homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Josh Geohagan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where can I find a Madison Prophecy head?

I just read that the company was over, and the only result that I saw on Ebay was gone the day before I decided to bid on it.

Does anyone know if there is one for sale anywhere?
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
You're gonna have a hard time finding one. I don't remember those being made as much as the Divinity. I think I've only ever seen one pop up for sale on a forum before.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Yeah. I saw one on Ebay a few days ago, and after some research, I was going to go online and place my bid, only to find that the seller took it off. There weren't any previous bids on it, and it had 2 days left before it expired.

The only other that I have seen for sale was a craigslist ad, but that expired quite a while ago.
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Madison Prophecy 2 100 HFX Guitar Amp Head [amp-mad-proph] - $499.00 : The Vintage Sound, Your source for vintage tube amplifier and guitar parts!

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
See that big ol' red dot that says "Sold Out"?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

It's sold out, I already checked the site. But thanks anyways.

After I visited the Madison site and saw the goodbye message, I tried sending him an email, but I guess that account is no longer active, so I couldn't do anything with that.

I hate being indecisive. I saw one for like 350 on Ebay just a week ago, and the day I decided to buy it, it just disappears.
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
See that big ol' red dot that says "Sold Out"?
LOL. The red dot was pretty small on my phone. Totally didn't think to zoom in on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Geohagan View Post
It's sold out, I already checked the site. But thanks anyways.

After I visited the Madison site and saw the goodbye message, I tried sending him an email, but I guess that account is no longer active, so I couldn't do anything with that.

I hate being indecisive. I saw one for like 350 on Ebay just a week ago, and the day I decided to buy it, it just disappears.
Any reason you were set on a Prophecy? The Divinity heads were actually pretty decent. Very good clarity.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin666 View Post
LOL. The red dot was pretty small on my phone. Totally didn't think to zoom in on it.

Any reason you were set on a Prophecy? The Divinity heads were actually pretty decent. Very good clarity.
I don't need a 100W tube head. I'm 17 and going to school, and not even playing shows at the moment, and when I did, 100 watts of SS would be plenty. It also helps that it goes for around 400 now.

And for some reason I've always preferred the tightness that you could get with SS amps. I don't necessarily think that they are better, just more suited for what I've doing at the moment.

I have a Carvin V3 combo at the moment, and trying to haul that around to practice and back is a major pain in the ass, and it's really fizzy unless I get it loud, and having it set on half power, I still haven't gone even halfway on the master volume.
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Look for an Ampeg VH140. They're some great old SS amps.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Look for an Ampeg VH140. They're some great old SS amps.
Are there any other great SS amps that you would recommend that I look out for? I'm looking for something pretty similar to the Prophecy if I can't find it.
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Are there any other great SS amps that you would recommend that I look out for? I'm looking for something pretty similar to the Prophecy if I can't find it.
Crate GT3500 and Randall RG200s.
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've never played a Prophecy but including the aforementioned VH140, there's the Crate GT3500, and Marshall Valvestate 8200. Those are all known for being great sounding SS heads.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

dantel666 will become famous soon enough
Randall SS amps are pretty good. I have a Randall SS combo and it sounds really good.
Unread 09-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

What Randall SS amps would you recommend? Thank you so far for all of your responses.
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

maximummetal288 is just really nicemaximummetal288 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I would recommend the Marshall 8100 or the 8200. I've had an 8100 for about 5 years now and its a great amp for the price... hell its a great amp period! If you wanna hear one listen to Symbolic by Death or some old Meshuggah live videos.
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Peavey XXL and Crate G-130 are my fav SS amps. The Crate is the same distortion circuitry as the Ampeg VH-140, and the clean is a clone of a Roland Jazz Chorus.
Unread 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
ss.org Regular

Randall seems to be known for making good SS amps, but almost everything I read talks about getting a good 'Dimebag tone,' and I'm not exactly sure if that is a good thing or not.

I guess what I am trying to hint at is, are the Randall amps limited to basically Pantera-like tones?
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

jllozano has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Try the madison divinity II with a 12AT7 in V1 and JJ E34L's in the power section ....tight as can be, easily beats any solidstate in volume and also you gain the dynamic touch "sensitiveness" of tubes

For solid state try Peavey XXL, bandit(i cut the combo into a head, one of my all time favorite amps), supreme ...Ampegs and Randalls as said before also work great
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jllozano View Post
Try the madison divinity II with a 12AT7 in V1 and JJ E34L's in the power section ....tight as can be, easily beats any solidstate in volume and also you gain the dynamic touch "sensitiveness" of tubes

For solid state try Peavey XXL, bandit(i cut the combo into a head, one of my all time favorite amps), supreme ...Ampegs and Randalls as said before also work great
That's the thing, I don't need massive amounts of volume. Even at stage level, 100W of SS is enough.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about the XXL, and the only thing I can find about Randalls is that primarily Pantera fans rave about them.

Nothing against Dimebag, but I'm not a huge fan of his tone.
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Randalls are good for a lot more than Dimebag tones. Check out an RH150G3 Plus if you can. I had one for awhile and I LOVED it. It was really just a damn good sounding amp.
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #21
Pardon my french

Andromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud of
Marshall 8100 heads can be had for pretty cheap, even if they're old SS stuff usually ages better than tube stuff when people have just kept them in storage for 10 years. The good point is, there was an enormous number of them manufactured so finding one isn't very hard. Contrary to the Ampeg heads (still haven't seen one for real) for exemple.
there also was a SS preamp and power amp series from Marshall back then, poweramp is labeled 8004, don't remember the number of the preamp (9004? ) . They can be bought for dirt cheap too.
Unread 09-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

What is the general consensus on the Crate Shockwave GT3500H?

I've never been a huge Crate fan, but it seems pretty decent from what I have read, and there's one on Ebay at the moment.
Unread 09-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
What is the general consensus on the Crate Shockwave G3500H?

I've never been a huge Crate fan, but it seems pretty decent from what I have read, and there's one on Ebay at the moment.
Obviously very loud and a great platform for grind or death metal. Scott Hull used the Ampeg version from before that division became crate.

Quote:
Lee Jackson designed the VL line of guitar amplifiers for Ampeg in the late 1980s, early 1990s. They were available in both 50W and 100W heads and a 50W 2x12 combo
That series was the precursor to the shockwave.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

Unread 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

avenger is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well since I own and play through my ampeg VH-140 head daily I can definitly say for what I paid and being an SS head it kicks ass and can be loud when it needs to be.

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

snowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
What Randall SS amps would you recommend? Thank you so far for all of your responses.
I used to have a 300 Watt Randall Cyclone that flat out wailed. Mine was a piece of crap with "issues", but I would love to find another one.
Closed Thread