homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

norrin radcliff is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Peavey JSX Effects Loop and MXR Carbon Copy Level Questions

Haven't seen much about this and didn't know if anyone had any feedback.

I'm playing through a JSX combo now (tied to a Peavey MS 4x12 when playing out) and just put an MXR Carbon Copy in my loop.

When the delay effect is on, the level of the delay doesn't seem that great. The level drop is the worst on the Ultra and Crunch channels (delay is barely audible) whereas the clean channel seems to have a decent delay level on it. I've tried different send and return level settings as well as the changing the Wet/dry mix on the pedal with no real improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I also have a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in the loop and the level of that seems ok to me...

Thanks!
norrin radcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like the Built in Noise Gate is fighting the Delay. If the combo has one.

Try different pedal placement and new/different cables.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Good call on the gate. I didn't turn that down and typically have it at 7-8. I think this would also explain why the Ultra and Crunch channels were affected, since I don't believe the clean channel passes through that circuit (I have to double check this).

I'm pretty confident that my cables are ok since my chorus is working/sounding fine in the loop.

Tried the delay in front of the amp and it didn't sound so hot. I'm a pretty firm believer in time based stuff going in the loop (this is how I was gigging my legacy and I didn't have the issue I'm having now).

I'll check the gate next. Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 10-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
I drive a forklift.

Herb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to all
I don't think it's the gate because I have the same problem when using my CC in the loop of my Mark IV.

I have to turn the mix knob on the MXR upto full to really get anything.

Herb Dorklift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
i think just some pedals wash-out more than others, my Akai Headrush 2 was horrible with distortion but great clean. Didnt matter if i put it before the head or in the effects loop.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i'll check my CC with my JP1 / marshall rig and report, but from memory it is all good there seems to be no drop, filter issues...etc..
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maybe it's a low battery? It might have something to do with the type of fx loop?

I'm just taking guesses here

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Thanks for your ideas. I adjusted the gate with no real impact. As someone mentioned, if I crank the mix on the CC, it starts to work. I'm using a brick, so power to the unit shouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking it just may be the combination of the pedal and the loop.

I did notice that the more gain I was running the more noticeable the drop off of the effect became - which is still weird because my chorus sounds fine.

On clean settings everything worked completely as expected. I'm going to try another pedal today (DD3) and see if there's a difference.

Thanks again for your input.
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
I drive a forklift.

Herb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to allHerb Dorklift is a name known to all
I figured it might be something to do with it being analog becasue my cheap Behringer digi delay works great....

Herb Dorklift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Dorklift View Post
I figured it might be something to do with it being analog becasue my cheap Behringer digi delay works great....
Interesting point.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Well, I took back the CC today. I couldn't figure out what was up with it.

My frustrations were confirmed when I read a bunch of posts on the Egnater forums from people that have the exact same problem with the CC in their loops.

Some people added line levelers, but I'd just as soon get a different pedal that's not as tempermental.

I looked at a Hardwire today and was pretty pleased with it. The modulated delay sounded good. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow and give it a shot during our saturday gig and see how it plays out.
Unread 10-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
EHX Memory Toy has been awesome for me
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Picked up the Hardwire DL8 and CR7 Chorus at GC today with a $50 off coupon. Couldn't be happier (so far). Although not true analog, the sims sound as good as analog stuff I've owned and the built in Tap Tempo and Looper are a bonus.

The loop level is cool now...weird.
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
BEADGBEG

EvolDerek is a jewel in the rough
have the same problem withj mine in my krank. glad it wasnt just me!
EvolDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

Ian Egnater is a jewel in the rough
If you are referring to how the CC makes it sound like a wet blanket is thrown over your speakers, it's usually the fact that it gets overloaded very easily in the loop of most amps. Unfortunately that's just how the CC works.
Ian Egnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphy1976 View Post
i'll check my CC with my JP1 / marshall rig and report, but from memory it is all good there seems to be no drop, filter issues...etc..
just an update, i did not feel any drop in any way, but my effect are not in the effect loop, they are on the guitar chain...i guess old habits ...
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote