homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gunshow86de

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Paranormal Entity

WeBowInItsAura is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Keely Compressor should I get?

I found the 2 knob Keely Compressor for 100 bucks, and I'm wondering if it will achieve what I need it to do. Basically, I'm using a high gain amp with an ISP Decimator, but the Decimator cuts off a lot of my sustain in parts where I need it. Just like in the Periphery gear video, I want to use the compressor to counteract the gate so that I can get really tight chugs but have a lot of sustain when I need it. Will the 2 knob work fine? Or should I save up for the 4 knob?

By the way my only pedal is the ISP Decimator, and I may add my Boss PQ-4 but it is too noisy at the moment.

Thanks in Advance!
WeBowInItsAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Beardaholic.

Beardyman is a jewel in the rough
The 2 knob and 4 knob versions are the same, despite the obvious difference in knobs. The 2 knob has those extra two "knobs" inside, still in the circuit. They're also adjustable, I think via a screwdriver or something. Not a big deal, it depends how much being able to twist those knobs on the fly matters for you I guess. I opted for the 2 knob version and saved myself like $70, I haven't really had to mess with the pots inside either, as it works as I need it to with the stock settings. Fwiw, i'm running a decimator as well.

Good deals with: Enditol, itsallinmyh3ad, iliketoshred09, Hamatha, and many more on Rig-talk, HCAF, TGP and GC.
Beardyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Paranormal Entity

WeBowInItsAura is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
The 2 knob and 4 knob versions are the same, despite the obvious difference in knobs. The 2 knob has those extra two "knobs" inside, still in the circuit. They're also adjustable, I think via a screwdriver or something. Not a big deal, it depends how much being able to twist those knobs on the fly matters for you I guess. I opted for the 2 knob version and saved myself like $70, I haven't really had to mess with the pots inside either, as it works as I need it to with the stock settings. Fwiw, i'm running a decimator as well.
Did the compressor fight against your decimator and give you plenty of sustain without any extra noise/feedback?
WeBowInItsAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Any compressor will, that's the whole point. Compressors and gates essentially do the same thing but opposite.

Compressor - if something's too LOUD it makes it quieter.

Gate (Expander) - If something too QUIET it makes it quieter (i.e. silent).

The two knob will be fine, it does everything the 4 does essentially. Check out the Maxon CP101 too, it's cheaper and when I tried them both actually preferred the Maxon, it's optical like the Keeley which is the key thing.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I would recommend you check out the Strymon OB.1. It's also an optical compressor, and it has a built in clean boost. I love mine.

strymon OB.1 Optical Compressor & Clean Boost – Stompbox Pedal
SirMyghin likes this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

sicstringzen is on a distinguished road
I used that exact setup in my previous band so I can tell you first hand it will work: Keeley --> ISP --> Powerball

Keeley compressors are great. As for the difference between the 2 and 4 knob version; tone wise - none, attack and trim (clipping) controls are simply internal pots on the 2 knob version like someone else said, having them on the outside makes it easier to set the compressor up if you plan to use it for multiple instruments like in a studio setup. I have the 4 knob and another aspect I like about it over the 2 is it has lines painted around the knobs which makes it easier to remember specific settings.

I ran this compressor into an ISP G-string gate, I kept the decimator at about noon and the compressor I had the sustain almost off but not quite - it doesn't take much to get the desired effect and with distortion I wouldn't go any more than 9 o'clock, clean stuff you can push it up toward noon. The default settings for the attack is zero and the trim is max but I recommend backing off the trim control a tad for extra hot pickups.
sicstringzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
I would recommend you check out the Strymon OB.1. It's also an optical compressor, and it has a built in clean boost. I love mine.

strymon OB.1 Optical Compressor & Clean Boost Stompbox Pedal
A very nice and very subtle compressor (not much squash I find, I run it below 1/2 usually though, 1/4 or so), not to mention the boost in mid mode goes from crunch to sing really fast. Love how it interacts with my amp.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Beardaholic.

Beardyman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBowInItsAura View Post
Did the compressor fight against your decimator and give you plenty of sustain without any extra noise/feedback?
It does, yeah. Works great for that effect, but as others have pointed out, all compressors will do that job. My Keeley is however noisy, which I wasn't expecting. I think i'm going to throw a Decimator G-string in my loop along with the regular Decimator though, because the amp itself can be a little noisy (FJA 5150 II)
I agree with Fun111, you should definitely look into the Maxon CP101. I love Maxon products, I doubt that its any different. I almost picked one up when I was in the market for a compressor for a good price, and would love to pick one up sometime to a/b with the keeley.

Good deals with: Enditol, itsallinmyh3ad, iliketoshred09, Hamatha, and many more on Rig-talk, HCAF, TGP and GC.
Beardyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I think Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone gives more sustain and is more transparent. But I can appreciate the Keeley mojo.

As for noisy EQ, Empress ParaEQ is very quiet. Dr. Scientist Cleanness is THE quietest I've tried, though not as flexible. WMD just came out with a fully parametric EQ pedal. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's way quieter than the Boss.
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote