homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cyril v

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
IdentityDevice

IdentityDevice is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pod hd pro?

Hello everyone. Ok so I own a triple rec half stack and it never gets any use. Im a drummer in a band but I love to write and play guitar at home just for myself and would love to have the ability to demo stuff on my own like I see so many people doing these days. Thinking about selling the mesa for maybe a line 6 pod hd pro. Was gonna go for the axe fx but its a little pricey and I figure if I can get enough from the amp I could get a somewhat cheaper rack mount and maybe some additional stuff that id need like superior drummer and some kind of recording software or something. Im a total noob at home recording. Would I need to run the rack mount through a power amp of some kind or just straight into a computer? What else would I need to get some quality home recordings going? As of now im just using riffworks t4 and podfarm that came with the line 6 UX2 but that is only taking me so far if ya know what i mean. Is this a dumb idea? Hahaha. Any help or suggestions welcome thanx a lot. Ian.
IdentityDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
You can use it straight into a computer, it'll even replace your UX2 as it has a USB interface built in. Get yourself a good pair of monitors and your set (like the Yamaha HS80M)

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
go for the pod hd pro, and the extra money goes to whatever else you need. i wouldn't hop on an Axe fx unless i had every else i would ever need

like you said, superior drummer, aswell as what sihan said, monitors, extra cash and the hd pro will go a long way

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
IdentityDevice

Cool, thanx dudes! Really appreciate the help/advice. If I can sell that amp ill most likely go for it. Ill probably need a midi keyboard as well huh? Would probably make things a lot easier and faster. What recording program would you guys recommend?
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityDevice View Post
Cool, thanx dudes! Really appreciate the help/advice. If I can sell that amp ill most likely go for it. Ill probably need a midi keyboard as well huh? Would probably make things a lot easier and faster. What recording program would you guys recommend?
PC or MAC?

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
IdentityDevice

Hp laptop
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
IdentityDevice

Or pc I should say....sorry lol
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Have you tried out Reaper? Pretty cool program IMO, free to try with no limitations and it is cheap as hell if you want to buy it. It has a ton of features, highly customizable and pretty easy to use. I actually used it for free for about a year or so, then when v4 came out I dropped the cash on it, well worth it.
cwhitey2 likes this.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril v View Post
Have you tried out Reaper? Pretty cool program IMO, free to try with no limitations and it is cheap as hell if you want to buy it. It has a ton of features, highly customizable and pretty easy to use. I actually used it for free for about a year or so, then when v4 came out I dropped the cash on it, well worth it.
yep, reaper is a great free program

if you want a bought and paid for program there's also Pro Tools (which can be used with any interface now) and Cubase

Unread 11-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Another vote for Reaper! Works great, is free (or cheap if you want to pay for it) and feels pro.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

javiereu is on a distinguished road
Go for an eleven rack, it comes with pro tools and sounds GREAT.
javiereu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiereu View Post
Go for an eleven rack, it comes with pro tools and sounds GREAT.
I've tried the eleven rack a few times at my buddies place and neither he nor I could ever get it to really sound good for metal, not bad peice of kit, but it needs a software kick in the ass.

sad that Avid would put out something that doesn't quite get there when the line 6 pod hd pro can

Unread 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

pitbulltodd is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
1 more vote for Reaper. it is amazing and not too complicated.
pitbulltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
IdentityDevice

Awesome well you guys are a huge help. Thanx again to all of ya. I know pretty much nothing but really wanna get into demoing my own stuff cuz I have so many riffs and song ideas and I wanna work on em at my own pace as im sure you can all understand/relate. Definitely gonna look into the reaper program since its getting so many "votes" Haha. Prolly gonna go with the hd pro. If I can sell my amp. I've been looking on ebay to see how much triple rec half stacks tend to go for. Looking to sell it for around $1,500. Think that's reasonable? The cab is got some wear around the edges and has "sls" spray painted on the back. I used to be in straight line stitch and got it from them when they got signed and I was no longer in the band but im sure I could spray paint over it. But it sounds really good still. Any advice welcome. Thanks again dudes. You guys are awesome!
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

pitbulltodd is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
FYI

hopefully u have a pretty decent computer because a lot of the plugins are cpu hogs. if your computer isn't top notch it might not be a bad idea to pick up a used desktop. look for gaming pc's. they usually have what you'll need for home recording.
pitbulltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityDevice View Post
Awesome well you guys are a huge help. Thanx again to all of ya. I know pretty much nothing but really wanna get into demoing my own stuff cuz I have so many riffs and song ideas and I wanna work on em at my own pace as im sure you can all understand/relate. Definitely gonna look into the reaper program since its getting so many "votes" Haha. Prolly gonna go with the hd pro. If I can sell my amp. I've been looking on ebay to see how much triple rec half stacks tend to go for. Looking to sell it for around $1,500. Think that's reasonable? The cab is got some wear around the edges and has "sls" spray painted on the back. I used to be in straight line stitch and got it from them when they got signed and I was no longer in the band but im sure I could spray paint over it. But it sounds really good still. Any advice welcome. Thanks again dudes. You guys are awesome!
$1500 is reasonalbe indeed, seeing as what they go for new anyhow.

and as for what buddy said, if your comp is old, might want to upgrade a few things or get a PC with a good dual or quad core, lots of ram and a shit tonne of space, especially if you don't plan on using an external hard drive