homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 1 Post By Ckackley
  • 1 Post By SirMyghin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

cronux is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Iso cab

i've been sitting on this thought for some time...

during the recording process with my band, i've recorded the guitar parts through an iso cab with 1xCelestion G12T-100 speaker and was blown away with the quality of the recording... and the simplicity

soooo... i hit google up with my "iso box questions"... turns up that Kiss and Metallica use iso cabs for gigs...

some money will soon come my way and I want do do an iso box, with the same Celestion speaker, a Sure SM57 in it and 2 cables coming out of it -> head cable, and mic/mixer cable for the mixing board... the idea is to have a cab that's simple, effective, "small" in lbs. and packs a punch (not to mention to have MY SOUND wherever I go)...

what do you guys say about that and anyone had experience with something simmeler?

Here's my band check it out: http://www.facebook.com/badbloodcro
cronux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
ISO cabs are one of those things that are a fantastic concept, unfortunately, from my experience at least, they don't always preform as intended. They just don't seem to sound like the 2x12 and 4x12 boxes that I'm just so used to. I think they tend to sound like an oversized 1x12, which is technically what they are usually spec'd to.

Honestly, with the advancements in speaker/cab emulation, via devices such as the Palmer speaker sims, or Impulses I find ISO cabs to be be overly complicated and cumbersome with little benefit.

Those are just my thoughts on them. Everyone's needs are different.
cronux likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

tnx for the reply... but the less equipment i carry, the better... i would like a full stack in the future, but carrying it from one place to the other can be a bother. since my band relies on cars, rather than vans...

but will see, tnx once again

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Ckackley is just really niceCkackley is just really nice
I agree with Max. If I was in a national touring band with roadies and tractor trailers I might shoot for an Iso-cab. To keep my sound consistent and portable I go the emulation route. A processor/pedalboard the size of a suitcase. Crowds can't tell the difference between a stack and a processor anyways. They just want to see a good show and bang their head a bit.
Albionic likes this.
Ckackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

@MaxOfMetal - just googled Palmer speaker sims...

you sir have made me rethink my concept

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronux View Post
@MaxOfMetal - just googled Palmer speaker sims...

you sir have made me rethink my concept
They really are great, the Palmers. It's crazy to think how awesome they sound compared to how old the units themselves are.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

4Eyes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wait for a dar fbm-x, it's speaker simulator box based on IR, imho better option than speaker simulator based on RC filters.

DAR Amplifaction Future Breed Machines linup (Fredrik Thordendal content).
4Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^

So you recommend something new, and not on the market, as you feel, intrinsically, that it will be better than a proven product, as you prefer the idea being applied?
Sephael likes this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote