homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question ISP Decimator: Normal & G String versions - differences

Hey guys! I'm looking for a noise suppressor and after a few searching, the answer couldn't be clearer: ISP Decimator rules, there is nothing better that that. The thing is, they're expensive as hell and if I wanted one I would need to save for half an year or so. However, I have a guy selling me one Pro Rack Stereo (not the G version) for 250€. It's a great deal considering it's 460€ retail price. Is it that different from the G string version? Do you think I should go for it?

Cheers!
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
No help? I know this may have been discussed before, but I'd still like to know if you think I should buy it or not.
Unread 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Jzbass25 is just really niceJzbass25 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I think the g-string has extra inputs to facilitate noise reduction in pedals as well as the amp itself? I'm not sure though.

In the jungle you must wait, until the dice read 5 or 8
Jzbass25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Im assuming you're talking about the Pro rack vs the Pro rack G?

The pedals are the Decimator and the Decimator G-string.

Decimator: 1 input 1 output. I use it infront of my preamp (after guitar). You can use it in your loop too.
G-string: 2 sets of in/out. So you put it infront of your amp and in the loop (or after preamp)
Pro rack: 1in/1out
Pro rack G: Same setup as g-string
Pro rack G Stereo: Same set up as g-string, but only useful if you're running stereo say a stereo effects to different channels of a power amplifier.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Thanks, guys! It's not that I know a lot about those stuff, but it really helped me see there were big differences. However, since I can't afford a new Pro Rack G, do you think I should go for the Pro Rack for 250€?
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Divine Paradøx

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
i'd think gstring pedal woild be better option than regular prorack
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephael View Post
i'd think gstring pedal woild be better option than regular prorack
you mean the g-string pedal'?
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

incinerated_guitar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The g series responds to the guitar signal. The weaker you play, the weaker the gate. If you stop instantly, it closes instantly, let your note fade, the gate slowly closes with the note. G series basically reacts with your guitar, much better IMO. The regular is just like a super nice boss ns-2
incinerated_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Divine Paradøx

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerated_guitar View Post
. The regular is just like a super nice boss ns-2
na2 can do x pattern, regular decimator is in and out only.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
The g series responds to the guitar signal. The weaker you play, the weaker the gate. If you stop instantly, it closes instantly, let your note fade, the gate slowly closes with the note. G series basically reacts with your guitar, much better IMO. The regular is just like a super nice boss ns-2
So basically, for 250€, I'd rather get a G-string pedal than the regular Pro Rack?
Unread 10-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

I've heard mixed from other people about the g-string. I don't have one personally but I can just refer you to older threads on the matter. People seem to think that ISP's claim that you don't have to set the gate between distorted and clean tons is a bit of an exaggeration.

I would just get the pedal and put it in a rack shelf. I've also been considering making a half rack chassis for it.

Unread 10-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

clark81 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ok , the G string RACK version responds to the guitar signal and makes up the threshold corresponding to it. The G string PEDAL version just cuts unwanted noise that your pickups might capture, even radio signal or hum.
The only difference in the rack except for the threshold system, is that it accepts both +4 and -10 signal and that there is a version also for stereo setup
I own both and I strongly recommend the rack version as long as you need its features, otherwise the pedal will do the same job

Hope this cleared the waters a bit
clark81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark81 View Post
Ok , the G string RACK version responds to the guitar signal and makes up the threshold corresponding to it. The G string PEDAL version just cuts unwanted noise that your pickups might capture, even radio signal or hum.
The only difference in the rack except for the threshold system, is that it accepts both +4 and -10 signal and that there is a version also for stereo setup
I own both and I strongly recommend the rack version as long as you need its features, otherwise the pedal will do the same job

Hope this cleared the waters a bit
But you're talking about the G version aren't you? I'm comparing the Pro Rack version (not Pro Rack G) and the Decimator G-String Pedal. The normal Pro Rack retails for 450€ and the pedal for 250€. I have a guy selling me the normal Pro Rack for 250€, do you think I should go for it or buy the new g-string pedal?

EDIT:

Actually, I can get the regular Pro Rack for 200€
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Try finding out what you need with your rackhead/situation.

Turn the guitar volume off, then crank the amp channels. Try this again but turn the guitar volume up while muting all the strings. Is the preamp section noisy at the gain setting you like? If it is, you'll probably need a decimator that can go in your fx loop.

The decimator in front of your amp will keep the staccato and tight picking insanely immediate, in the loop it kills the noise for a beautiful dead silence (provided you don't have any hum in your power section). My Engl has a noise gate after the pre so all I needed was the regular pedal- you may or may not need both.

Unread 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by athawulf View Post
Try finding out what you need with your rackhead/situation.

Turn the guitar volume off, then crank the amp channels. Try this again but turn the guitar volume up while muting all the strings. Is the preamp section noisy at the gain setting you like? If it is, you'll probably need a decimator that can go in your fx loop.

The decimator in front of your amp will keep the staccato and tight picking insanely immediate, in the loop it kills the noise for a beautiful dead silence (provided you don't have any hum in your power section). My Engl has a noise gate after the pre so all I needed was the regular pedal- you may or may not need both.
I can't try that now, my amp is not with me, but I'm running an ENGL Rackhead 860, it doesn't have a noise gate and, as most ENGLs, is really noisy. What do you think?
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

christheasian is just really nicechristheasian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've owned the rack, normal, and g-string versions and I can honestly say if I had to go back to one, it would just be the normal version. the g-string is more money and just extra baggage. the rack would be nice if you're doing high gain only.
christheasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheasian View Post
I've owned the rack, normal, and g-string versions and I can honestly say if I had to go back to one, it would just be the normal version. the g-string is more money and just extra baggage. the rack would be nice if you're doing high gain only.
Thanks for the input, man. I'm not a gear whore, or a tone whore, so I think it might work fine for me.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Coffin View Post
So basically, for 250€, I'd rather get a G-string pedal than the regular Pro Rack?
Sorry for the late reply, but yea pretty much. The G does a lot more, and it doesnt cost much more either.
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but yea pretty much. The G does a lot more, and it doesnt cost much more either.
Damn, I wished the normal one was at least equivalent well, I guess I'll be passing this "deal"
Unread 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

drenz is just really nicedrenz is just really nice
The g-string decimator is just 2 decimators in one that can gate the front of the amp and the effects loop simultaneously.
In the past i used to use an ordinary decimator in the front of the amp, and another decimator in the effects loop, and both setups yielded the same result.
drenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenz View Post
The g-string decimator is just 2 decimators in one that can gate the front of the amp and the effects loop simultaneously.
In the past i used to use an ordinary decimator in the front of the amp, and another decimator in the effects loop, and both setups yielded the same result.
The G is cheaper though, cuz you only have to buy one pedal
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

raximkoron is a jewel in the rough
I've owned the G-string pedal, a ProRackG and the ProRack Stereo Mod (still have the latter two, currently using the Stereo Mod).

The G-String pedal works great. It's not two Decimators in one package as a lot of people think. It's one decimator that you hook up in the classic "X pattern" like the Boss NS-2. The guitar in/out of the pedal only applies filter tracking and doesn't gate anything, it only guides the gate thats located in the loop in/out. It makes the gate more accurate as it views the incoming signal and uses that info to open and close the gate with much more accuracy. The downside to this is the giant pain in the ass it is to hook anything up via the X-pattern when playing out at a venue. You can bypass the "G-String" portion of the pedal by bridging the guitar in/out with a standard cable for ease of setup, but then you're just pissing away the extra benefit of the G-string over the standard Decimator.

The ProRackG is essentially the same thing as the G-string pedal in rack form. It adds a couple things like the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the filter tracking and the ability to compensate the inputs from -10dB to +4dB depending on the rack equipment you're using.. also ground lift, but I've never had to use that feature. It seemed for me to be a little more accurate and faster than the G-String pedal, and it's in a more convienent package if you have a rack setup, but it essentially gets the same job done.

The ProRack Stereo Mod is essentially two Decimators in one rack unit. It's set up exactly like the ProRackG except it has a separate input jack and dual jacks for the ins/outs (split for right/left for stereo obviously) and two threshold knobs, one for each channel. I use this now as my rig is run in stereo (a different preamp for the right and left channels that go into a stereo effects processor and out to a stereo power amp).

The gigantic problem with both of the rack versions is that they don't have the AC->DC power section in the unit like most rack equipment does, so you have this gigantic wall wart to deal with. Causes a problem when you try to plug it in to most power conditioners as there's rarely enough room. I essentially have to use a short extention cord to plug the damned thing into my power conditioner... it's certainly something they should address in future revisions.

Overall, the pedal is the best bet and most affordable for most users. If you're going to go the rack direction, I'd highly suggest getting the Stereo Mod version over the ProRackG as they're not much more expensive and you won't have to buy another piece of gear if you want to run a stereo rig later on down the line (like I did).
raximkoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up, dude! It has become a little clearer now

But when you're talking about the "stereo mod", which one of these are you talking about? :

Because the 2nd one (not G) is the one I can get cheap (200€) and I need to know if it's worth it.