homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Leonardo DiShuggah

habicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of lighthabicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of lighthabicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
POD X3 question/concern

ok, since i know that the POD X3 has plenty of different distortions, mods, eq's and such, im only concerned about the distortions (in this case, overdrives) and noise gates

since im still on the hunt for things to "fix" my 5150, one of the things i was wanting to get is a POD X3 (aiming towards a Live, but an original wouldn't hurt much), would using the distortion/gate mods be any different from using individual pedals? (detailed example coming up)

POD X3 (Screamer w/ noise gate) -> 5150 MK1 blk

- or -

TS808 w/ NS2 (dunno if they're close examples) -> 5150 MK1 blk

Self-Proclaimed Metalheaded Gaming Otaku
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG7620 (in pieces)
Ibanez RG8
Ibanez SR405
habicore_5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
cylon

thraxil is a glorious beacon of lightthraxil is a glorious beacon of lightthraxil is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd go for the X3 Live (or one of the HD's) over the TS808+NS2.

If you use it in 4-cable mode, the noise gate on the Pod will be superior, the Pod's Tube Screamer simulation is good enough, you'll have additional EQ and effects available, you can bypass the 5150's preamp in favor of the Pod's on a per-setting basis for more flexibility if you need it, plus you can set up your patches for easier switching.

A TS808 might sound a little better than the Pod, but IMO, the Pod's parametric EQ more than makes up for it. If you pay $150 for a TS808 and $100 for an NS2, you're already getting pretty close to what a used X3 Live would cost you.
thraxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
AU director / RHLC

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
well,if it helps this is how i run my X3L with my mesa dual,in 4 cable method.
no other stomps used/needed.with 4cm the tube screamer sim on the X3L is placed before the amp(as would be the case with a real stomp)and the added benefit of being able to place FX before or after the actual amp.as long as your amp has a loop its easy and the only other pedal i have on my board is my digi whammy and channel switcher for the amp.

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

MESA OWNERS CLUB MEMBER..R-014XXX
cow 7 sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Leonardo DiShuggah

habicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of lighthabicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of lighthabicore_5150 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by thraxil View Post
I'd go for the X3 Live (or one of the HD's) over the TS808+NS2.

. . . . . . . .

If you pay $150 for a TS808 and $100 for an NS2, you're already getting pretty close to what a used X3 Live would cost you.
would i consider $320 USD for an X3 Live "close" enough? i mean getting one brand new would be about $500 or so

Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG8
Ibanez SR405
Unread 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
AU director / RHLC

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
the X3L will do what your after and a whole lot more.if you can pick up a second hand one for a good price,do it.

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

MESA OWNERS CLUB MEMBER..R-014XXX
cow 7 sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Leonardo DiShuggah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow 7 sig View Post
the X3L will do what your after and a whole lot more.if you can pick up a second hand one for a good price,do it.
alrighty, planning on meeting this guy about 30 miles out of town to get the pedal sometime tomorrow, if this goes thru, might as well open up a NPD thread

Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG8
Ibanez SR405