homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #51
ss.org Regular

Flesh is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is great, so what in your opinions are the best types of tubes to put in place of the one in V6 that will still retain the gain?
Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #52
Gear Whore

Pedrojoca is a jewel in the rough
the best positions we found were

V5 (first preamp tube)- 12ax7 V6- 12at7 V7- 12ax7 V8- Balanced 12ax7

This one was discovered by vanhendrix, and I now use it, because it's really the best one. Keep in mind that the amp comes with 4 12ax7, which means that you can only change the V6 to do this. That's like 7$.... For optimal results, i'd reccomend you to change all 4 off them. (keep in mind that 12ax7 is the EXACT same thing as ECC83S).

V5- 12ax7 - This one works best with a Tung Sol 12ax7
V6- 12at7 - Fizz/Gain reduction, a TAD Premium 12ax7 works great here, but you can put a JJ 12at7 aswell.
V7- 12ax7 - Many people really like the Shuguang 9th Gen Chinese 12ax7 here, i'm using JJ but if you put those 9th gen in it, you'll really like it.
V8- BALANCED 12ax7 - This one works well with a 9th gen 12ax7 or a JJ, but remember, it must be balanced!

about the retain the gain part: Powerball gain stage 101

With the standard powerball gain, you would put the gain knob around 9 o' clock, 10 o' clock. The gain knob sets the input level of your guitar in the amp, kinda like a boost would do. After the gain knob, the signal goes to the distortion stages of the amp. The reason why you can't go any further that 12 o' clock with the gain knob and still get good clarity is because this sections adds a bit too much distortion to the signal. When you put this tube combo in the amp, this section adds a less distortion, which lets you push the gain knob further! In the end, you get the same amount of distortion, but it's much more organic, naturally tight and really dynamic. Oh, and say goodbye to the damn fizz...
Plus, remember the 4 channels your powerball has? You'll now be able to use them properly... the cleans are still good, the crunch improved by quite a bit, channel 3 is now a marshall type channel, which recieves a boost really well and channel 4 holds all your brootz and tightness... it's the damn BALLS channel!

Conclusion: people tell me all the time that my powerball sound amazing, when they check out my settings, they're like WTF?! because my gain knob is almost 3/4 of the way up. Plus, people buy them and then complain because their PB doesn't sound that good

aaaaand one more thing I forgot... SETTINGS! (for the lead channels, of course)

Gain- with the mod, I normally run it at about 7/10, play around with it... (keep in mind, I have active pickups...)

Bottom/Lo Punch buttons- a lot of people despise them as they say that the amp has enough low end... and I say F*** that, lower the bass knob and see if you like it On or Off.

Bass- 5/10 with the bottom button ON and around 7/10 with the bottom button OFF.

Middle- I'm a middle guy, plus I have V60 in the cab (mid scooped) so I basically crank it up... around 8/10 ...or 4/5 for scoopers...

Treble and Presence- Never say never, just say DAMN never! These aresome of the knobs that can make the difference between playing a toothbrush with red lights and a 1500$ amp... you have to find the perfect combination between the treble and the presence knob. I usually have Treble at 7,5/10 & Presence at 3,5/10 or Treble at 6,5 and Presence at 6/10.

Lead Volume- This can be really different from person to person. If you like a raw(ish) sound, go for 3/10, even though buying a powerball when you want a raw sound is stupid or you can go all the way to 6/10 if you like a saturated sound. play with it (that's what she said)

Middle Boost- I use it to stand out in leads and stuff, some people like it with rhythm parts...

Depth Punch- This is the power amp low end control. Discover the perfect spot, mine is around 4,5/10 when I use a lot of bass in the preamp section or 7/10 when I don't.

Ok, this was supposed to be a short post... yea turned out pretty short have fun

any questions? feel free to ask them
Pyo likes this.
Pedrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #53
ss.org Regular

Flesh is on a distinguished road
sweet, that helps alot man thanks again.

Time to source some tubes
Pedrojoca likes this.
Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #54
SS.org Regular

vanhendrix is a jewel in the rough
Ah the CTFD mod. My favorite!
vanhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #55
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhendrix View Post
Ah the CTFD mod. My favorite!
care to explain? i didn't get it

EDIT: oh wait, just got it, that must be the name of the mod
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #56
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrojoca View Post
care to explain? i didn't get it

EDIT: oh wait, just got it, that must be the name of the mod
Haha read one page back my friend
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #57
SS.org Regular

With your big post up there, do your settings mean "5 out of 10" when you say 5/10, or "between 5 and 10 oclock"? They seem strange to me...especially because it actually does go to 11 on every knob
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #58
Gear Whore

it's 5 out of 10... sorry, I always thought of it as if the first line on the knob was 0
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #59
jin
:D

jin is on a distinguished road
hello if i buy a fireball what are the best tubes to use? If there is any thread regarding fireball mod please give me the link i cant find it thanks. Anyways even if you dont replace the tubes engl amps still sound good for its price am i right??
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #60
Gear Whore

Dude, thanks for posting here

All the info here applies to the Fireball aswell. It will still sound good without the mod, but if you DO get the amp do the mod, it costs something like 10 bucks and it's really easy
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #61
Gear Whore

Real quick: adding some info to the topic.

If you feel the powerball lacks low mids, just enable the mid boost, as simple as that. People say it's only for solos, but if it helps you fix what you want, why not?
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #62
jin
:D

jin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude, thanks for posting here

All the info here applies to the Fireball aswell. It will still sound good without the mod, but if you DO get the amp do the mod, it costs something like 10 bucks and it's really easy
hah no problem someone led me here. You mean all the mod here costs around the same? or are you refering to a specific mod? ALso, how do you know which tubes give that certain characteristic? Do you guys test them out or you already know beforehand which tubes will sound better with the amp?
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #63
Gear Whore

me and vanhendrix were the main researchers for this, we came up with the combination in the big post above in this same page by testing them, trust me, it's worth it. if you just change the V6 (second preamp tube) the whole preamp tube mod will be around 10$, if you change the 4 of them around 40$, pretty cheap for the changes you get
Unread 11-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #64
Bird head

kylendm is a glorious beacon of lightkylendm is a glorious beacon of lightkylendm is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Just wanted to chime in here. I never owned a Powerball or anything but in all the amps I've played a JAN 5751 in the PI slot is going to be much better than a 12at7 or 12ax7. JAN 5751s are very quiet tubes and clean sounding. A 5751 is in the middle or a 12at7 and 12ax7 in gain.

Try a JAN 5751 in the PI. I know you'll love it.

And also note that Tung-sol 12ax7s have less gain than other 12ax7s.

Check out my band Aspects.

kylendm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #65
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylendm View Post
Just wanted to chime in here. I never owned a Powerball or anything but in all the amps I've played a JAN 5751 in the PI slot is going to be much better than a 12at7 or 12ax7. JAN 5751s are very quiet tubes and clean sounding. A 5751 is in the middle or a 12at7 and 12ax7 in gain.

Try a JAN 5751 in the PI. I know you'll love it.

And also note that Tung-sol 12ax7s have less gain than other 12ax7s.
I know! good to find someone else thinking that, i've heard a couple amps with one and they just shine! I was going to buy one with the mash of tubes i ordered but it was 25$ so i forgot it
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #66
ss.org Regular

aviel is on a distinguished road
Hey,
My name is Aviel and this is my first post in the forum
i joined because i saw this amazing powerball mod thread.

i quite like my powerball, i chosed it over the blackmore because of more channels, but i would be happy if i can reduce the fizz a bit and make it more raw, towards blackmore.

I never modded an amp, i've build a pedal once,, but i dont want to make any damage to the amp.

Can i do this moding with just changing the tubes, as simple as it is? without risking biasing issue and stuff? and if so, where do you recommend to start? i am basiclly a power metal guy, and thats the sound i am after.

i will be happy to hear your latest thoughts.
thanks!
aviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #67
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviel View Post
Hey,
My name is Aviel and this is my first post in the forum
i joined because i saw this amazing powerball mod thread.

i quite like my powerball, i chosed it over the blackmore because of more channels, but i would be happy if i can reduce the fizz a bit and make it more raw, towards blackmore.

I never modded an amp, i've build a pedal once,, but i dont want to make any damage to the amp.

Can i do this moding with just changing the tubes, as simple as it is? without risking biasing issue and stuff? and if so, where do you recommend to start? i am basiclly a power metal guy, and thats the sound i am after.

i will be happy to hear your latest thoughts.
thanks!
hey man! thanks for the thread appreciation.
Do the preamp tubes mod, it doesn't require any biasing and it won't harm your amp.
To preform it, you just have to change your V6 preamp tube (second from left to right) to a 12at7. ATTENTION: After this mod you'll have to run the gain knob higher, which results in sweet distortion, with reduced fizz and extra clarity. Here's the tube you need: 12AT7 / ECC81 TAD Premium Selected (symmetrisch/b - TAD Vorstufenröhren SELECTED
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #68
ss.org Regular

wow that was a quick reply! i read in the thread you also changed the v5, v7 and v8, do you recommend to start though only with the V5?

also, did it affected the nice cleans the amp has got?
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #69
Gear Whore

the cleans got warmer IMO.
I changed the other tubes because mine were screwed, but it also helps a bit as I'm not such a fan of the standard tubes. If you want to, you can pop some tung sols in there or JJ.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you change the others, V5 and V7 must be a 12ax7 and V8 must be a BALANCED 12ax7
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #70
Pyo
ss.org Regular

Pyo is on a distinguished road
Gonna try this aswell. Cheers for the good thread.

popular ≠ good
Modern Melodic Death Metal
Pyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #71
SS.org Regular

Haha soon everyone will be running CTFD-modded powerballs! Maybe they'll start releasing them like that?

To the new guy: before you start swapping out the tubes in the other positions, I would suggest that you read up on just what it is that each one controls. The one we say to switch controls the gain stage for channels 3 and 4, but does not act on the first two channels
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #72
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyo View Post
Gonna try this aswell. Cheers for the good thread.
Hey, really nice to see more portuguese around ss.org. Thanks for the appreciation

Quote:
Haha soon everyone will be running CTFD-modded powerballs! Maybe they'll start releasing them like that?

To the new guy: before you start swapping out the tubes in the other positions, I would suggest that you read up on just what it is that each one controls. The one we say to switch controls the gain stage for channels 3 and 4, but does not act on the first two channels
maybe they would man, wouldn't cost that much, it's just 1 different tube within a 4 tube set. I just gotta remember the mod's name, i keep forgetting it.
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #73
ss.org Regular

Quote:

yes i think i will go first with the V6 swap, then continue examing the results.i think that if the amp will get a little less compressed and will have less harsh highs it will rock.
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #74
ss.org Regular

Quote:
the cleans got warmer IMO.
I changed the other tubes because mine were screwed, but it also helps a bit as I'm not such a fan of the standard tubes. If you want to, you can pop some tung sols in there or JJ.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if you change the others, V5 and V7 must be a 12ax7 and V8 must be a BALANCED 12ax7

i guess i will wait till mine are screwed. step by step is always safer. also was suprised to read that you people leave your amp to warm up for at least 15 minuetes. i usually just warm it up 1 minute and start playing
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #75
ss.org Regular

sorry for flooding this thing up, but no local store here have got the tad 12at7, they have EH 12at7 though, preaty cheap, should it be fine? at least untill i order my tad from ebay or something?