homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By vlover
  • 3 Post By mattofvengeance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Shoop da Whoop!

beretta329 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry ISP Decimator, eats batteries for breakfast?

I never leave my decimator on, but i've owned it for roughly a week and gone through almost 2 9v batteries.... is this normal for this pedal? granted, the week was filled with plenty of playing, but it seems like even once i threw in a new battery the other day, after.. probably 5 hours of playing, it's getting the terrible tone-sucking sound as if the battery is dying. if this thing really eats the fkn batteries this fast i'm thinking i'd be better off to just invest in a cord for it.

Whenever we get a site set up, i'll post it in my sig. Anyway, in the future, look out for my group, A Dirge for Deities!
beretta329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Using a power supply is always the best option. It's easy and cost effective. Honestly, the only reason I have batteries even in my pedals is as a backup.

Though, do you unplug your pedals when not in use?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Shoop da Whoop!

beretta329 has a spectacular aura about
come to think of it, no, i didn't bother unplugging it, i didn't really think it mattered. would that drain the power or something?

(p.s. i'm new to pedals, i used to just use straight up amp tone, but i learned of the greatness of pedals through the almighty ss.org.. and periphery xD )

Whenever we get a site set up, i'll post it in my sig. Anyway, in the future, look out for my group, A Dirge for Deities!
beretta329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta329 View Post
come to think of it, no, i didn't bother unplugging it, i didn't really think it mattered. would that drain the power or something?

(p.s. i'm new to pedals, i used to just use straight up amp tone, but i learned of the greatness of pedals through the almighty ss.org.. and periphery xD )
A lot of pedals remain in a "semi-active" mode as soon as a cable is inserted into them, this can run down the battery. It's just the nature of the circuits. Try keeping it unplugged from now on (when not in use of course) and see how that works.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

vlover is on a distinguished road
people use batteries in pedals?
AxeHappy and The Scenic View like this.

Al: Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or ....in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man -- and give some back.

Al Swearengen: God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes.
vlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
The Tooth Fairy

PirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's the same deal with active pickups. If you leave them plugged it, it can kill your batteries! I'm not sure how the decimator works though.
PirateMetalTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
The same applies if you have active pickups. One of my buddies swore off of EMGs because they "died." He just kept a cable in it all day every day!

EDIT:
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's not a "can kill batteries", it's "does kill batteries".

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
^Depends on the circuitry in question.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
All pedals that I've ever used that require power will only turn one/be able to turn on if you have a pedal plugged into one of the jacks on it, and they've all been the kind that run down batteries as long as whatever jack let's them turn on is plugged into.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

Soubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of light
pedalboard with surge protection
AC adapter
daisy chain
any of those of the above in combo with each other besides the daisy chain are good

check out my band AORTIC:
http://www.facebook.com/Aortic
Soubi7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
pull the plug on your pedals, that'll cure your issue.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Lemme smang it girl!

TXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of light
My friend and I call them "Vampire Devices" because if you keep them plugged in they will drain the life out of your batteries with a quickness.
TXDeathMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril v View Post
pull the plug on your pedals, that'll cure your issue.
I was going to say this, but more like..

WHY
DON'T
YOU

PULL THE PLUG

/Death reference
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
Lemme smang it girl!

TXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of lightTXDeathMetal is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I was going to say this, but more like..

WHY
DON'T
YOU

PULL THE PLUG

/Death reference
Oh I see what you did there.
TXDeathMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, I was told the cable "completes" the circuit, so I unplug my Vox every time, and so far it's still on its 1st battery ( 2 years), and I always have it in my rig...well 80% of the time. I don't abuse it like Kirk Hammet, but I find it great for jazz which I play once in a while. That may explain why I haven't needed to change the battery in it. Actually, it may need a new one soon from constant "fun" abuse.

Anyway to tie things up, I think it depends on the use of the pedal you put it through. Since those are almost always active when playing, it makes sense it will murder battery's. I believe planet waves has a power supply for very cheap.
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
ss.org Regular

Mark Bass is on a distinguished road
Can't add much to this thread except to say everyone is right on the money. Most stomp boxes need the battery to function like a true bypass circuit when switched out. As such, you have to break the connection. Same holds true with the active PUPS in my Hohner B2ADB Steinberger - And the battery is a PITA to get at. If you want to leave everything wired and ready in your jam space then definitely get a 9v adapter. ISP makes one with 5 plugs, you can get it at GC
Mark Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
If you have a house with crappy grounding batteries may be your best option.

BUT the decimator seems to take care of even those problems, so like others have said, just grab a power supply. If you have any other pedals it best to just have a little pedal board to clean up all of the cablage.
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
Dreamer

Arterial is just really niceArterial is just really nice
Honestly, use a wall power thingamabob. Runs great, just another cable though ><

Plus is that no batteries needed!

http://soundcloud.com/technicolourdreamcode

Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 TT
Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 DR
Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez PGM301 - Team J. Craft
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra
Arterial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #20
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
3 Month old thread guys....

To clarify though:
Running on batteries, no pedals will switch on without something plugged in
Plugged into a power supply, most pedals will switch on regardless of something being plugged in
True bypass pedals will not drain the battery if left plugged in
Non True Bypass pedals have a buffer circuit that remains on when the pedal isn't in use, this does drain the battery. EMG's have the same circuit, hence why they die too. Inserting a jack completes a circuit allowing current to flow.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
The only reason to still use batteries is to isolate them from the power supply. I use this in the studio but otherwise just set them up plugged in. Funnily enough, the batteries in Boss pedals aren't drained if something is plugged into the DC plug (from what I've seen) So you can leave batteries in them no problems

My band - Ex Curia - Prog metal in an Opeth meets Machine Head kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote