2 cranked all the way up Distortion1 @9 oclock

əBCAir
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #11
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Hey Emperoff,

Bruce Egnater has his own amplifier lineup which is similar to the Randall stuff as he came up with the design and licensed Randall to produce the MTS series. Here's the main differences:

Bruce makes the MOD50 and MOD100 in both head and combo versions (MOD50 has two preamp module slots and the MOD100 has three preamp module slots) as well as the M4 rack-mount preamp (has space for 4 modules, requires a power amp as well to run it into a cabinet). Bruce also makes his own modules which are different in that it has TWO channels per preamp module (individual gain and volume for each channel, you can run it as a boost in essence although I've found the E'Rect sounds different on both channels! ) and something about the way the amp switches (I believe it uses relays instead of whatever the other option is for channel switching?) is different from the Randall amps. The modules and amp are made with higher quality parts and it shows in the tone for sure! Some of the Egnater modules have a more "vintage" tone to them but honestly, for the most part they are WAY closer to the original amps than the Randall stuff is IMO. Bruce originally made his MTS stuff with single channel modules (I have two dual channel eggie modules and I have a single channel eggie module on the way that I just scored!). Also, I haven't tried it out yet but from what I've heard, Bruce will also do custom-orders on the modules. Like I said, I cannot confirm that 100% (I could ask him next time I have to give him a call) but I've spoken with him on the phone several times before and really can't say enough good things about him. Very cool guy and seemed very accomodating too. I am thinking about calling him to see if maybe he could make me a Diezel VH-4 module with channels 3 and 4 of the VH-4 on there.... that would be KILLER!!!

Randall makes the Egnater-licensed versions of the MTS amps. These amps all use SINGLE channel preamp modules. They CAN accept both single channel and dual channel Egnater preamp modules, however you can only use the FIRST channel on the preamp modules if they are the dual channel versions. Randall has the RM100, RM80 (it's really the RM50 as a combo), RM50, RM20 and the RM4 (rackmount preamp, same as the Egnater just single-channel only). The Randall stuff DOES sound good, don't get me wrong, there's just *something* missing from the tone. Seems 2 dimensional, I guess, is the best way to describe it. There are, however, way more Randall modules than there are Egnater modules, plus Randall has the 1086 signature module which was probably one of my favorites they put out. Most of their modules don't really sound close to the originals... the Recto.... forget about it! Not even close! There are mods for the Randall modules that really help some of the high gain modules to sound better, as well as the clean modules. I modded one of the Blackface Twin modules myself and it was one of the best clean tones I've ever heard! The E'Rect dual channel eggie module sounds KILLER though!

Hope that helps bro, if you need any more information on the amps or any of the modules (I think I played like 70% of all the Randall modules and probably like 40-50% of the Egnater modules now!) feel free to let me know! I'm a gear slut.... I have bought and sold amps and guitars for the past 5 years or so WAY more than a normal person should!

Oh yeah for the guy talking about the Randall cabs, they makes KILLER cabinets! I owned one of the RS125CX cabinets myself (it has two Celestion Vintage 30's up top and one Eminence Legend 15" down on the bottom and was ported as well at the bottom) and it was an AWESOME cabinet! I sold it to one of the mods on here in fact, pretty sure he liked it too hehehe....

Unread 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
<3's Tsukasa

Randall also has the UltraXL module, which from what I've heard has more gain than the devil himself (like 10 metal zones hooked together into a triple rectifier).

I would LOVE to get egnater stuff, but since he makes all the stuff it's so freaking expensive...not all too bad when compared to the other boutique amps, but compared to the randall stuff it is. China vs. USA, I guess.

əBCAir
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Cold As Ice

Ehhhh I think the Ultra XL is over-hyped honestly.... they delayed it so long and when it came out I was REALLY hoping to like it. Didn't work out that way for me. I know a lot of guys on the MTS board bought them and I saw them up in the classified section within a week or two. If you do go with Randall, for high gain I HIGHLY recommend the Dan Donegan signature 1086 module as that was THE most versatile high gain preamp module they released. It has a mid switch and a gain + or - switch as well that change the tone significantly! To my ear it sounds like a hot-rodded Marshall mixed with a bit of Boogie tone to it. Very versatile and one of the best sounding. If you do go that route let me save you some money and tell you the Recto module doesn't sound a THING like a real recto, it's WAY fuzzy and buzzy (kinda like the newer rectos hehe.... ) and sounds kinda thin and harsh. The best modules from Randall are the 1086, Blackface (NEEDS to be modded though, mod involves removing a resistor and replacing it with a different value), TopBoost (again, needs clean mod) and the Plexi. Some of the other ones are okay but those are my favorites from Randall. Like I said, the only thing I'm wary of with Randall is the reliability of the amps based on what I've heard from a lot of the guys on the MTS board. It seems the RM50HB head didn't have as many problems as the RM100 does, but again I owned both and had NO issues with mine whatsoever.

The Egnater stuff is very expensive, I agree with you there for sure! My amp and and modules was over 2K, however I finally found an amp that I won't be selling anytime soon and anyone that knows me at all is utterly shocked by that fact! I shot Bruce an email last night about the possibility of a Diezel VH-4 module so hopefully I hear back with good news!

I just bought an older Egnater single channel Hi Gain module which is supposed to sound similar to a SLO-100 so I might have to pick up some 6L6GC's for when I try that one out. Oh yeah totally forgot one of my FAVORITE things about the MTS stuff besides the swappable preamp modules: SO EASY TO BIAS! You can buy a cheap multimeter from radioshack and a screwdriver and you can re-bias your amp in about 5-10 minutes! The MTS stuff can accept EL-34s, 6L6s, EL-84s (if you use THD Yellowjackets, of course) and 6V6s. Another cool feature on the Egnater MOD heads is that it comes with a high power/low power switch that really DOES work and I still get great tone with the low power setting! That's all I can use at home, on high power I'd have the cops knocking on the door in no time. If you put a set of 6V6s MOD50 head or RM50 I think the wattage of the amp is dropped down to 30 watts or something like that which is cool for guys who have to play at home only and can't have a 100 watt monster running! Hope that helps! I'm not paid by Bruce or Randall (in case anyone was wondering lol ), I just dig the MTS stuff and I've had a lot of experience with it over the past 2 years so I figured I would contribute what I could to the discussion! Sorry if my posts were a bit long-winded!

Unread 12-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Hasta la vista, Baby

Thanks both of you by your help!

Nice clips Jeff! I liked the Killswitch one. Definitely sounds better than my Spider, even I found it a bit dark sounding. Maybe was the recording, or maybe it's just got a good dose of bass on it The G3 is supposed to sound even better, isn't it? In that case, I'd be very tempted of buying one

The thing about the Egnater sutff is that is very expensive, and In the first post I said that I was thinking about buying a Randall because I have a dealer nearby, and they're the amps that I can get for less money. Here in Spain we always pay the retail price of everything, we don't have any online store like Musiciansfriend or Music123 that offers deals on every thing. So finding a dealer is the only way to save a bit of money . If I had more cash to spend, I'd try the Egnater stuff for sure
Unread 12-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

InTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud ofInTheRavensName has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
RH100 G2?

Sabaton
InTheRavensName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
Cold As Ice

If you go the Randall route and you want a REALLY nice recto sound call up Bruce (or his business partner Frank) and ask them if they still have any of the cheaper single channel Egnater modules in stock and then you could use that with the Randall to sound a bit better and it will be less expensive than a dual channel module that you won't be able to use the second channel on anyways! Good luck with the search, if you have a dealer in Spain that will let you try one out check the Randall stuff there and see if you like them! Some people love them, it's all personal taste.

Btw, just noticed you're from Spain brother! I'm half Spanish myself!

Unread 12-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'll preface this by saying that I have only the vaguest familiarity with the Randall/Egnater stuff, but I'm 99% sure that I've heard on numerous occasions that Bruce recommends going with the Randall over his own gear, since his is now out of production and to his ears the sound quality is the same, and he doesn't feel the price difference is warranted...?

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 01:40 AM   #18
Cold As Ice

Uhhhhh where and when were these several occasions? That doesn't sound like something Bruce would say. I just spoke with him on the phone not even a week ago and they are very much still in production. He also has said MANY times that the differences between his own lineup and that or Randall are significant because they skimp on the parts whereas he uses all higher quality parts for the modules and amps as well as better switching. I highly doubt the man would slag his own amplification lineup, especially when he's still in business! I have a feeling if you got that information second-hand it wasn't a reliable source as I could NEVER see Bruce saying any of that ever! To clarify though, Bruce is still producing amps and modules like he always has, I just bought some modules and an Egnater M4 from them like maybe 3 months ago! I traded a guy my M4 and a VHT 2/50/2 for his MOD50 head (also very new) so I know Bruce isn't planning on going out of business anytime soon!

