homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Tube overdrive recommendation

I'm pretty pleased with the clean tone I'm getting from my rig these days (Tech 21 Blonde into a Peavey KB100 - it's unorthodox, but it works), but I'd like to upgrade my dirty sounds. Ideally, I'd like to have a Mesa V-Twin, but they're out of production and hard to get without mortgaging your firstborn child. Can anyone recommend an equivalent tube-bearing pedal for that singing, saturated-Marshall sound?

There's a catch: it has to be made in the USA. Not made overseas by a US-owned company, not engineered here and made in China - made in the USA. Let me forestall any tangential comments by saying that this is *not* a comment on the Chinese political system, or on the merits of Chinese manufacturing. In the current economic climate, I figure my neighbors need whatever help I can provide, and I can afford to pay a premium for American-made. That limitation automatically rules out the Seymour Duncan and Blackstar pedals. What else have you got?

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That unfortunately also rules out Hughes & Kettner, because the Tubefactor and Tubeman are awesome.

You could find out where AMT builds their pedals, and then check out this thing here. (or one of the others)
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
That unfortunately also rules out Hughes & Kettner, because the Tubefactor and Tubeman are awesome.

You could find out where AMT builds their pedals, and then check out this thing here. (or one of the others)
They're made in Russia. Nice try, though - I've heard good things about their stuff.

If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Does it have to have tubes, or can it sound like it has tubes?

I'd take a look at a lot of the Z.Vex stuff, depending on just what kind of tone you're looking for.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Rogue intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Does it have to have tubes, or can it sound like it has tubes?

I'd take a look at a lot of the Z.Vex stuff, depending on just what kind of tone you're looking for.
I would prefer actual tubes, because I like the feel (despite the tubelessness of my Tech 21); I'll take a look at the Z. Vex stuff, though. Thanks!

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
They're made in Russia.
Makes sense, good to know (couldnt find info on it so fast).

The USA should invade and overtake Canada..you could then buy and play proudly the Radial Tonebone.

EDIT: got one! Fuchs makes a tube-overdrive, and its made in USA.

Fuchs Audio Technology | Handcrafted Tube Boutique Guitar Amplification | Products | Plush Pedals | The Valve Job
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Rogue intellectual

^^^^ Not yet willing to dictate US foreign policy based on my desire for better pedals. Give it a few months. =)

Nice catch on the Fuchs! I'll check that out.

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
I would prefer actual tubes, because I like the feel (despite the tubelessness of my Tech 21); I'll take a look at the Z. Vex stuff, though. Thanks!
Be careful, a lot of pedals with a single 12AX7 built in use it as more of a gimmick, having it perform extremely limited functionally, and relying on the analog solid state circuits for most of the tone shaping. Not surprising, the most "tube sounding" pedals I've ever used have had no tubes, and some of the most boring sounding have had them.

You might also want to consider tube preamps like the ENGL e530 and Peavey Rockmaster.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Rogue intellectual

Quote:
Be careful, a lot of pedals with a single 12AX7 built in use it as more of a gimmick, having it perform extremely limited functionally, and relying on the analog solid state circuits for most of the tone shaping. Not surprising, the most "tube sounding" pedals I've ever used have had no tubes, and some of the most boring sounding have had them.

You might also want to consider tube preamps like the ENGL e530 and Peavey Rockmaster.
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out for underpowered tube pedals. Fortunately there's quite a bit of chatter about that on the Web, so it's fairly easy to get a good read on individual pedals. (But strangely, not enough to easily find a good list of made-in-USA pedals. Guess tone freaks aren't too concerned with country-of-origin.)

Given my current setup, I would vastly prefer pedals; adding rack gear makes everything much more complicated at this point.

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:

The only one that springs to mind for me is the Chandler Tube Driver, which is best used in David Gilmour fashion...not to mention its just as expensive as a Mesa V-Twin.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Warrior of tru metal

Albionic is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How about an Ibanez tube king the new ones are High voltage apparently. not 100% sure they made in USA but I think they might be.
Albionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Rogue intellectual

^^^^^ I highly doubt it: the manual says "printed in China," and I can't imagine a situation where it makes economic sense to manufacture your pedal in the US but outsource your printing to China.

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Warrior of tru metal

Ok then the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is the ehx English muffin. Supposedly made in the us not huge gain but maybe with a tube screamer in front?
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Warrior of tru metal

Damage control pedals just came to mind but all their valve pedals are discontinued.might find a used one

Edit: seen a few left in shops quite expensive though demonizer is $299 solid metal $199 both high voltage and USA made
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Rogue intellectual

In the absence of tubes (/clever_album_reference), the ZVex Box of Rock is looking pretty interesting, as are the Amptweaker pedals. Of course, if I'm accepting !tubes, then the higher-gain Tech 21 Character pedals are in play as well. Need to keep thinking about this. Darn. Applications are still being accepted....

(And I'd jump *all over* the AMT SS-11, if it weren't made in Russia and almost as expensive as a used V-Twin. But damn, that sounds good!)

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Mesa Boogie V Twin Pedal
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Rogue intellectual

Emailed! Is that your pedal?

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 09-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nope I'm in Farmington, just happened to notice your location and remember I saw one on CL earlier today.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
Rogue intellectual

^^^^^^ +1 rep to you for your community spirit!

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
Rogue intellectual

Missed the boat on that V-Twin, but I tried out a Fryette SAS while at Guitar Center, and that's jumping to the head of the list - very musical, and can be dialed in for a sweet, fat-tube tone or something with more teeth in it. Bonus: discovered after the fact that David Torn was involved in its development and now has one on his board. Winner!

Thanks for the input, everyone!

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman