homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

rohanranjan is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Peavey JSX + Cab problem. HELP!!!

Hey guys,

I jut received a peavey JSX and i plugged in the power cord. What i didnt realize was that the on power switch and standby switch were in the on position. I quickly realized this and turned it off. Plugged in my cab. Set impedance to 4ohm on both the head and cab and no sound. Tried 16ohm, no sound. The lights on the amp for the fat switches and clean dont turn on.

Help guys?
rohanranjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

IbanezJ2GA is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have a jsx too but its 212 and that sounds kind of wierd.. I dont think having your standby and poweron while plugin in the cord in the back would do damage to it but you never know. Did you buy used or new? Try unlpuggin the amp and repluggin it back in. If that doesnt work i would contact peavey or bring it back to the store if thats where you bought it from.
IbanezJ2GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

I bought it new. Dont think that was the problem. I dont get any sound from my cab. I dont know what to do... Whats confusing is that the lights on the light dont light up. The power amps do.
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanranjan View Post
I bought it new. Dont think that was the problem. I dont get any sound from my cab. I dont know what to do... Whats confusing is that the lights on the light dont light up. The power amps do.
Huh?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Bleh sorry. What i meant was the lights for the fat switches and clean channel dont turn on. And i meant the power tubes do glow so im guessing that aint the problem
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Try the fuse, even though the power tubes light up.

Though, I highly recommend you call Peavey up.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

viesczy is a jewel in the rough
Do the tubes light up? You might've just popped the fuse. Typically they're by the power cord itself--right below the socket.

Dumb question, you had the volume up on the amp and you've tested the cables too? I had a bad cable one time @ rehearsal a few years ago, and right 'fore I switched to my backup rig I grabbed my 6' cable and voila, or viola if you prefer, I had sound! 'Fore that I was fit to be tied!

Derek
viesczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viesczy View Post
Do the tubes light up? You might've just popped the fuse. Typically they're by the power cord itself--right below the socket.

Dumb question, you had the volume up on the amp and you've tested the cables too? I had a bad cable one time @ rehearsal a few years ago, and right 'fore I switched to my backup rig I grabbed my 6' cable and voila, or viola if you prefer, I had sound! 'Fore that I was fit to be tied!

Derek
Yea i tried man. Its not hte cable. Tried 4 different ones. Its the amp for sure. How do i check if the fuse is blown? I cant see inside the fuse... Its like grey. Not a glass one
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Fuses are super cheap, just get a new one.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

I did an continuity test with my multimeter and the fuse is still working fine so thats not the problem
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Very peculiar. Though I don't support amp abuse try smacking it. That helps my peavey sometimes tho mines freakin ancient. ( over 20 years), but like MaxOfMetal said I'd just call up Peavey.
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

I really think its the transformer or the tubes... Gonna take it to an amp tech to see how it goes
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

Soubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of light
you killed it
this is why I like solid state
you blew something up, transformer,fuse, or capacitor
or you just flat out murdered it and somehow didn't cause a 150 mile explosion that turns sand into glass and give off radiation to the entire world.
but I would check those 3 things if you don't suspect the tubes.

check out my band AORTIC:
http://www.facebook.com/Aortic
Soubi7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

viesczy is a jewel in the rough
I was hoping it was going to be fuse/cable problem. I hope it isn't a transformer problem, and just a smack it one problem. I have this old Triumph 60 that often needed a crack to knock of an annoying reverb unit hum, like the springs would make the housing hum.

Now of course that old boy, is having problems, tubes turn on, no lights showing life on the amp/footswitch but the crunch channel produces sounds. If it wasn't 20+ years old I'd pay to get it fixed. Okay, it is nearly as heavy as my XXX 2x12, that's the other reason as I don't feel like lugging it to a tech.

I hope your JSX fix is a cheap one!

Derek
viesczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

matty2fatty is just really nice
I actually have to smack mine all the time. There must be something loose inside but I'm too lazy/unknowledgable to take it apart and fix it

I'd have to say shredding is more than just soloing... Its taking that axe and making it your bitch - Sniper Johnny
matty2fatty is offline   Reply With Quote