Unread 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Hasta la vista, Baby

BUMP!

Hey, I'm back!

Since I found a buddy who wants to buy my spider, I'm finally buying the amp.

I'm almost decided for the G3 but I don't know which one so I have a few questions...

1-Is really worth to buy the 300W head instead of the 150W one? It's just about volume or there're more things to justufy it?

2-Their 2x12 + 1x15 cabs look really well for playing with seven strings, anyone tried them? Again, there are 2 cabs almost identical, but with a HUGE price difference: The RS125CX and the RS125XL. Which one should I pick up?

3-And we have the 200W Combos with effects too, any good about them?

I don't want to sell my kidneys for upgrading my rig, just want and improvement over my spider. Please, enlight me with your amp wisdom
Unread 01-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #20
<3's Tsukasa

Any of them will be like 50 times better than the spider

Everybody seems to hate open back cabs (teh combos) but I like the sound I get from mine, speakers crap out faster that way but they still sound awesome, I've never had a problem with "tightness" but it is a Randall, lol, kinda hard for it not to be

I have no idea the real difference between the G3 and XL series 2x12 1x15 cabs but everyone that has one seems to love it, so I guess they're awesome.

150W vs 300W: no idea, but that rating is into 4 Ohms for the record.

əBCAir
Unread 01-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #21
Cold As Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
1-Is really worth to buy the 300W head instead of the 150W one? It's just about volume or there're more things to justufy it?

2-Their 2x12 + 1x15 cabs look really well for playing with seven strings, anyone tried them? Again, there are 2 cabs almost identical, but with a HUGE price difference: The RS125CX and the RS125XL. Which one should I pick up?

3-And we have the 200W Combos with effects too, any good about them?
Okee here we go!

1) No, stick with the 150 watt head bro. Unless you are playing an arena/stadium with no mic and no PA (which even the guys playing at those gigantic events use!) you will NEVER need that 300W monster. On solid state/hybrid stuff you never need the huge wattage, just something fairly high for decent headroom on the clean stuff.

2) I have owned the RS125CX and loved it! It's a very cool cab and I don't know why they didn't charge more for that one. The RS125XL is "supposed' to be made with higher quality wood, although the CX was DAMN ....ing heavy (think like 90 lbs?) and was bigger than a Mesa oversized cab! I don't think it's worth the upcharge for the XL, but then again, I haven't played that cab. The CX was badass and I can say that from experience so I would say save some dough and grab a CX.

3) I haven't tried the 200 watt combo with the effects but in my experience (aside from the H&K Switchblade of course) most amplifiers that have effects integrated into them are generally pretty crappy. I think your best bet here is to grab a 150W head, the RS125CX cab and buy some stompboxes to run in the loop and you'll be good to go man! Good luck!

Unread 01-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #22
Hasta la vista, Baby

Thanks man! That was very helpful!

I just have one more question! All the reviews I've seen about the G3s say that they have a monstruous amount of bass. Would be the 2x12 +1x15 cab a good choice? will the 1x15 speaker help bass sound better, or it will maximize the overall bass responses, making it insanely overpowered?
Unread 01-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #23
Cold As Ice

The 15" speaker, IMHO, focuses that tight bass and adds some oomph to your sound. Also if you didn't see it, the RS125CX is ported at the bottom as well which adds to getting that thick sound. If you're playing on a seven and using this cab, you will be able to get away with keeping the bass knob turned down and allowing the speakers to make up for the bass response. You won't have to worry about NOT having enough bass, I tell you that much! Another benefit is that this cab really makes playing clean passages stand out. It's very powerful! You just need to EQ it properly, and if you can't get the EXACT sound you want, pick up a GE-7 or other EQ pedal and dial it in a bit better. You shouldn't have a problem though, just don't put the bass at 10 or anything!

Unread 01-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #24
Hasta la vista, Baby

That sounds like it can deliver a SERIOUS CRUSHING TONE

If I finally buy it, I'll post some pics of the monster!
Unread 01-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #25
Cold As Ice

Sweet, good luck man-o!