homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
My boo

brootalboo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long does one have to wait on craigslist for offers?Thinking of trading into GC..

I'm basically selling my whole setup to try and get a new one, ALA

My 7 string Shecter Hell raiser- $450

White Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85- $400

Peavey 1x12 combo- $400

and a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass- $300

In hopes of getting a legit guitar, and a legit half stack. My main problem is, i have all these items on sale on craigslist, but NOBODY is biting on any of it (it's been about a month)! I don't think the gear is priced high!? And it's not like I'm in some cow town, I'm in the middle freaking LA! I've been thinking about trading my stuff into guitar center and just using the credit towards purchasing as much towards a full stack and a legit guitar as possible...
brootalboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
If you do, just don't let yourself get ....ed too much on everything.

If they offer WAY too low, then just walk away.
ShadowFactoryX and cwhitey2 like this.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

fallvictim21 is on a distinguished road
I have had the same issue with my listing, about a month going. I have received plenty of spam and fraud scams. And people who never reply back.
fallvictim21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

DWJK is a jewel in the rough
Never sell anything to guitar center. Ever.
DWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

AzzMan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How often do you repost the ads? How well are they written? Are there pictures? That's all very important. I wouldn't sell to GC just because they won't give me what my gear is worth. I'd rather hold on to it than sell it for a pittance.
AzzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Parker über alles

yingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by brootalboo View Post
I'm basically selling my whole setup to try and get a new one, ALA

My 7 string Shecter Hell raiser- $450
Schecter Hellraiser 7 string guitar

White Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85- $400
White Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85

Peavey 1x12 combo- $400
Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo Amp

and a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass- $300
Schecter Diamond Stiletto Elite-4 Bass See-Thru Black

In hopes of getting a legit guitar, and a legit half stack. My main problem is, i have all these items on sale on craigslist, but NOBODY is biting on any of it (it's been about a month)! I don't think the gear is priced high!? And it's not like I'm in some cow town, I'm in the middle freaking LA! I've been thinking about trading my stuff into guitar center and just using the credit towards purchasing as much towards a full stack and a legit guitar as possible...
Here's the thing: Guitar Center is a business. They're buying your gear because they want to sell it and make a profit off of it. So if you're having trouble selling your gear for the price you're asking, they'd probably sell it for less than you're currently asking, and give you a percentage of that. So if you're having trouble selling your Hellraiser for $450, they might think that $400 is the right price for it, and offer you, say, $250. Even if they thought they could sell it for $500, you're probably not going to get more than $300 out of it. So go in there with that mindset, and you should be fine. Obviously you can get more selling your stuff on your own, but since that hasn't worked out for you this far, maybe it's time to consider the convenience of selling to GC vs. continuing to post on CL and getting no response.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
My boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post
Here's the thing: Guitar Center is a business. They're buying your gear because they want to sell it and make a profit off of it. So if you're having trouble selling your gear for the price you're asking, they'd probably sell it for less than you're currently asking, and give you a percentage of that. So if you're having trouble selling your Hellraiser for $450, they might think that $400 is the right price for it, and offer you, say, $250. Even if they thought they could sell it for $500, you're probably not going to get more than $300 out of it. So go in there with that mindset, and you should be fine. Obviously you can get more selling your stuff on your own, but since that hasn't worked out for you this far, maybe it's time to consider the convenience of selling to GC vs. continuing to post on CL and getting no response.
Ya I think it might be high time. I'm going in today and will report back with results. Thanks everybody!
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
My boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzMan View Post
How often do you repost the ads? How well are they written? Are there pictures? That's all very important. I wouldn't sell to GC just because they won't give me what my gear is worth. I'd rather hold on to it than sell it for a pittance.
You know, craigslist just added this "renew posting" button that I've been hitting every three days that is pretty useful. I keep all four listings in a folder and renew them all at the same time.

As far as the writing, I had a link to the ads but I think a mod took it down. I'm still learning the ropes here
ShadowFactoryX likes this.
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Deathbringer769 will become famous soon enough
7 string Schecter Hellraiser isn't a legit guitar?

USA RC7G
Engl Invader 150
Sell me your Vader 4x12!
Deathbringer769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

MatthewK is just really niceMatthewK is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
There's no way in hell guitar center will give you what you want. You're much better off selling it yourself.
MatthewK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You might look at completed listings on eBay to see how much your gear is selling for used. (No matter how great a shape your gear is in, it *is* used, and so you shouldn't base your pricing on any new pricing.)

If you want to move stuff quickly, you'll need to go lower than those prices.

Although you've only just started your membership at SS.org, and therefore can't post your items here, there are other forums which allow you to buy a sponsoring membership and sell. If you're looking to avoid eBay and Craigslist, that could be one avenue.

Too bad you only recently found SS.org. Become a member who contributes to the conversation, and you'll be in a better position the next time you want to sell gear.

Cheers!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
My boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
You might look at completed listings on eBay to see how much your gear is selling for used. (No matter how great a shape your gear is in, it *is* used, and so you shouldn't base your pricing on any new pricing.)

If you want to move stuff quickly, you'll need to go lower than those prices.

Although you've only just started your membership at SS.org, and therefore can't post your items here, there are other forums which allow you to buy a sponsoring membership and sell. If you're looking to avoid eBay and Craigslist, that could be one avenue.

Too bad you only recently found SS.org. Become a member who contributes to the conversation, and you'll be in a better position the next time you want to sell gear.

