homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

pwilldabeast14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs up Good metal amp for under $800?

right now i have a vox valvetronix15 and an agile 8 string and i need a new amp!

im currently set on a peavey vypyr 60, i liked all the modeling and tube power. so is this a good amp for the money? because ive heard many mixed reviews

what are some other good choices?
pwilldabeast14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you have $800 to work with, and don't need effects, then look into a used Peavey 5150 and cab. That being said, if you want the advantages f modeling amps, look into a Vetta combo, as they can be found close to your price range, sound killer, and have proven themselves with ERGs.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Opeth666 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
5150... //thread
Opeth666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

slayerrulesyo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Craigslist. You can find Mesa Rectifiers for about that low if you keep your eye out. If you want a combo:

As Max said...

Peavey 5150/6505 + combo
Line 6 Vetta combo

If an amp is out of your price range, look on the used market. I bought my rectifier for 750

myspace.com/risefromyourgravetx

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rise-F...27896020589873

Houston/Dallas Melodic Hardcore (For fans of Misery Signals, The Black Dahlia Murder, Through the Eyes of the Dead, and Circa Survive)
slayerrulesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
6505/5150 (+), randall v2h, xxx/3120, Jsx, engl e530, vetta, carvin v3, off the top of my head.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

these are all good choices, mayb a little high for me, but i really need a good tone out of a resonably priced amp so i still can buy some effects
Unread 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Jazzercize will become famous soon enough
personally ive used a 5150 stock, a couple randalls, mesa triple rec and my favorite by far is my engl e530 paired with my mesa 20/20. i can up the gain and mids and really thump out some heavy tunes or i can switch to its clean channel and lay down some super smooth and glassy jazz riffs. probly the most versatile amp ive used. although buying the pair would put you probly 100-200 dollars outside of your range its definitely something to think about IMO.
Jazzercize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

hmm i looked it up and it was like almost 2 grand?

i just need an amp for around 500 so i can then buy effects and idont need a cab because its mainly for bedroom playing right now.
thts why i thought the vypyr would be a combination of both my needs
but i really need a solid tone for my 8 string
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

LacesOutTyler is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Honestly, the Vypyr series are some really killer amps for both the quality of sound and the price range. A Vypyr combo definitely sounds like it will meet your needs.

However, "mainly bedroom playing" is good and "right now" is okay, but if you plan to start playing with a band even in the next 6 months to a year you'll really wish you just went ahead and got a good amp head and cab. This happened to me and I really wish I had been posting on this forum at that time so someone could have talked me out of my less expensive modeling amp decision
LacesOutTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth666 View Post
5150... //thread

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

myampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of lightmyampslouder is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
5150/6505 is good choice, Could look into a bugera but i dont know much about their reliability. used Randalls are dirt cheap and i've gotten great tones from them.
myampslouder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Bugera reliability is fine - they had a bit of bad press due to issues early on but they're great value now. Other than that Vetta, 5150/6505 I guess. I'd go solid state but that's just me as I know the H&K/Ampeg/etc tones are acquired tastes

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
Bassist of Redivider

Despised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I scored my 5150II + 412 cab for just barely over your price range. I'm certain you can score a 5150 + 212 and be more than happy.

Keep looking and be patient. You'll score a great deal for sure.
Despised_0515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #14

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
We played with a band the other night and a guy was using a Madison. It sounded brutal and I think they are around $800. Look into it. Otherwise, what they said.
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
Bugera. I have one and they are really good if you're looking for the 5150/6505 tone and you don't have to spend as much money.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Buy my Mesa DC-5. 600 plus shipping and you'll have some money left over for a noise gate and boost pedal
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

warlock7strEMG is a jewel in the rough
used 5150 and 212 cab. or even better 6505+ 112 combo. they arent particularly quiet but the do sound pretty good at bedroom levels, bein 60 watts they saturate little sooner. with an OD boost and the lead channel gain low, they sound great with low tuning. plenty tight and clear. they only run about $600 new, so u will have money leftover for pedals and whatnot
warlock7strEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
If you have $800 to work with, and don't need effects, then look into a used Peavey 5150 and cab. That being said, if you want the advantages f modeling amps, look into a Vetta combo, as they can be found close to your price range, sound killer, and have proven themselves with ERGs.
This. Not to jump on the "5150 /thread" bandwagon, but for that budget you could probably track one down and you'll get a great tone out of it. Also, I've never tried a Vetta, but they sound just as good as any other amp out there for metal. Planetary Duality by The Faceless is all Vetta, and Meshuggah used them for a couple of albums before switching to the Axe-Fx (IMO their tone didn't improve, either.) The Vetta is probably the best amp Line 6 makes, and the 5150 is probably the best amp Peavey makes, for that matter. At least for metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth666 View Post
5150... //thread
woops
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Line 6 Vetta II 2x12'' 150 watt Guitar Amp Combo - eBay (item 110603339503 end time Oct-28-10 12:17:03 PDT)
Grand Moff Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

well a vetta would be sick but too pricey, the mesa dc5 seems to be out of production(im not sure), bugeras look nice but all i saw was like 120 watt heads, SO it looks like peavey may be for me.

although i still hve my eye on the vypyr ive looked into the 5150 combo which seems like a great choice. just one thing- after hearing many reviews of 5150 many have said the clean channel sucks, does anyone know for sure?
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilldabeast14 View Post
well a vetta would be sick but too pricey, the mesa dc5 seems to be out of production(im not sure), bugeras look nice but all i saw was like 120 watt heads, SO it looks like peavey may be for me.

although i still hve my eye on the vypyr ive looked into the 5150 combo which seems like a great choice. just one thing- after hearing many reviews of 5150 many have said the clean channel sucks, does anyone know for sure?
I am of the opinion that the clean channels on 5150s as well as 6505s (being the same amp and all) suck and aren't really usable as a clean channel. With some pedals and the right guitar/pickups then you could probably get a decent clean (I'm waiting for the day someone shuts me up with a smooth jazz clip done with a 6505 with a EMG loaded Jackson) but I wouldn't get a 5150 if you need good cleans. And also, the 5150 is a 120W head. The combo is 60. The 5150 still can sound good at low volume, I've always found.

Just look around on the used market, for $800 you could get a great amp I bet.

Also I second the recommendation of a used Randall of some sort, if you don't mind solid state amps. A lot of them apparently have good cleans too. Maybe look for the RH150 or RH300 G2 or G3 amps, the Cyclone, Titan, or the Warhead.
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
SS Contributor

Quote:

I know it's out of production, that's why I suggested you buy the one I have for sale
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

oh but thanks for the vetta ebay link that looks pretty tempting, except i might break my back trying to move that mother
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
surrounded by chairs

Quote:
oh but thanks for the vetta ebay link that looks pretty tempting, except i might break my back trying to move that mother
It'd still be lighter than a 5150 combo. 5150 combos are nearly as big as a 4x12 cab, and tube amps are generally a lot heavier than a similarly sized solid state. Seriously, 5150 combos are some of the largest amps ever.
Unread 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
It'd still be lighter than a 5150 combo. 5150 combos are nearly as big as a 4x12 cab, and tube amps are generally a lot heavier than a similarly sized solid state. Seriously, 5150 combos are some of the largest amps ever.
I used to have a 5150 2x12 and it weighted exactly 93 pounds. It also doesn't come stock with wheeled casters or side handles, so unless you install those, you have to lift the entire weight of it with the one top handle. It's giant