homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

View Poll Results: What should go in front of a Carvin TS100 going through an Avatar 2x12?
Axe Fx 16 94.12%
11 Rack 0 0%
Vox Tonelab 0 0%
Theres something better out there! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

GreenTheLight is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Amp Modeling Options? Rig versatility - Now With Less Caps

Ive looked at everything I can think of:

Axe FX
11 Rack
VOX tonelab
Line 6 Spidervalve
Peavy VYPYR
Line 6 POD

.......and im sure im missing a few lol

Basically im looking for a versatile amp model to run through a Carvin V300 power amp into an Avatar 2x12. I really love the tones of Fender Twin, Mesa Boogie, Peavy 6505 and im looking at something that can replicate a handful of models such as these WELL.

Bottom line:

Is the 11rack going to satisfy my tone hunger?, or should i pinch pennies for an Axe FX? OR is there anything else out there thats even worth looking at between these contendors? Im mostly interested in AMP MODELING as opposed to effects options. Ive demo'ed the spider valve 3 and it was BADASS, but the combo is ONLY 40 WATTS? -Lame sauce.
Ive also used the tonelab petal in some of my bands recordings and they seem to work well, should i wait and get the new tonelab petal?
GreenTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
The Eleven rack is a bit lacking in the high gain areas. You may also want to consider a Digitech GSP1101. I had one along with my Axe-FX. It'll get you some pretty good tones.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A-FX
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
There's not even a real debate.

You've got the cash: axe FX
You have moderate cash: GSP
You don't have cash or have cash but are an EQ god that want to save money: Pod.

The market is quite segmented, and the digidesign box has yet to show a single high gain metal sound that is satisfying. Most you can get out of it is unboosted JCM 800 type rythm tones. It's VERY good mind you, but not really there for metal. (although this forum isn't about metal per se, well, 99% of the pop here plays metal ^^ )

Note that a new pod is going out soon and it might be worth waiting if you are in the "wanna spend 600$" bracket.

Never heard or played a tonelab so I'll pass on this one.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

jaco815 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
Never heard or played a tonelab so I'll pass on this one.
I am a good friend of the starter of this thread (Austin) and we have recorded with my Tonelab ST and it sounds phenomenal. I have it sitting right here next to me. 32 amp models plus a DI preamp. All of the models are incredible but the High Gains are a little noisy.

This was done with the Tonelab with me doing production and my buddy Austin (GreenTheLight) on guitar:

VOX will hopefully have a new awesome pedal coming out in the next few months since they ceased production on the Tonelab LE. The next one will hopefully have as many models as the ST plus greater versatility and effects. Reamping through USB would be nice too

I think the High Gain Mesa sounds on the 11R are phenomenal as proven by this here vidya:

I am skeptical about anything from Digitech just cuz I have this unfounded prejudice against them for no particular reason. I just checked out some demos of the GSP and it sounds good.

How does the GSP1101 compare to the Axefx or 11R in terms of feel and realism? From what I can tell, the 11R behaves just like a real amp. Does the GSP do this as well?
jaco815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTheLight View Post
Ive demo'ed the spider valve 3 and it was BADASS, but the combo is ONLY 40 WATTS? -Lame sauce.
Ive also used the tonelab petal in some of my bands recordings and they seem to work well, should i wait and get the new tonelab petal?

Hey man, think you meant "Spider Valve MKII" and "Tonelab Pedal"

Yeah that Spider Valve was the shit but the jumpy volume knob was a rare bitch.
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I don't see the point of that video. It only tests the 11R preamp ability, and that's pretty much the easiest thing to get. "Oh yeah if the 11R only did the road king I'd buy it", right, and you'd be left without a power amp.

Proper tests are recorded tones using the 11R own sims compared with a miked amp.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I don't see the point of that video. It only tests the 11R preamp ability, and that's pretty much the easiest thing to get. "Oh yeah if the 11R only did the road king I'd buy it", right, and you'd be left without a power amp.

Proper tests are recorded tones using the 11R own sims compared with a miked amp.
He's only testing the preamps here. That's the intent. Cab sims can eat a dick compared to the real thing. I like to record with them because I don't have mics and shit, or a studio, or cabs, but live, it would be great to have a cab and a poweramp. If someone just buys the 11r and thinks it will fully compare they are wrong.

I don't think that comparing this roadking with his mills cab mic'd up vs the 11R cab sims would be fair in any way. He would need to be recording in the same damn studio where the cab sims were created, with the road king into the same cab, with the same mic for it be fair. That would be impossible.

Sorry you didn't get it. All this video proves is that the 11R preamp is as responsive as that of the real deal when ran into the same cab and poweramp.
Unread 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
To be honest, I love Vox's modelling amps, but I hated my Tonelab ST. I've had the DA5, DA10, a AD50VT-XL and played through at VT30 pretty extensively. The amps all respond wonderfully and they just keep getting better. Initially, the high-gain models of their's I did not like too much, really only using HiGain 1 on the DA's and Modern on the 50VT-XL. However, if my new Mini3 is anything to go by, the new VT+ line will be a force to be reckoned with. The 10 models in the Mini 3 all kickass and while I'd prefer the original effects from the DA and VT series, the tones are definitely improved.

That being said, I dig the GSP, but it doesn't have the same feel as the Vox amps, which feel just like a tube amp to me in terms of responsiveness. The Vox amps won't work quite so well running into a poweramp since the 12AX7 is actually used for poweramp modelling, not as a preamp tube as one would expect, so I think it would mess with the responsiveness having a separate power amp. This might have been why I didn't like the Tonelab ST running into any of my amps.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
There's not even a real debate.

You've got the cash: axe FX
You have moderate cash: GSP
You don't have cash or have cash but are an EQ god that want to save money: Pod.
I gotta say, even getting a good tone out of my axe fx was pretty rigorous as far as eq
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Why are valve preamps taking a dive in popularity? I still think the Triaxis is a cool ass preamp, and the Quad.

And the Recto recording pre for that matter. They obviously don't come with effects, but team a triaxis with a G-Force or even a G Major 2 and you have mega tone.

Then again, I'm not really in the Axe-Fx boat, lol.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote