homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
POD...should I?

im thinking about selling my VOX VT30 and buy a POD, but im pretty
ignorant about them i've heard a few clips of the pod 2.0, pod XT and pod HD, from the clips i can tell that the HD and the XT has the best
sound quality, but i don't know many of their features (only the basic
specs, number of amps, effects, etc.)

how the .... they work? all the videos i've seen are from
Pods connected directly to a computer, so, can i use it with a cab?

are they reliable for live performances?

my budget is from 100, to 350 dollars, and i play mostly metal and clean
stuff, nothing in-between

thanks
kamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you used it with a cab you would need a power amp. You can run it directly into a sound system though.

I would not recommend a pod and would far rather use a DI box with amp sims and impulses.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I will say this: For practice nothing beats a trusty POD bean. I have the 2.0, and I pretty much just set it on 4D and play through headphones. For going live, I'd normally agree with Stealthtastic, but I just found out I've been taking his advice for over a year and he's only 18.
Seriously, though, follow what he said above for live stuff.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I was talking about more for recording, but if you can get it to work live then go for it! I'd really don't like my POD though, I'd rather buy a practice amp. However, the new HD series is pretty cool.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Zenerith will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy a blackstar HT-5 combo or head...they sound neat and it's a relatively cheap amp. I have owned a pod x3 live and it dusted over a year on my carpet because i just didn't like it (ofcorse that was just my opinion, other people absolutely love pods)...now i'm forced to use POD FARM 2 as i'm waiting the damn axe fx II (sold all my other amps because i was supposed to get the axe ultra months ago, then they switched it to axe II and now i need to wait an eternity longer -.-) and it's a pain in the arse, just sounds wrong to my ears This was only my opinion tho, ofcourse if you like the way pod sounds, then it's the thing for you =) I hope you find the right solution for you!
Zenerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:49 AM   #6
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A POD will take a long while to dial in something that sounds decent live and decent when recorded, but I've found that if you put in the work, most people can't tell the difference between a POD and a real amp. Keep in mind that I'm talking about doing a lot of tweaking, both to your POD and your recordings.

It's much easier to use a power amp, either a separate one or by bypassing your head's pre-amp to get a good tone out of a POD. Going straight to the computer requires a lot more effort. I think it's worth the $2-300 for an X3 or HD, if you can swing it. I think I recently saw an X3 in the Classifieds for about $170, and for that price, it definitely will at least give you the most bang for your buck.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

Spinedriver is just really niceSpinedriver is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
A POD will take a long while to dial in something that sounds decent live and decent when recorded, but I've found that if you put in the work, most people can't tell the difference between a POD and a real amp. Keep in mind that I'm talking about doing a lot of tweaking, both to your POD and your recordings.

It's much easier to use a power amp, either a separate one or by bypassing your head's pre-amp to get a good tone out of a POD. Going straight to the computer requires a lot more effort. I think it's worth the $2-300 for an X3 or HD, if you can swing it. I think I recently saw an X3 in the Classifieds for about $170, and for that price, it definitely will at least give you the most bang for your buck.
Absolutely...

With the X3, you get all the model packs that you would have to buy if you got a regular XT (if the packs are even available anymore).

Although I haven't tried the Pod HD yet (I have a GSP 1101 so there's no real need ); I find the lack of high gain amps a little off-putting. There's an Engl, Bogner, Mesa and (to a certain extent) a Marshall JCM 800. The rest are all 60's-70's era Fenders, Marshalls & a few 'boutique' amps. Granted, the quality may be better than what's on the X3 but it has a almost 2 dozen 'metal' amps to choose from. If you don't like the 3 or 4 available on the HD, you're kind of out of luck.
Spinedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
ok, thanks everyone, I think i will save more money for a better amp, or try to get a
POD for a few days to see if i like it, although, i don't have too much problem if
i have to spend a few hours tweeking the POD to get a good tone, im a bit obsesive when it comes to find a good tone
kamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

iddqd is a jewel in the rough
I spent dozens of hours tweaking my pod tone. Better don't expect to get a great tone within a few days.
The Blackstar HT5 seems to be a pretty nice home head. While i never tried one myself, the stuff you can find on youtube is absolutely stunning (check the fearedse review). Think this would be my choice if i would already own a good cab.
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Awesome-O

Guitarmiester is just really niceGuitarmiester is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can't go wrong with a Pod for practice and recording. I'm sure there are/were a lot of guys who used a Pod live. I gave that a shot a few years ago, but it didn't really cut it for me. More time tweaking through the PA would have helped, it just lacked the power and rawness of using an actual amp.
Guitarmiester is offline   Reply With Quote