Cheers!
Thanks for the advice. Cheers!
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

kevinarich will become famous soon enough
Isn't the going rate for a hellraiser like 350? When I'm on craigslist I'm looking for deals. I also won't bother if someone didn't leave a phone number. Also use photobucket to post pics not the little 4x4 squares they give you.

What peavey combo is it?
kevinarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 $250
Epiphone LP Custom $275
Hellraiser C7 $300

These are the "deal" prices for these items, Guitar center will give you HALF of this. Don't go.
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Dvaienat is a jewel in the rough
I have currently got my 2 guitars advertised on the UK equivalent of Craigslist, Gumtree. I've had them up for 4 weeks, and have them up for bargain prices. I've one reply for my Dean, which came on saturday, and none on my Ibanez.
Dvaienat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

thrashcomics is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post

i wish more people came in with this attitude. we cant pay you what its worth because we have to resell it. we sell it for less than market value and still have to make a profit. i often tell people to try cl first and if they dont sell in a week or two to come back and see me.

"the correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n is the number of guitars you already have - BucketheadRules"

Ibanez RG550 (89 Desert Sun Yellow)(Gravity Storm set)(SS frets)
Peavey 5150
BBE Green Screamer(modded)
Boss HM2 Heavy Metal
thrashcomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Gryphon is a jewel in the rough
Just sold a guitar to Guitar Center, in the email exchange they told me they offer about 60-65% of market value for the instrument
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
bullshit, I went in with a 200$(technically 300$ guitar to them but, used they go for 150-200$) guitar and they offered me 60$ being generous they said.

Granted its a cheap guitar but pfft 60% my ass I would have taken 100$ and ran like a bandit.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
GC won't give you what you are asking. No where near it. As others have stated they want to turn a profit. Generally GC sales person will look it up on eBay and offer 60% of that. They will also check to see if any stores in ther area have sold the item used and at what price. If they have, they will offer 60% on the lowest selling price. The only good thing about trading to them is that they more than likely will give you 20% off of what ever NEW item you are going to buy when you trade in. Every one thinks they are getting screwed by them with trades. But the fact is, is you don't want to get pawnshop trade prices, don't sell there. Stick with craigslist or eBay etc. eBay can be a hassle with shipping, sales fees, paypal fees. Craigslist may not always be safe.
I have used all 3 methods and eBay seems to be the fairest of them IMO.
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #20
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I gave up with those kind of sites and ebay everything now.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
If you do, just don't let yourself get ....ed too much on everything.

If they offer WAY too low, then just walk away.

The other guitarist in my band took an acoustic guitar he bought for 400 there sell they offered him $70 we both laughed at them....took it back a week later they gave him $140 which is still low, but they doubled the price so

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

tuneinrecords will become famous soon enough
You could always ask around in your neighborhood or facebook.

My latest thoughts on ebay...

I've been on ebay for a long time and it's changed in the fact that paypal is now a part of the same company. They have a monopoly on how you pay for stuff on that site. I remember when there were more options for payment and less fees to deal with.

I don't know if anyone else is dealing with the same bullshit I've now had to deal with paypal, but I know it's not just me that's been having trouble. I've talked to them on the phone where they tell me one thing and then online it's a whole other story. They've begun putting holds on payment for up to 21 days or until people leave positive feedback. I sold 2 guitars on ebay 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the people to leave feedback so I still can't touch the money in my paypal account. I called up to complain and they told me both times that my account shouldn't have a hold on it and that it was a mistake on their part. They said it would take 24-48 hours to remedy and it's been a week and half and my money is still stuck in paypal limbo. I don't have an hour each evening to call and complain to these idiots. It was amazing how many times it took the guy on the line to correctly enter my fedex shipping number details. He asked for the next shipping number once he finally got it after 4 tries and I started to laugh and said not to worry about it. Plus they take their fees and ebay takes more fees and shipping and yadayayayaya faaaa! I know it's to help ensure safe buying and all, but I've been on ebay since 2003, have a perfect rating and now I have to deal with this hold my money mickey mouse bullshit.

So in summation I think Ebay sucks and they sure lost a lot of my business as I've already sold some things here on ss.org and craigslist. There's also a local flea market I plan on bringing more items of mine to, rather than dealing with ebaypal nonsense.

Bow down to your new overlords
EBAYPAL . Please .. I's gots these cheeseburgers maaan!
ooow oowww!! (sam kinison voice)
Sonofthe7thSign likes this.
tuneinrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
My boo

Thanks for the help everybody! So this is what they offered me:

Peavey 6505- $240
Les Paul Custom w/ EMG'S- $200

And I didn't even bring in the rest of my stuff. I'm going to take my chances on craigslist for another month or two >_<
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Guitar Center offered me $180 for my Washburn EC-29, which they would have sold for $500 or more. I sold it myself on Ebay for $650.
johnythehero likes this.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #25
Thall, that is all

MobiusR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Guitar Center offered me $180 for my Washburn EC-29, which they would have sold for $500 or more. I sold it myself on Ebay for $650.
yep i got the same shit when i offered my KE3.

They wanted $250 and my dad walked away laughing XD

But i was pissed for what they offered...I bought it around 700 and was looking for at least 400 or so.

But i sold it 4 weeks later to my friend for $550 and bought me a HD500 <3

Guitar Center is only good for strings and accessories....
Nile likes this.
MobiusR is offline   Reply With Quote