homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Mechanix11 is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need some opinions about the Ibanez TBX150H

Hi, well is coming my birthday and i want a good amp for playing some thrash, mainly using it for gigs and band rehearsals.
Well i saw this Ibanez TBX150 and i saw that it have good price and about the sounds it was good.
So i would like to know if this amp is good for making some thrash-y sounds like Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Testament...
Also i want to hear some thoughts about the amp.
Other thing, should i buy it with the Ibanez cab or combine with other else?

Thanks In Advance.
Mechanix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

Soubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix11 View Post
Hi, well is coming my birthday and i want a good amp for playing some thrash, mainly using it for gigs and band rehearsals.
Well i saw this Ibanez TBX150 and i saw that it have good price and about the sounds it was good.
So i would like to know if this amp is good for making some thrash-y sounds like Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Testament...
Also i want to hear some thoughts about the amp.
Other thing, should i buy it with the Ibanez cab or combine with other else?

Thanks In Advance.
I've owned one and its a very UNFORGIVING AMP, if you're ok with that then get it man otherwise look for a Peavey XXL, Crate GX130C, or a Crate GX900 or GX2200

check out my band AORTIC:
http://www.facebook.com/Aortic
Soubi7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
Warrior of tru metal

Albionic is a jewel in the rough
perhaps these reviews will help

Peavey XXL

Ibanez TBX 150H - Awesome amp for metal!!
Albionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
IMO, with an EQ in the loop, its an awesome budget amp. Perfect for thrash since it can be uber tight with the X-mode on.

As for the cab, if you plan on gigging with it and are on a budget, get the ibby cab. It'll let you use the full 150 watts the amp offers since it has a 4 ohm input. The only problem I've really heard about the Ibby cab is that it has very fragile tolex, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you do plan on getting the amp, try getting one used. I got mine pretty damn cheap, for $100 used.

And as for an EQ, try the Danelectro Fish & Chips. Its super quiet and shapes the tone perfectly for me.
Albionic likes this.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I had one for a bit and I liked it, very easy to dial in, but definitely get a Eq pedal (I recommend the MXR 10 band Eq pedal) and a noise gate for it.

It's a good amp to start off with or use as a backup.

Video of me using that amp somewhere in Arizona :P (mostly "lead" = rhythm parts)
mgcasella likes this.

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

definitively i'm gonna get this amp with the ibby cab so i hope i can buy it for my birthday and i also i would get some pedals like the EQ
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Banned

ibanezRG1527 can only hope to improve
Quote:
definitively i'm gonna get this amp with the ibby cab so i hope i can buy it for my birthday and i also i would get some pedals like the EQ
the ibanez cab will do for now but try and find a better one. even if its a 2x12 cab for now. because the ibanez cab doesnt sound very good. at least, not to my ears anyway.
ibanezRG1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Yeah I'd go for a decent 2x12 cab if you're strapped for cash otherwise.

The TBX150 to me comes off as an oversized practice amp but I've never owned one so I don't know how reliable it is. If it stands up to abuse on the road and you can get years of use out of it then it's a great amp, I'll say.

I tried one and it was a ....ing gain monster, I actually really liked it. Instant brutal death metal tone with just a bit of tweaking and yes, it is super tight. I just wouldn't buy one because it just seems to be in the same league as the Line 6 Spider head. It has a low price because it's "cheap," not because it's "inexpensive," if you know what I mean.

If you're really strapped for cash then the best option is probably to save up a bit more regardless so you can get a nicer amp and cab but if you really like the Ibanez head then to hell with everything else.

I've heard great things about the Peavey XXL, and the Supreme heads sound pretty good too if you're into solid state amps. I happen to be.

EDIT: Yeah the TBX150 might even be too much. When I think "thrash" I don't picture a super saturated tone, I think more of a classic Marshall grind. Trust me, the TBX150 has stupid amounts of gain. It's goregrind in a box.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

well this would be my first real amp and i really like it the Ibanez amp, about the amp i think i t would be great to take some Exodus, Testament... tones (in my opinion), well i cant find any Peavey XXL, i would go for both Ibanez head and cab.
Unread 11-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
DO CEO / RHLC ©

AeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to behold
i owned it, it's very trashy sounding and really tight, takes pedals really good and with the Mid Sweep you can shape your tone to whatever you want. With a decent cab it gets even better, i tried mine with an oversized mesa, and it gave me really good tone. you can't go wrong for 250. Although, if you want tube, get a Bugera V55h, some say they're like Mesa Lonestar sounding on a budget, with a boost on front you can go wherever you want for only 100 more.

Product of my boreness:
https://soundcloud.com/aeonsolus

AeonSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

sugarman is on a distinguished road
My old band's other guitarist have the combo version with 2x12. I think its a good sounding amp, but you should put an eq in the loop. Little fizzy,but usuable.

sugarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

one question, why i need an EQ pedal for the amp?
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
one question, why i need an EQ pedal for the amp?
On its own, the amp could sound a little fizzy. With the EQ, you could dial out some of that high-end fizz.

