homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Mourningson is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me with some djent tones?

Ight guys, heres the "problem". I have this set up which (if you cant see) is a Randal V2 with the Randall XL cab, a dbx Compressor/gate and and Dbx 31 band eq, a 362 sonic maximizer, a harwire tl-2, mxr carbon copy, and ISP decimator. i play an Agile 828 with bare knuckles (cold sweat in bridge, Aftermath in Neck) and an Ibanez RGA8.

I'm looking for a tone that has clarity but can "shake the room", when I rasie the mids and trebs my bunch just disappears . Also, go back and forth between a clean channel and distorted if that makes much of a difference for you folks. How would you set this up?

P.S. The rack is going thru the effects loop.

Also if you need more pics I could always take more.

HELP!

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg
Mourningson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

So noones gunna help me out here?
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Don't you need a bass player too typically? I thought that's where a lot of the room shakeage comes from...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Strobe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Don't you need a bass player too typically? I thought that's where a lot of the room shakeage comes from...
No, that's the guy who helps carry the gear. Sort of like a roadie, but they get to be on stage
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Damn son.

Don't let Flea, Wooten or Stu Hamm hear you talking like that.

Unread 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I would start by bypassing the BBE (forever :P) and the DBX 31 band EQ (lol)

I've never used a TL-2 (just a TS-9), but try setting up your amp first and then add in the boost.

Adjust your pickups accordingly (if you haven't)

To change channels and still use a TL-2, you'll need to tap dance and switch off the TL-2 right as you switch to your clean.

Hope this helps with anything :P

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMB13 View Post
I would start by bypassing the BBE (forever :P) and the DBX 31 band EQ (lol)

I've never used a TL-2 (just a TS-9), but try setting up your amp first and then add in the boost.

Adjust your pickups accordingly (if you haven't)

To change channels and still use a TL-2, you'll need to tap dance and switch off the TL-2 right as you switch to your clean.

Hope this helps with anything :P
I tried that and it turned my rig into a screaming treble monster
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
cali-cornia bluffer

asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningson View Post
Turn down the treble? Careful with the presence too.
asmegin_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Hmm, have your tried backing off the gain and turning up the mids, then adding in the TL-2 for a boost?

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Yeah i did that too. It's a really weird situation. Like my cleans will sound awesome and then my distortion lacks punch. or ill get the punch from the distortion and get no warmth in the clean....
Unread 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Lefty supremacist

Nautilus is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Although I can't say I've used much of the equipment you've got (although kudos, it's a sweet rig!) I would certainly suggest going through things one-by-one.

E.g. Just taking your V2 and the guitar to begin with, working out the best tone you can feel out using only your pups, pots and head dials.

Then simply taking each bit one at a time, adding it in to the loop and reworking things. I know that Periphery have (on occasion) described how they get out their 'djent' tones...although they're using a very different preamp and cab.

It's usually a case of fairly low bass, very high mids and medium-high trebles. I think the concept is to focus on bringing out the mids and providing clarity to the trebles using your eq/after effects. Having a decent set of pups and keeping things detuned will invariably "take care" of the bass itself, without overpowering your entire mix.

Again, I can't say I've used your gear....it's just the approach I'd take to shaping a desired tone with any rig.

As a sneaky aside, if you're getting great upper range and feel as though you're just missing out on the low 'oomph'....adding a sine chorus to your loop and mixing it in at a very low, fixed frequency can do some amazing things for the bass. I know that emmure actually swear by this approach to give their signature lows an amazing kick. I'm doing the same thing and it's working a dream for my tone.
Mourningson likes this.
Nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Awe man does that mean I have to throw down for a line 6 effect processor?
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Notes from a Ghost

adadglgmut is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Awe man does that mean I have to throw down for a line 6 effect processor?
Mmmm.. their effects can be handy, but I don't think they'll be a magic bullet for 'djent t0anz'...
adadglgmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

pantera95 will become famous soon enough
I'd just do what everyone else is suggesting.
Bypass everything, just run straight into the head. Once you are happy with your 'canvas' tone, you can add your colours, being your effects, boost, eq, whatever.

If i become unhappy with my tone, i simply start from scratch. I eq the amp as if i've never played it before, and work from there.

I'll run the bass at 9 oclock, mids at 3 oclock, treble at 12 and prescene at 12. Then i work at it until i love it. Try that. Maybe set your knobs at 12 oclock and just work at it. Get a nice tone, then expand on it with your effects.

Sorry if that didn't make sence. (it made sence in my head haha)

Axe fx -> Matrix -> Orange 2x12
good!
pantera95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera95 View Post
I'd just do what everyone else is suggesting.
Bypass everything, just run straight into the head. Once you are happy with your 'canvas' tone, you can add your colours, being your effects, boost, eq, whatever.
It's a wonder anyone needs to be told this...

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Maybe I wasn't as clear about the problem as I should have been. Right now (like this very moment haha) my bass is turned to 9 o clock, mids at 4 o clock and treble at about 2 o clock. I then have a graphic eq (on the amp) further emphisazing that. This is what I started with (effect loops off). I then added the compressor to tighten up the low ends, and a 31 one band eq to "fill out" my tone. the distortions settings are about the same as the eq with minor adjustments. I stopped using the suppressor because it shot thru my tone like a mother****** (probably because I already hate a gate and compressor runnning). NOW after this was set up like this I have a tone I like with one problem, there is no beaf to the tone. I understand how to create a tone. If i didn't I wouldnt be rocking a 31 band eq thru a guitar amp. The randall v2 is a natrually very bassy amp. however something im doing is taking that away from it. Tho im yet to try it I like the sine chorus idea. I'd be a fan of a little elaboration on that tho if anyones up for it. I was going to tru and effects processor on there but for I while i thot there was no need. Now im wondering if I should. I have a spot of it on my rack but I'm not trying to drop 3000 dollars on a rack, I'm piss broke . So with that said any ideas?
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Oh yeah, by the way, my band practices at a studio some what near where I live. I might throw down some sound checks and post them so you guys hear what i mean (if your up for it of coarse).
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Dread-I Master

Nothing adds bass but bass... But maybe you've just come to one of those points where you're just no longer happy w/ the gear you're using. Maybe you need to swap your pups or something?

Unread 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe fiddle with the resonance a bit?

I would probably say that it not being beefy is ok... If you listen to Periphery, like on Icarus Lives, the tone of the guitar is pretty thin. However, add in the bass guitar and the kick drum, and you have all the meat, and an awesome tone. Same with "Dark Eternal Night" by Dream Theater - the guitar on it's own doesn't sound that amazing, but when the band kicks in, it is a really thick tone.

I think adding thickness will take away from the djenty sound... I have found that it is hard to get a tight, agressive tone that is very percussive without taking away from some of the meat of the tone.
Mourningson and Dead Undead like this.
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

Ok I like alot that was said. thanks allot everyone. I'm going to throw together a tomorrow at some point and well see how it sounds. ill post it here
Unread 06-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #21
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Djent is more technique than anything. If I can djent on my Washburn through my VT30, you can djent with your gear.
rectifryer and WarOfAttrition like this.
Dead Undead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
If you can't get a shit tone on purpose from that setup, you're a lost cause
rectifryer and Dead Undead like this.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
ss.org Regular

yeah btw this is a ....ing dirty tone thats something like what im looking for but the low F sounds a tad too muddy so well see what comes of it later today when I get to the studio
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
ss.org Regular

Damnit
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

HOKAYYY SOOOOOOOOO.... after some experimenting i found multiple problems:

a.) BBE's+djent=bad. I always thought of my sonic maximizer as a sort of "punch booster" if you will. Wrong. It was boosting my trebles and basses, opposite of what I was trying to do.

b.) It's far easier to add bass then it is to reduce it.

c.) compressor settings change everything! I loosened the response and it made a tone of difference.

d.) the Hardwire was giving me a REALLY processed sound.

after figuring this out I think i may need a new rig . If you have any suggestions on either saving me (<- preferred) or a new set up I could get my hands on after selling this lets hear it.