homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree2412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #401
SS.org Regular

zeppelinrock34 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've gotten suggestions to run it straight into a power amp such as Carvin CS100, anybody have experience or opinion on how they think it would sound. I want tube sound, but i'd like to use the Pod for effects and possibly gain.
zeppelinrock34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #402
SS.org Regular

Kali Yuga has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeiraesp View Post
What are you running through?
I'm going direct into a Digidesign 003/Pro Tools 8, monitoring through Sony MDR-7506 headphones.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #403
ss.org Regular

c-chavez is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Of all digital pedalboards I've tried (zoom, digitech, boss, and line6), the pods are the ones i've found more convincing. I'll recommend a pod if you want it for rehearsals, but for a live setting you just have to build your own (sometimes really expensive) rig.
c-chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #404
SS.org Regular

TimTomTum is a jewel in the rough
When you had to chose a HD500 or a Digitech GSP1101, which one would you take?
I play with the thought to sell my GSP for a HD...
TimTomTum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #405
Quantum Realm

KoenDercksen is a jewel in the rough
HD for sure!
KoenDercksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #406
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTomTum View Post
When you had to chose a HD500 or a Digitech GSP1101, which one would you take?
I play with the thought to sell my GSP for a HD...
The only reason i'd consider the GSP, is due to it being rackmount, if you want that kinda setup. Loading in your own Impulses also, is great, but in terms of pure tone, the HD wipes the floor with the GSP.

I recently sold my GSP1101, and im not missing it at all now that I have my HD500, In fact I wonder how I had any modellers before the HD500, the difference is so drastic to me.

So yea, If you want a rackmount unit, I guess the GSP would work until/if they make a HD pro/rackmount version. Then its no question.
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #407
SS.org Regular

horacexgrant will become famous soon enough
I have a question: Does the variance of sound on the Axe FX/ HD500 change drastically depending on the amp/guitar/pickups? Or do these pedals bypass those 3 things for the most part and give off the pedal's sound and tone? Since I'm guessing that the amp influences the pedal's sound, is it worth it to buy an Axe FX/ HD500 without considering a proper amplifier to complement it? (My current amp is a Crate GX-20r, not sure if the pedals will sound good on them. help anyone?). Thus, if a "good" amp is needed to complement these pedals (for that Marco Sfogli tone in those Static Impulse vids), which amps should I consider?

Btw, does anyone know the amp Marco Sfogli used in that video with the AxeFx? That is the exact tone I'm looking for in a lead tone. PLEASE HELP ME ACHEIVE THAT SOUND!! thanks

Searching for a great lead/metal/shred tone ala Petrucci, Rob Marcello, Romeo, etc....

Please help if you can in terms of pedals, amps, and what combination to reach that tone.
horacexgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #408
Carvin Fanboy

NickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to allNickCormier is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I would say yes, horacexgrant.

I found with any of the higher end modellers, even my old Pod X3, would be drastically different when using different guitars/pickups.. and obviously going into a different amp will change the power tubes/etc which will change the tone.

You can get things decently close with the same patch, but for me personally I change the EQing/settings a tad bit for each different guitar.. and I was labeling my patches like "RG6-distortion" or "RG7-clean" and etc, dependent on each guitar.

I will say though, you can get any tone you desire pretty close with any guitar though.. Right now my only working/setup guitar is a Xaviere semi-hollow les paul, which normally wouldnt sound good for high gain metal (very feedbackish), but I found some patches that sounds pretty badass, playing stuff like Death with no problem.

In terms of your situation, I dont know too much about your Crate amp, but if it has an effects loop (so the HD500 can bypass the preamp), it should sound OK. I'd suggest getting a cheap tube amp such as the Crate V33 or similar (ideally one with an effects loop), which would give you some nice powertubes for under $300, but its up to you. Obviously with something as nice as the AxeFX/PodHD, you would like to have at least a decent poweramp and speakers to go into as well. Im running into a Carvin T100 poweramp ($300) thru a custom made 1x12, and it sounds great.

Marco Sfogli's tone will be possible with the AxeFX or PodHD for sure, but since his tone has a bit more of an airy/tubish feel to it, You most likely will need a guitar with above-decent pickups (dimarzio/duncan/etc) and a good amp/speaker.. but I have no doubt you could get that tone easily with either of the two. the dynamics on the Pod HD are just unreal, for the price you pay... it really makes my Axe-FX gas almost non-existant
NickCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #409
SS.org Regular

horacexgrant will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
I would say yes, horacexgrant.

I found with any of the higher end modellers, even my old Pod X3, would be drastically different when using different guitars/pickups.. and obviously going into a different amp will change the power tubes/etc which will change the tone.

You can get things decently close with the same patch, but for me personally I change the EQing/settings a tad bit for each different guitar.. and I was labeling my patches like "RG6-distortion" or "RG7-clean" and etc, dependent on each guitar.

I will say though, you can get any tone you desire pretty close with any guitar though.. Right now my only working/setup guitar is a Xaviere semi-hollow les paul, which normally wouldnt sound good for high gain metal (very feedbackish), but I found some patches that sounds pretty badass, playing stuff like Death with no problem.

In terms of your situation, I dont know too much about your Crate amp, but if it has an effects loop (so the HD500 can bypass the preamp), it should sound OK. I'd suggest getting a cheap tube amp such as the Crate V33 or similar (ideally one with an effects loop), which would give you some nice powertubes for under $300, but its up to you. Obviously with something as nice as the AxeFX/PodHD, you would like to have at least a decent poweramp and speakers to go into as well. Im running into a Carvin T100 poweramp ($300) thru a custom made 1x12, and it sounds great.

Marco Sfogli's tone will be possible with the AxeFX or PodHD for sure, but since his tone has a bit more of an airy/tubish feel to it, You most likely will need a guitar with above-decent pickups (dimarzio/duncan/etc) and a good amp/speaker.. but I have no doubt you could get that tone easily with either of the two. the dynamics on the Pod HD are just unreal, for the price you pay... it really makes my Axe-FX gas almost non-existant

Thank you kind sir. I think I'm gonna get an HD500 and a set of $100 monitors. I'll connect them to my PC where I record, and I should have nice pro tones at my fingertips, and i'm all set!

Searching for a great lead/metal/shred tone ala Petrucci, Rob Marcello, Romeo, etc....

Please help if you can in terms of pedals, amps, and what combination to reach that tone.
horacexgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #410
SS.org Regular

rockstarazuri is just really nicerockstarazuri is just really nice

Don't mind the playing, I'd get a HD500 just for the Metropolis and BC&SL tones like this!
rockstarazuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #411
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
So I got my HD400. Installed everything etc. But I can't get any sound, it reacts if I try to record in Reaper but I can't hear it.
I guess I need to have my monitors plugged in to the Pod as well, not just the USB?

Sorry for the extremely retarded question.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #412
Quantum Realm

If you turn track monitoring on, you'll get sound.. With latency however, if you go through USB. If you have it set up through an interface it should work without latency I guess.
Unread 12-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #413
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenDercksen View Post
If you turn track monitoring on, you'll get sound.. With latency however, if you go through USB. If you have it set up through an interface it should work without latency I guess.
Thank you so much, now I have sound. But I have a ton of latency.. 185ms
And yes I play through USB, I don't understand what playing through an interface is..

Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Unread 12-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #414
Quantum Realm

Well, if you have an audio interface like those M-Audio Fasttrack things or some Tascam interface, that kind of stuff, then you can hook the output of the pod to the input of the interface. Interface is connected to the PC via USB or FireWire but will provide far lower latency than just using an USB port...

What you could also do is hook up the POD to your USB port and then monitor using headphones or something.
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #415
Fapping to J-rock

So, I basically have to shit out another €15 for it to work properly, without latency and without headphones? God damnit.. It wont work using my Line6 GX soundcard somehow? I had a ton of latency with that thing too though... I hate technology.

I'm sorry if I sound like a douche, but I'm pretty pissed right now considering at this rate I'm not gonna have a dime to spend on anything except getting this to work until summer...

And I also think the pedal on it is broken. Because it barely stays up (down). I can probably make a video to show that...

Get the .... over it.

Unread 12-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #416
ss.org Regular

evilmnky204 is on a distinguished road
i just got my pod hd 500, and i'm loving it so far, i'm not even coming close to things to run out of tweaking. i have noticed though, that it sounds somewhat different, due to the fact that i'm playing it through my computer speakers, which are quite different than playing through normal speakers, as i understand, computer speakers are more calibrated to get a
"nice" sound, from what i understand. would getting a somewhat cheap monitors (such as Buy M-Audio Studiophile BX5A Deluxe Limited Edition | Powered Monitors | Musician's Friend or Buy M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Reference Speaker System pair | Powered Monitors | Musician's Friend) help this, and possibly make it sound more true to what it should be?
evilmnky204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #417
97.5 The Brodeo

Invader is just really niceInvader is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
So, I basically have to shit out another 15 for it to work properly, without latency and without headphones? God damnit.. It wont work using my Line6 GX soundcard somehow? I had a ton of latency with that thing too though... I hate technology.
If the HD is the same as the XT in this regard, do this:

Record through USB.

Connect the headphone out of your HD to the Line In on your sound card.

Turn on Line In monitoring on your sound card mixer.

Enjoy lag free monitoring through your computer speakers or whatever you have hooked up.
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #418
Fapping to J-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
If the HD is the same as the XT in this regard, do this:

Record through USB.

Connect the headphone out of your HD to the Line In on your sound card.

Turn on Line In monitoring on your sound card mixer.

Enjoy lag free monitoring through your computer speakers or whatever you have hooked up.
Thing is, I've done that. And I get a signal and all that in my DAW, but I can't hear anything.. I guess that's probably a setting that's messed up in my DAW, which is Reaper.

Get the .... over it.

Unread 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #419
Quantum Realm

If that's the problem, you probably need to change the settings for track monitoring.. I'm not sure, but you can choose between signal monitoring and line in monitoring IIRC... Try looking at that.
Unread 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #420
Fapping to J-rock

Holy shit, I don't know what I did, but now it works

Get the .... over it.

Unread 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #421
Quantum Realm

Haha! Good work
Unread 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #422
Blackjack owner

Ravelle17 is a jewel in the rough
This thing is ....ing godlike. Especially for the price.

Here's a quick and dirty metalzllzlzlz demo I did, ignore the ass-tacular solo:

HD500 metalz | Nick Porcaro
Ravelle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #423
SS.org Regular

DropTheSun is a jewel in the rough
HD300 and HD400 users! Check out my Djent-Tone!! Line 6 :: Custom Tone

I have HD300 and it's amazing equipment!! Love the sound i can get from it.
DropTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #424
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Any GSP1101 owners switch to the HD500?
Can you give a good review as to what the difference is in tone and control please?

Thanks
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #425
Quantum Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kake View Post
HD300 and HD400 users! Check out my Djent-Tone!! Line 6 :: Custom Tone

I have HD300 and it's amazing equipment!! Love the sound i can get from it.
Hiya dude, could you maybe post the settings here so us HD500 users can do something with it? Would be awesome.