Its also good for shaping the overall tone. Without the EQ pedal, it was a pretty good amp. With the EQ, it became a metal monster.
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

cool and what EQ pedal would you recommend to me??
the MXR 10 band or the Danelectro Fish and Chips?
I need one that help me for my need because i really like to play metal (thrash) and well which one would be better?
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Focus

KAMI is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
cool and what EQ pedal would you recommend to me??
the MXR 10 band or the Danelectro Fish and Chips?
I need one that help me for my need because i really like to play metal (thrash) and well which one would be better?
scrap the ibby and get this head:

DEAN GUITARS DIME HEAD - Thomann UK Cyberstore

and this cab:

HARLEY BENTON G212 VINTAGE - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Dime Amplification D100 - Metal - YouTube

Dime Amplification D100 - Playthrough - YouTube

you'll thank me later

https://soundcloud.com/luc-preston

Line 6 is underrated!!!
KAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

looks good but for the moment i would prefer the ibby at this moment, i dont have enough money at this time...
but the Dean Dime looks very good
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

hey i'm going to buy the Ibanez head, but i'm in doubt if to buy a 4x12 or a 2x12 cab, if i buy a 2x12 cab like this one:
Blackstar Venue Series HTV-212 160W 2x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
it would sound good and it would be great for rehearsals and gigs?
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #18
Tears Are My Bidet

Quote:
hey i'm going to buy the Ibanez head, but i'm in doubt if to buy a 4x12 or a 2x12 cab, if i buy a 2x12 cab like this one:
Blackstar Venue Series HTV-212 160W 2x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
it would sound good and it would be great for rehearsals and gigs?
Maybe rehearsal, but it won't really cut well for gigs unless the gig has a PA. This amp was meant for a 4ohm cab for gigging to get the full 150W. I've cranked my amp with a 16ohm cab, and its only good enough for rehearsal.

EDIT: If you can, try to get the Bugera 2x12. It can be used in 4 ohms. Its rated less then the Ibby, but you shouldn't be diming the amp, though. And when you get money in the future, you could put more powerful speakers in it.

Or if you want the Blackstar 2x12, see what the speakers are rated. If they're rated at 8 ohms, look up a diagram to see how to rewire it to parallel.
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

mmmhh well, i could afford the 4x12 cab (the ibanez one) but the problem its the noise and i thought that buying a 2x12 cab would take the rehearsals and gigs. Also the bugeras cabinets are good too? because i saw this one
Bugera 412F-BK Classic 200W 4x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
and it looks good.

EDIT: Well i dont know which cabinet i coul mix with the Ibanez head so, give me some recommedations please, i only can spend 250-300 dlls.
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHasTheJazzHands View Post
Maybe rehearsal, but it won't really cut well for gigs unless the gig has a PA. This amp was meant for a 4ohm cab for gigging to get the full 150W. I've cranked my amp with a 16ohm cab, and its only good enough for rehearsal.

EDIT: If you can, try to get the Bugera 2x12. It can be used in 4 ohms. Its rated less then the Ibby, but you shouldn't be diming the amp, though. And when you get money in the future, you could put more powerful speakers in it.

Or if you want the Blackstar 2x12, see what the speakers are rated. If they're rated at 8 ohms, look up a diagram to see how to rewire it to parallel.
I found the Bugera 2x12 in a very good price, so i think i would get it, so the question is, that would take a good sound for rehearsals and maybe for gigs?
Also i'm a bit worried about the ohms, so that means i only need to buy to the head a cabinet which can handle 4 ohms?? Correct me if i'm wrong
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
Tears Are My Bidet

Quote:
I found the Bugera 2x12 in a very good price, so i think i would get it, so the question is, that would take a good sound for rehearsals and maybe for gigs?
Also i'm a bit worried about the ohms, so that means i only need to buy to the head a cabinet which can handle 4 ohms?? Correct me if i'm wrong
If you want to be heard, get something thats 8 ohms or less. 16 ohms = 50 watts. 8 ohms = 100w. 4 ohms = 150w.
The Bugera would be a good start. If you're not happy with it, just return it and see if you can get the Ibanez 4x12 or see if you can find an old Peavey 412M (or 412MS) with Celestion G12K-85 and rewire it to 4 ohms. The Peavey you want looks like a Marshall cabinet, grillcloth and piping. The metal grill one can be found cheaper but doesn't sound as good, but can have new speakers installed.
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
Tears Are My Bidet

Double post.
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

thanks dude, but in some forums that i posted too, some people told me that te Ibanez head it doest good at all, i dont care about its my decision after all. But i searched for other heads and i found a Randall RX120rh and sounds very good. Other thing a 50W tube head would be louder enough?
I would choose the Bugera cab all the way, only i would like to combine it with a good head for metal, and my price range max is $500
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
with 500$ you're well into the Bugera range. I'd suggest you check out the Bugera 6262, it's a 6505+ clone, sounds great.
Albionic likes this.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #25
Warrior of tru metal

Albionic is a jewel in the rough
yes 50 tube watts more than loud enough
Albionic is offline   Reply With Quote