homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

ESP_0bsessed has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power amp and cab for Line 6 Pod hd?

Hey guys,
ive had myself a line 6 hd500 since release back in september, and i gotta say, i love the thing, but headphones just arnt doing it for me anymore, plus id like to future proof myself ready for gigs.
my budget is around 500($800)
Fire away
ESP_0bsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
If I were you, I'd just get a couple of nice active monitors.

Peavey's good or Mackie would be awesome.

Mackie SRM 450 v2 Active Speaker (2 Available) on eBay (end time 29-Mar-11 16:56:16 BST)

Not my listing btw, just googled Mackie SR 450.

The nice thing about Active monitors like that is you can use Amp and cab modelling to the full, going into a tube poweramp and say a mesa 412 will colour your cab sims and make most of them sound like ass.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Bassist of Redivider

Despised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't know what VHT's go for over there (more expensive I'd think) but a 2/50/2 power amp is right in that price range. That's what I'd pair my HD500 with if I had the funds.

(UK guys, please step in?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
The nice thing about Active monitors like that is you can use Amp and cab modelling to the full, going into a tube poweramp and say a mesa 412 will colour your cab sims and make most of them sound like ass.
Thing is, you can bypass the cab sims by switching to "Stack Power Amp" mode. I've gotten pretty pleasing results (to my ears anyway) using that output mode into Recabinet.
Despised_0515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
It does work very well, I'll agree. An Active monitor would easily be the cheapest option.

VHT just doesn't exist in this country, so OP would have to get a USA one and pay shipping and tax and get a tranny etc etc.

If I were looking for a power amp:

On a budget, Peavey every time, dirt cheap and you can get huge amounts of power for lots of headroom. Processors like power.

With a bit more money I'd look at importing a VHT or ENGL

With any amount of money I'd go for a Mesa Strategy 400 (around 600 here in the UK) or more likely a 2:90 (more like a grand).

Problem is you then need a cab....

For something like that, a Marshall Mode Four cab with the GK-100's would be perfect. Easy to find and cheap used too.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Thanks very much, im going to look into some monitors, what are KRK's like?
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Electrifying

Excellent.

Little smaller than I expected you to be looking at, guess I should have asked lol. You couldn't gig them, they're studio monitors really. If it was for a gig I'd get a powered wedge or two probably, that way you can mike one up or just send your HD to the house PA and you still have proper monitoring - I'd keep it above 12 inch if you do this or it'll sound nasty.

Fostex are similar. Ultra loud, very clear but cheaper I think. Definitely not as good, but you do save some serious dough.

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Im looking at the KRK Rokkit pair, they are 250
and my friend alex uses them in his home setup,
he loves them.
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

JeffHenneman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a podxt pro and I run it with a mesa 2:90. It sounds awesome. I have had a few VHt power amps, but I love the Mesa more. To me the Mesa works so good with the line 6 stuff. It adds depth to the sound. You can find them on eBay all the time for about the price range you are looking at
JeffHenneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
the Experimetalist

Location: the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as Manchester, England
Triple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to allTriple-J is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despised_0515 View Post
I don't know what VHT's go for over there (more expensive I'd think) but a 2/50/2 power amp is right in that price range. That's what I'd pair my HD500 with if I had the funds.

(UK guys, please step in?)
Seeing as VHT is now known as Fryette I take it you mean this? FRYETTE G2502S - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Personally I'd check ebay as there is always someone selling the Marshall 20/20 & 50/50 poweramps and they tend to be at a good price as most people don't seem to know their worth.

"People percieve the rock world as a dichotomy such as 'metal vs alternative' or 'mainstream vs underground' but dichotomies aren't real they're human constructs " - Kim Thayil

"They don't really understand that he was a funny mother@$%ker, he was not some down, dour drug addict. Nobody laughed more than Kurt and we had great times together" - Buzz Osbourne

Triple-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

pathos45 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
It does work very well, I'll agree. An Active monitor would easily be the cheapest option.

VHT just doesn't exist in this country, so OP would have to get a USA one and pay shipping and tax and get a tranny etc etc.

If I were looking for a power amp:

On a budget, Peavey every time, dirt cheap and you can get huge amounts of power for lots of headroom. Processors like power.

With a bit more money I'd look at importing a VHT or ENGL

With any amount of money I'd go for a Mesa Strategy 400 (around 600 here in the UK) or more likely a 2:90 (more like a grand).

Problem is you then need a cab....

For something like that, a Marshall Mode Four cab with the GK-100's would be perfect. Easy to find and cheap used too.
the mesa 400 is one hell of a freaking power amp, 12 power tubes you can mix match them with 6l6 and el34s, or even have a 6l6, el34 and kt88 party which my other guitarist has right now with a mesa stuido pre amp and holllllllllllly f*ck. It is a beast of a power amp though 3 spaces and weighs a good 50 60 pounds. Can power up to 4 4x12s the thing is just over kill yet amazing.
pathos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
Electrifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-J View Post
Seeing as VHT is now known as Fryette I take it you mean this? FRYETTE G2502S - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Personally I'd check ebay as there is always someone selling the Marshall 20/20 & 50/50 poweramps and they tend to be at a good price as most people don't seem to know their worth.
That is the VHT we're talking about (Fryette, whatever), they're much cheaper in the USA, not really worth considering in these parts.

You're spot on with the Marshall Power Amps, they have no following at all in this country so sell for very little on a regular basis.

Unread 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

xjust1nx is on a distinguished road
I run my Pod HD500 through a BBE Sonic Maximizer into a Crown XLS402 into a 4x12 Mesa Rectifier Cab. I Love this setup SO MUCH !
xjust1nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

maccayoung is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was using my hd500 with a velocity 300. I'd give that a try, the reactance and definition dials give you some really nice control.
maccayoung is offline   Reply With Quote