homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree2381Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #1151
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusR View Post
i think i'll try that when i get home.

Reminds me of my gilmour stage when i depended on a good clean and a distortion pedal
Quote:
Originally Posted by space frog View Post
be careful though, it might not give the results you'd expect if your pups don't have an output as high as mine.
Actually most of my gain patches are using less distortion from the amp and boosted with one of the distortions. Works better with single-coils than getting all the gain from the amp (model).

I also have a bank of Gilmour-inspired patches using the same HiWatt settings and various different distortions / fuzzes that I've been using almost extensively.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #1152
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostsofAcid View Post
I use my hd500 for death metal. My main patch is intended to pretty much emulate John Gallagher's tone on Descend into Depravity, which i think it does pretty well.

Updated to 1.40... haven't had time to really mess with the new stuff yet. I think my patches might sound a tad muddier now though
not a big fan of the vh140 sound, kinda thin, looking for a modern death metal tone that's thick and harmonically rich but i can still fast/hard gate it for chug and djent

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #1153
SS.org Regular

MartinMTL will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
I've been jamming with my buddy from Boston for the last few days running into the effects return of the Flextone III. Any basic amp with an effects return will do, all you have to do is change the setup to match your configuration.
From what I have heard, it is best to not run it through something like a combo amp. I also feel like certain cabs will get me a better tone. Then again, I am a completely new to this amp modelling stuff. I don't really know what can affect its tone. I quite honestly am not looking to spend a large sum of money as well as the hd pro unit itself is already putting a dent in my disposable income.
MartinMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #1154
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMTL View Post
From what I have heard, it is best to not run it through something like a combo amp. I also feel like certain cabs will get me a better tone. Then again, I am a completely new to this amp modelling stuff. I don't really know what can affect its tone. I quite honestly am not looking to spend a large sum of money as well as the hd pro unit itself is already putting a dent in my disposable income.
Different cabs giving you better tone is actually untrue in my experience. The PodHD sounds best using FRFR, which the Flextone III amp I use is as close to that as I can get atm.

That being said, you'll get some speaker coloration of the tone, and you can also disable the speaker emulations if you find the coloration unpleasant.

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #1155
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Quote:
That being said, you'll get some speaker coloration of the tone, and you can also disable the speaker emulations if you find the coloration unpleasant.
I was reading over at the line 6 forums - I guess you can only turn off the cabs in the POD HD500. The 300 and 400 you cannot. I find that a little silly, to be honest. WTF was line 6 thinking? Glad I got the 500. Doesn't effect me, but I'd be pissed if I had bought the 400 like I almost did.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #1156
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
I was reading over at the line 6 forums - I guess you can only turn off the cabs in the POD HD500. The 300 and 400 you cannot. I find that a little silly, to be honest. WTF was line 6 thinking? Glad I got the 500. Doesn't effect me, but I'd be pissed if I had bought the 400 like I almost did.
because they want you to buy the 500!

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #1157
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Good point, I forgot that element was specific to the HD500, Pro and Bean. I too almost picked up the HD400 until I read about that and the 4 effect limitation. Then I decided I also wanted the XLR outs as well and that sealed the decision for me.

Odly enough, I use the onboard cab sims pretty exclusively myself. I've tried a few different IRs when futzing about with recording and just haven't found any that I like better than the stock sims.
celebro95 likes this.

Unread 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #1158
SS.org Regular

space frog is a jewel in the rough
would it be okay to plug the HD500 directly into an Orange 412 cab? Would it give good results? I could get a cab right now but not a head, so I wanna know if it would be worth it getting the cab now...

My band:www.facebook.com/oftemples

Main gear:
-Carvin DC727
-Ibanez S7320
-Jackson DK2M Dinky
-some goodie in build process
-Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
-Axe Fx standard
-Orange PPC412
space frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #1159
SS.org Regular

celebro95 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
my setup
2 POD HD500 (1 for backup and interface)
2 Tech21 PE60 (stereo Setup)
2 Sennheiser e609
PlanetWaves / Mogami Cables

guitars
EBMM BFR JPX7, EBMM JP7 LE, Ibby Apex2
celebro95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #1160
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by space frog View Post
would it be okay to plug the HD500 directly into an Orange 412 cab? Would it give good results? I could get a cab right now but not a head, so I wanna know if it would be worth it getting the cab now...
WHAAT ???

you need a "PowerSection" to run your POD
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #1161
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebro95 View Post
WHAAT ???

you need a "PowerSection" to run your POD
that's what I knew, but I wished I did not know I don't NEED it... broke guy GAS question ahaha

Main gear:
-Carvin DC727
-Ibanez S7320
-Jackson DK2M Dinky
-Axe Fx standard
-Orange PPC412
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #1162
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
the power coming out of the POD is only at line level at most, not nearly strong enough to push a cab. that's why you need a power amp to bring the signal up to a power level that can drive the speakers.

There are cheap power amps though. PA power amps for example.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #1163
SS.org Regular

alright thanks I'll check if I can afford one of those

Main gear:
-Carvin DC727
-Ibanez S7320
-Jackson DK2M Dinky
-Axe Fx standard
-Orange PPC412
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #1164
SS.org Regular

you can get a Tech21 Power Engine 60 for $400 or less !!!
Unread 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #1165
Banned

murakami is a jewel in the rough
new update dlc for the line6 pod hd.

it offers a 'hard gate model' whatever the hell that is

Line 6 :: Software

i downloaded it yesterday but couldn't fnd it :/

edit: nevermind. found it in dynamics
murakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #1166
What's a guitar?

MABGuitar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by murakami View Post
new update dlc for the line6 pod hd.

it offers a 'hard gate model' whatever the hell that is

Line 6 :: Software

i downloaded it yesterday but couldn't fnd it :/

edit: nevermind. found it in dynamics
You are quite a few days late my friend.
MABGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #1167
SS.org Regular

pitbulltodd is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i'm trying to decide what will give me the best live sound. i'm into shredding, nu metal, djent. should i get the podhd pro or get an amp head (Laney Ironheart, 5150 III, Bugera TriRec, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, etc...)?
pitbulltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #1168
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulltodd View Post
i'm trying to decide what will give me the best live sound. i'm into shredding, nu metal, djent. should i get the podhd pro or get an amp head (Laney Ironheart, 5150 III, Bugera TriRec, Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, etc...)?
YOU SHOULD GET WHAT FITS YOUR BUDGET AND WHAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TRIED AND LIKE THE SOUND OF MATE, YOUR QUESTION HAS TOO MANY FACTORS TOO IT

bloody caps, how i hate you work software

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #1169
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultorture View Post
YOU SHOULD GET WHAT FITS YOUR BUDGET AND WHAT YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TRIED AND LIKE THE SOUND OF MATE, YOUR QUESTION HAS TOO MANY FACTORS TOO IT

It really depends on your needs and what you have currently. For my situation, I needed something affordable, that I could easily use for recording, practicing or (in future) playing live. I wanted something I could adapt for use with drastically different guitars and styles. Modelling as a whole is really the only option that fits me in a shoestring budget. I also needed something that I could practice with in absolute quiet so as not to disturb my wife and houseguest at the late hours I practice. I also don't have an extensive collection of analog effects (though even I did, the PODHD does have a switchable effect loop built in to the unit (500 and Pro at least).

Unread 11-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #1170
SS.org Regular

Quote:
It really depends on your needs and what you have currently. For my situation, I needed something affordable, that I could easily use for recording, practicing or (in future) playing live. I wanted something I could adapt for use with drastically different guitars and styles. Modelling as a whole is really the only option that fits me in a shoestring budget. I also needed something that I could practice with in absolute quiet so as not to disturb my wife and houseguest at the late hours I practice. I also don't have an extensive collection of analog effects (though even I did, the PODHD does have a switchable effect loop built in to the unit (500 and Pro at least).
sounds very similar to my situation. can the podhd 500 or pro rack get better tone than the podhd300? i traded a guitar for the podhd300 and i can get some ok sounds out of it but not good enough to build a whole rig around.
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #1171
1-watt brigadier

Quote:
sounds very similar to my situation. can the podhd 500 or pro rack get better tone than the podhd300? i traded a guitar for the podhd300 and i can get some ok sounds out of it but not good enough to build a whole rig around.
It really depends. The 500, Pro & Bean all have more horsepower and can run more effects at once. Consequently you can also run the full dual rigs (not sure if this is a feature of the 300 & 400. The one thing I will say is that there is definitely a lot of experimentation with the different models, cabs, mics to get the sounds you might be after.

That being said, some of my favorite patches are some of my simpler ones, like the Dr Z Dirty Clean....real simple, configured just like I would the actual amp and sounds great.

Unread 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #1172
What's a guitar?

MABGuitar will become famous soon enough
Created a lead tone with my hd500 and I'm testing it in this video going through my peavey vypyr. Tell me if you guys like it.
MABGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #1173
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Actually, I'd say that the fact that he's got such a variety of different tastes makes him a prime candidate for an HD500/pro.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #1174
Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
Actually, I'd say that the fact that he's got such a variety of different tastes makes him a prime candidate for an HD500/pro.
also true, but with that he could also achieve some decent tones using free sims like lepou on his comp.

modelling is a great start as you get so much for so little and modellers are getting better and better each year. that and it would fit a budget better than an amp head which would take him from anywhere like $600 to $3000, cabs around $1000, a gate, overdrives, effects, and so on, so in this case it would work well.

but it would also come down to whether he is interested in going down that path or the classice guitar to amp path. if moddeling, go Line 6 for starts, maybe even try some free amp sims. if amps, well then you are for sure gunna have to get out and try anything you can

Unread 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #1175
SS.org Regular

Quote:
also true, but with that he could also achieve some decent tones using free sims like lepou on his comp.

modelling is a great start as you get so much for so little and modellers are getting better and better each year. that and it would fit a budget better than an amp head which would take him from anywhere like $600 to $3000, cabs around $1000, a gate, overdrives, effects, and so on, so in this case it would work well.

but it would also come down to whether he is interested in going down that path or the classice guitar to amp path. if moddeling, go Line 6 for starts, maybe even try some free amp sims. if amps, well then you are for sure gunna have to get out and try anything you can
i use tons of free amp sims and cab impulses. i also use podfarm and amplitube. i haven't been blown away by any of the tones i've gotten from them. i have a podhd300 and as i said it's ok but not spectacular. i was hoping the 500 or the pro was a big step up from the 300 as far as tones go. i already have a randall 4x12 cab with v30's. so i could get the hd500 and a power amp or get an amp head. all the heads i'm looking at are between $800-$1000 and i figured that's what the podhd500 and a power amp would cost as well.