homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Darkanus will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How can I get an Opeth tone with my gear?

For some time I try to immitate their Blackwater Park/Ghost Reveries albums heavy sound but with no success.
I like how it stays so clear, natural and articulate. It seems that there isn't much gain involved, while it still sounds really heavy and aggressive.
I have a Carvin V3M equipped with a full JJ tubes set, both EL84's and 12AX7's, so it sounds much tighter than the stock one. The cab is a MESA 2X12 Rectifier, GT10 for effects and EQ [I plan to trade it for a POD HD500], and the guitars I use are a CORT G290 and a Cort X6 [BKP Aftermath in the bridge....yeah, I know what your'e thinking...].

Can you please give me some directions? Amp's EQ/GT10 settings/etc...
Maybe I need to get a boost pedal [TS808?] for extra tightness/clarity or the GT10 will do?
Any piece of advice will help. Thanks in advance! [=
Darkanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

BabUShka is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
More mids, less gain and pick harder instead of adding extra gain to distort the sound
I dont know how the Carvin sounds, but try to imitate the Marshall/Laney-ish sound without the multi-fx in front.. Really clear distortion at lower gain settings.
Adding a TS in front might help too, when I play opeth with my JVM i always turn down the gain knob and pick a little bit harder.. Sometimes boost the signal with a TS for more clarity, less mudd and still tight bottom
BabUShka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Pron

cGoEcYk is a jewel in the rough
It's hard to immitate the sounds on albums, there is so much going on with any mix (got to admit that guy gets amazing clean tones, especially on new stuff... IMO the more recent albums have overall better sound quality). I can assure you, Opeth doesn't even sound like Opeth!

Are you way off base from the tone you want to get, or almost there?
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ Did you even listen to the last album? It sounds like they used gp5's distorted midi sound.
cyril v, AySay, Gyro and 3 others like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Banned

thedarkoceans is just really nicethedarkoceans is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
^ Did you even listen to the last album? It sounds like they used gp5's distorted midi sound.

thedarkoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Underworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to allUnderworld is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post

Ahah! This, or they forgot to check the guitar's controls and played the whole album on the neck pickup with the tone knob at zero

<a href=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Progenies/452143194873352 target=_blank>https://www.facebook.com/pages/Proge...52143194873352</a>
Underworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Lycanthropy1313 is on a distinguished road
The rhythm guitars for Heritage was all Stratocaster (SSS) and JCM-800 2210...with some PRS and AxeFX here and there. It was supposed to sound thinner. Mike said he was tired of hearing that generic thick huge Rectumfrier guitar sound.
Bigfan, Adari, CurTro-P and 1 others like this.
Lycanthropy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropy1313 View Post
The rhythm guitars for Heritage was all Stratocaster (SSS) and JCM-800 2210...with some PRS and AxeFX here and there. It was supposed to sound thinner. Mike said he was tired of hearing that generic thick huge Rectumfrier guitar sound.
And Lars was also sick of hearing clear and pounding drums when Metallica recorded St. Anger...

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Hahaha St. Anger...Metal's funniest joke.
Sephael and Dead Undead like this.
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Quax is a jewel in the rough
You're not seriously comparing St. Anger to Heritage?
As for Opeth, try to go for a Rectifier-like Sound and tweak it a bit. That should probably do it.
Quax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Droman is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
And Lars was also sick of hearing clear and pounding drums when Metallica recorded St. Anger...
Droman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quax View Post
You're not seriously comparing St. Anger to Heritage?
As for Opeth, try to go for a Rectifier-like Sound and tweak it a bit. That should probably do it.
Of course not, I am just saying that the guitar tone on Heritage, no matter how vintage they were going for, was about as good of an idea than was the drum sound on St. Anger.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Dvaienat is a jewel in the rough
If what I've read before is correct, Opeth have used a Boss GT-10 through Laney amps on those albums. So if you want to nail the tone, your GT-10 is ideal. You won't be needing an HD500.
Dvaienat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Their tone uses very little gain in order to keep those big chords clear.
Bigfan and WarOfAttrition like this.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
According to their own website, Blackwater Park was a Laney VH100L, an "ENGL 100W" and a Peavey 5150.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

Darkanus will become famous soon enough
I know they use the GT10 mosty live, not sure about studio use. Their live sound is amazing, and Mikael said they are using the GT10's distortion rather than the amp's. I find it hard to believe this. I can't get a descent clear, distorted sound from my unit, no matter how i tweak it. I mainly use it's effects, looper and usb for recording. A pod has all this+higher quality amp sim's and much more..And I want to use it for modern high gain deathcore stuff aswell...

Heritage lacks that signature Opeth heavy tone, but I think it still sounds pretty great in its way. Mikael wanted to do something different...St Anger isn't a comparison

Generally, I know how a Rectifier/Marshall sounds like, but the problem for me is to understand their character and nuances to a level that I can utilize my hearing to immitate these sounds. My ears aren't developed enough yet.
So if possible, specific directions like EQ/amp setting/effects/etc will be more helpful.

Maybe my demands are too high, but it seems for now that i'm far off my goal. \=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Darkanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #17
Banned

When I saw them here I hated his tone.
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Go To Bed Jessica is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
St Anger was a bad attempt at a metal record.

Heritage is a good attempt at a prog-rock record by a metal band.

I don't think it is even worthwhile to compare the guitar tones on Heritage to other Opeth recordings. For starters Heritage was recorded mostly on strats at standard tuning which already puts it far from their previous work. I have had Heritage on high rotation for a few weeks and I'm really enjoying it.

FWIW I agree with the less gain, more mids, harder picking thing. I also think that it's always really hard trying to cop album sounds with a single guitar and amp setup, when in all likelihood what you hear on the record is a mixture of several different guitars/amps/takes.
Bigfan likes this.
Go To Bed Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

BabUShka is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthropy1313 View Post
Hahaha St. Anger...Metal's funniest joke.
No.. Thats Lulu..
BabUShka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

Go To Bed Jessica is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabUShka View Post
No.. Thats Lulu..
Some things are so bad that they become good. Lulu is not one of those things. I think it went all the way full circle and became bad squared.
Dead Undead, Quitty and Darkanus like this.
Go To Bed Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #21
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Bed Jessica View Post
Some things are so bad that they become good. Lulu is not one of those things. I think it went all the way full circle and became bad squared.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Try a VH100R/GH100L. They have a voice that is undeniably Laney, and undeniably Opeth. I can get pretty close to his rhythm and clean tones (that truly awesome lead tone still eludes me) with my VH100R through an Emperor cab. It doesn't take much gain, as everyone has said. A powerful picking hand is your friend.

I'm not exactly familiar with your gear, but you could probably get close to it. Be generous with mids and presence.

"if everyone thought i was as funny as i think i am, everyone would quote me in their signatures" - Grand Moff Tim
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

havocvulture10 will become famous soon enough
I'm pretty sure they've listed the gear that they used for each album on their website. Yes i realize you might not have what they used but it might give you an idea.
havocvulture10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

If you want to try for an earlier Opeth tone, MAYH and Still Life were Gibson + 5150
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
9V inside

Key_Maker is a jewel in the rough
If the only thing that you listen is metal, metulz and brootalz, it's natural to find the Heritage tone horrible, thank jebus, internet and my father, i listen more stuff and i really think that the guitar sound totally fits the album.

If you want Opeth tone you need meaty sound from your guitar (PRS), Medium gain pickups, a very articulated amp (GH50 it's awesome, Renegade65 works, jvm too) and a bit of tweaking.

EARTHQUAKE!
Key_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote