homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By NickCormier
  • 4 Post By Robotechnology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
New Line 6 DT25 - Small tube amp with some HD modelling..

This is something that caught my eye instantly.. sounds like L6 is really listening to their customers for once!

Its similar to their DT50 series; Bogner designed Power Tube section, but this time, they included 4 models from the HD series into the preamp section too! That means, even if you don't use an external pedal (like the HD500 is supposed to be used on the DT50) you can still get 4 tones - American clean, British crunch, Class A and Modern Gain.. Its two channels.

Also a really neat feature, it has the standard 25W/10W but it also has a "solidstate practice" mode, which doesnt use the poweramp tubes and runs it REALLY quiet (bedroom levels) yet still provides the meat of the preamp. Solid.

Also rumored to have standard MIDI, so you can actually use your own controller instead of L6 ones.. If that turns out to be true, I may get one.

Priced around 670 Euros.. so probably in the $650-800 range on our side of the pond.

Pretty nice 50 minute video on this site, with all the details.

Line 6 DT25 1x12 Tube Combo | Andertons
BigPhi84 and AcousticMinja like this.
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Ah, that's looks fantastic. It looks like its the same as the DT50, just with a smaller power section. I'd imagine it would have to be the same amp topology as the DT50 to integrate with the POD HD500 in the same way.

The DT50 also had those 4 modes corresponding to the various Amp modes: I, II, III, IV and had DSP to take over for power tube saturation (engaged by pulling the master volume out).

The form factor and price is what would sell me on this though. The fact it still uses the L6 Link is just icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing the vid!

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
ah yea.. didnt realize the DT50 had those things too, thought it was just like a poweramp with multiple switching for class a/b and pent/tri/etc..
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
I'm pretty majorly psyched for this now (still not quite finished with the vid review yet) but having just obtained an HD500, I'm finding I'll be looking at this instead of a power amp now.

This just killed the GAS I had for the Mini-Recto head

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

SammerX is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They got some extremely nice tones out of that amp just straight out, no POD attached to it. Sounded great with the POD as well. I didn't particularly care for the variax stuff but everything else sounded amazing. For some reason when they do things like 12 string simulation, downtuning simulation, etc. it just doesn't sound "right"

I would love to see the HD500xDT25 combo matched up against the 4 cable method with some other similarly priced amps. I've got a HT20 now that I use with my HD500 and I'd really like to see if it would be worth it to sell that and replace it with the DT25.
SammerX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammerX View Post
They got some extremely nice tones out of that amp just straight out, no POD attached to it. Sounded great with the POD as well. I didn't particularly care for the variax stuff but everything else sounded amazing. For some reason when they do things like 12 string simulation, downtuning simulation, etc. it just doesn't sound "right"

I would love to see the HD500xDT25 combo matched up against the 4 cable method with some other similarly priced amps. I've got a HT20 now that I use with my HD500 and I'd really like to see if it would be worth it to sell that and replace it with the DT25.
The power section of the HT-20 doesn't push very well in my experience. The EL-34's they use are rated for a much higher output tranny but they kind of cripple it to 20W. Basically the output tubes never really begin to saturate with the configuration they use. That was actually one of the reasons I sold mine.

Unread 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Robotechnology is a jewel in the rough
That Paul guy is a STELLAR guitarist!
Robotechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

SammerX is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
The power section of the HT-20 doesn't push very well in my experience. The EL-34's they use are rated for a much higher output tranny but they kind of cripple it to 20W. Basically the output tubes never really begin to saturate with the configuration they use. That was actually one of the reasons I sold mine.
I know it is off topic but would you say it is just those particular tubes, meaning I could swap them for a different set and improve it.

Regardless, I think line 6 is really making a big statement with these amps.

What I would reaaaaally like to see is a mix of the DT series with the HD Pro. Think the HD Pro sandwiched in the head amp internally wired with the tube section. Talk about a simple system to take around.

Aside from the sound I also think the amp looks pretty fantastic. Very similar to the Blackstar amps, I think. Not gaudy at all like the spiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
That Paul guy is a STELLAR guitarist!
You are so right, it is really hard to evaluate the amp when you have such a fantastic player using it. The looks on Rob/Lee's faces when he played were priceless.
SammerX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks cool Although 25 watts probably isn't for me though.

BUT, DT100, huh? I'm certain nothing of the sort even exists, as I remember checking the Line 6 site a few days ago, and then checked again just now, as well as a google search, and absolutely nothing on a 100 watt version of the DT series.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thanks for sharing, Nick!

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Carvin Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Looks cool Although 25 watts probably isn't for me though.

BUT, DT100, huh? I'm certain nothing of the sort even exists, as I remember checking the Line 6 site a few days ago, and then checked again just now, as well as a google search, and absolutely nothing on a 100 watt version of the DT series.
ok my mistake, I havent looked at these DT amps at all since last october or so when they were first announced.. I forgot the head version was DT50 also; I was recalling the DT50 being the combo and DT100 the head.

--

as far as this goes though.. its a hard choice for me between this and the Carvin V3MC.. which has more wattage (25 may be a tiny bit too less) and smaller footprint along with being a Carvin, yet the DT25 probably has better tones and better powertube section for the FX loop'd Axe-FX once I pick one up. Hmmm.
Unread 09-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #12
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice. I can't see anything I'd change in that o.0

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Carvin Fanboy

would like to see a US price on this.. hard choice between this and the Carvin V3MC =[
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
would like to see a US price on this.. hard choice between this and the Carvin V3MC =[
The conversion when removing the VAT tax from the UK price was $750 for the head, which hits a pretty sweet spot I think.

And there really is no replacing having a power section react to the preamp in the same fashion the modelled amp would in physical form.

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Carvin Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
The conversion when removing the VAT tax from the UK price was $750 for the head, which hits a pretty sweet spot I think.

And there really is no replacing having a power section react to the preamp in the same fashion the modelled amp would in physical form.
Some website leaked its US price.. looks like $899 for the head, $999 for the combo.. Looks like I wont be buying one until they start coming around used =[ Carvin V3MC is just a much better value for my needs at acouple hundred less, plus being a Carvin.
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
Some website leaked its US price.. looks like $899 for the head, $999 for the combo.. Looks like I wont be buying one until they start coming around used =[ Carvin V3MC is just a much better value for my needs at acouple hundred less, plus being a Carvin.
That's weak. I might still get it if that is the actual price but that's definitely not the price point they should be trying to reach with that product. That puts it on-level with the Mesa lunchbox heads, which is not somewhere Line 6 should be trying to compete IMO.