homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Got T.I.N.G?

Hallic is just really niceHallic is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
String King of tightness

Hey

I was just wondering what string brand is the absolute king when it comes to string tension(which have the most tension)?

Because i got a .062(daddrios) on my 7s to B and and its about 19.8 lbs. its playable, but i was just wondering if i could get some more tension with another brand/type of string. I actually like a .060 because of the size, but not so much the tension of it

I searched the forums but that didn't anwser my question I did hear that maybe some coated types have xtra tension as long as the coating is on it?(true?). Also it would help if the brand offers singles or the string sets are normal balanced(by normal i mean gradually increasing tension from 1th string to 7th).

O, and don't say Ernie ball(silkies), because that would be lying

thanks in advance
Hallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
DR's always feel a tad tighter to me than regular D'Addarios.

D'Addarios Chromes are tighter than most strings, but they tend to put more wear on frets.

Also, someone posted a thread here about strings with heavy cores, which would result in higher tension.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Cleartone makes some .65s that might fit your needs better.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Whatever you do DON'T buy Ernie balls.

Below is a photo with a .074 EB and a .066 D'Addario. The EB has a floppy mess on my RG8. I had the dad lying around and thought id try for funzies. BOOM massive difference in floppiness.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
The White-Knuckler

Philligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Doesn't Dunlop have a new line out that's supposed to have a thicker core for more tension? One sec.

Here we go:
Introducing Heavy Core Strings | Dunlop Blog
Buy Dunlop Heavy Core Electric Guitar Strings 10-48 | .010 Gauge | Musician's Friend
Dunlop

You could throw a .010 on top and then do a .012-.054 going down. Not sure if it'll be tight enough, but since you mentioned you like the feel of thinner strings, it could be worth a try. I'm curious about these myself.

My Flickr.

"it blowed the emg's in the dirt" - De Vries

"Richlite is to Paper Mache as Carbon Composite is to charcoal briquettes." - Max
Philligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin666 View Post
Cleartone makes some .65s that might fit your needs better.
actualy was hoping not to go thicker than .060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philligan View Post
Doesn't Dunlop have a new line out that's supposed to have a thicker core for more tension? One sec.

Here we go:
Introducing Heavy Core Strings | Dunlop Blog
Buy Dunlop Heavy Core Electric Guitar Strings 10-48 | .010 Gauge | Musician's Friend
Dunlop

You could throw a .010 on top and then do a .012-.054 going down. Not sure if it'll be tight enough, but since you mentioned you like the feel of thinner strings, it could be worth a try. I'm curious about these myself.
In theory the should have more tenssion than a same gauged string of daddrio's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
DR's always feel a tad tighter to me than regular D'Addarios.

D'Addarios Chromes are tighter than most strings, but they tend to put more wear on frets.

Also, someone posted a thread here about strings with heavy cores, which would result in higher tension.
just checked their site. they even have drop-down tunning(DDT) strings. want to get my hand on that 60 they are using there

XX-Heavy DDT-12 12 16 20 38 52 60
(they also have a 013 to 65)
not quite sure about their gauge size choices there in the set 52 is a bit much.
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Got T.I.N.G?

anyone any comment on the coated versions of strings?
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I tried elixer nano coated one time a few years ago. I remember them being pretty tight for 9s as I had used 10s before that and they held up pretty well. I've also read that they're supposed to be a little higher in tension per guage =P

Although I'm really thinking of trying those Dunlop Heavy Core strings now! Used to use DR, now daddario but thinkin of switchin to the Dunlops

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, BC Rich Jr V Icon, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookieslayer View Post
I tried elixer nano coated one time a few years ago. I remember them being pretty tight for 9s as I had used 10s before that and they held up pretty well. I've also read that they're supposed to be a little higher in tension per guage =P

Although I'm really thinking of trying those Dunlop Heavy Core strings now! Used to use DR, now daddario but thinkin of switchin to the Dunlops
from their site:

DHCN1048 10 HEAVY 10 13 17 28 38 48
DHCN1150 11 HEAVIER 11 14 18 28 38 50
DHCN1254 12 HEAVIEST 12 16 20 32 42 54

I think - for example - their 54 will have more tension than a regular 54 daddrio's, but i think its unlikely that it will have more tension than a daddrio 56(maybe almost 55 daddrios i would say). Unfortunately there's no 60/61/62 or something for me.
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
I use a 65 elixir nanoweb bass string for C, feels pretty good in B too.
You could probably get by using the 60 gauge of elixir nanoweb bass, but I'm a tension whore for my lower strings, since I smash the shit out of them when I riff.

All the elixir strings I've tried are noticeably tighter than an equal gauge of Ernies.
It's not a super huge difference but people who use Ernie 10's tend to like Elixir 9's.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
DELETED DOUBLEPOST

Unread 10-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

blackrobedone is a jewel in the rough
Dunlop heavy core strings feel much tighter than strings of the same gauge. I'm not sure how thick they come though, but from E to E you should be set.
blackrobedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrobedone View Post
Dunlop heavy core strings feel much tighter than strings of the same gauge. I'm not sure how thick they come though, but from E to E you should be set.
no .060s
Unread 10-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrobedone View Post

Just ordered 12-54 Dunlop Heavy Core! I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, BC Rich Jr V Icon, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Tonight.......you

newamerikangospel has much to be proud ofnewamerikangospel has much to be proud ofnewamerikangospel has much to be proud ofnewamerikangospel has much to be proud ofnewamerikangospel has much to be proud ofnewamerikangospel has much to be proud of
I buy ernie balls since they are the only company I know of that specifically sales singles to their vendors. I loved the way Dean Markley 11-52s felt when I played 6 string, but their 7 string stuff didn't have a good 7th string tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
Whatever you do DON'T buy Ernie balls.

Below is a photo with a .074 EB and a .066 D'Addario. The EB has a floppy mess on my RG8. I had the dad lying around and thought id try for funzies. BOOM massive difference in floppiness.

I dont understand what this statement is trying to make. The original poster isn't tuning to F# or lower, so he wouldn't need to worry about core strength on the string in this comparison. A .074 tuned to B with EB would be around 28 lbs (rough estimation). I like the smaller cores, and the feel they have when I do string bends. Its all preference.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.....

My band, "A Swan Song For Ravens"
newamerikangospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Banned

paintkilz is a jewel in the rough
hes showing how cores differ from company to company and how they relate to the string.

obviously one could say that the EB sucks way hard seeing as how it seems to be floppier than a senior citizen at a wet t shirt contest even when its a .74 and the Daddario is a .66

i should look into some heavier cores. i play dad XL 10-59, 74/80 on a 28.6" scale and think its still floppy.
paintkilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Army Without A Flag

Then there's Gary Goodman, you can ask him to make you strings with MASSIVE cores that are really tight for their size. You can get a 118 for 25.5" scale guitars that will tune to a bass low B, and a 98 for bass E.

Unread 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newamerikangospel View Post
I buy ernie balls since they are the only company I know of that specifically sales singles to their vendors. I loved the way Dean Markley 11-52s felt when I played 6 string, but their 7 string stuff didn't have a good 7th string tension.

I dont understand what this statement is trying to make. The original poster isn't tuning to F# or lower, so he wouldn't need to worry about core strength on the string in this comparison. A .074 tuned to B with EB would be around 28 lbs (rough estimation). I like the smaller cores, and the feel they have when I do string bends. Its all preference.
i do care about core strength. Even the .062 daddrio's im using tuned to A# or B still doesn't feel tight enough. But my preference gauge size is a .060 but in relation to my other string. the tension is still a problem, i even got a 26,5 scale guitar now.
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Ľour_Bass View Post
Then there's Gary Goodman, you can ask him to make you strings with MASSIVE cores that are really tight for their size. You can get a 118 for 25.5" scale guitars that will tune to a bass low B, and a 98 for bass E.
can you give me more information about this? when googling i get a magician or something
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Teh Groove Metuhl

Taylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to all
Honestly dude, you wont get THAT big of a difference between string companies.
I've tried all of the more common guys, and there isn't that big of a difference.

You're either going to have to go heavier, or get a longer scale guitar.

TG Audio

Good rates, good returns.
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #21
Got T.I.N.G?

it not like im hoping for a 10 lbs of extra tension. Actually just about 1lb would make me more pleased. this is very plaussible to achieve by a different string brand/material.
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #22
Army Without A Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallic View Post
can you give me more information about this? when googling i get a magician or something
octave4plus.com