homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Adil-2552 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Axe Fx...which poweramp?

Hi guys,
Decided to purchase an Axe Fx Ultra. I've matured a lot as a player this past year, and now need a versatile tool like the Axe to help facilitate all my new ideas.
Now, which poweramp should I buy? I won't be using the poweramp or cab sims in the axe. I want a high quality tube poweramp.
VHT/Fryette seems to be popular amongst Axe Fx users.
I can't decide between the 2/50/2 and the 2/90/2.
Wattage doesn't concern me, it's the tone/character of the amp that matters.
One uses EL34s, the other KT88s. I play everything from blues, to the most brutal metal. Will the 2/50/2 be sufficient for metal? Will it provide a decent low end?
Adil-2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

cradleofflames is a jewel in the rough
The 2/50/2 will do metal. A better question is do you like the midrange response of EL34s?

Do you want the amp to sag a little or do you want it to be stiff, clear, and ultra fast? A VHT or Rivera will be the latter, a Mesa like a 295, 395, or Strategy 500 will sag a bit while the 50:50, 2:50, 2:90, 2:100, and Colliseum 300 will not.

Get a solid-state power amp and learn to use the power amp emulations and you can decide what power tubes and sag characteristics you want on a per patch basis.
cradleofflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

jbcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightjbcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightjbcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adil-2552 View Post
Hi guys,
Decided to purchase an Axe Fx Ultra. I've matured a lot as a player this past year, and now need a versatile tool like the Axe to help facilitate all my new ideas.
Now, which poweramp should I buy? I won't be using the poweramp or cab sims in the axe. I want a high quality tube poweramp.
VHT/Fryette seems to be popular amongst Axe Fx users.
I can't decide between the 2/50/2 and the 2/90/2.
Wattage doesn't concern me, it's the tone/character of the amp that matters.
One uses EL34s, the other KT88s. I play everything from blues, to the most brutal metal. Will the 2/50/2 be sufficient for metal? Will it provide a decent low end?
2/90/2. The thing just thumps but has very very little coloration. Both poweramps have little coloration but KT88s have even less coloration and thump more.

For me, though any tube poweramp you run the Axe through colors what its trying to do even the VHTs. I run it FRFR... and will never go back.
jbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Mesa 2:90 or 20:20 (or the Marshall 20/20) are my favorite poweramps, depending on whether or not you want to drive the power tubes hard or not.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Atomic MB-50. It has tubes AND lets you use the power amp sims
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
...and it's not rackable.
I'd buy one, say, NOW if it was a 1u power amp instead of a blocky box.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Just quit being lazy and carry an extra peice . Its only 15 lbs
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
...and it's not rackable.
I'd buy one, say, NOW if it was a 1u power amp instead of a blocky box.
i hear, on here or maybe elsewhere, that they are thinking of making the atomic power amp into a rack unit, which would be sick, me thinks they should put a depth control on it too though, and 100 watts would be nice, but not necessary

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Banned

Ola Englund is just really niceOla Englund is just really nice
The idea of the axe fx is to be able to control the signal as a whole out to the speaker. If you buy a guitar power amp sure you will get a great sound but if you get a full range PA such as qsc, Carvin or even a powered speaker such as the ones Mackie has it will be alot easier dialing in the perfect tone. The guitar power amp puts its colour on the sound and you have to crank the shit out of it to make the tubes sing.

You will probably be really happy with one of those VHT power amps but part of the axe fx has the power amp simulation with a lot of good editing possibilities that will work so much better with a clean full range power amp.

I can play at almost zero volume at home with my rig but I can make the axe sound like a amp with a master volume pushed to eleven!

Btw I'm using a QSC plx1602 power amp. Good luck!

EDIT: didn't read your post to well. Now I saw you clearly wanted a high quality tube amp. But maybe my response can make you at least try out some other power amps.
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I'm really loving my 2/90/2s right now. There is some minor coloration to the tone, but it think it helps in every way. I have yet to come to a point where I was unable to dial in a specific tone with the poweramp/cab combination. There are so many tools in the Axe-FX for shaping tone. It's just a matter of learning how to use everything correctly. I think the Fryette 2/90/2 is the icing on the cake though. It just makes everything sound huge.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund View Post
Can't speak for others, but in my case, the goal is not to have to carry a cab at all. Hence the need for a power amp, and if possible a rack one. Granted the power amp colors the sound, but that's not really a problem if it colors the sound the way you want it. (ie, using a mesa power amp with a recto setting in the axe)
I don't see myself lugging a wedge every time to the practice place and back home.
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
the goal is not to have to carry a cab at all. Hence the need for a power amp
If you aren't using a cab, then you don't need a poweramp. It sounds like you want to go direct into the PA, which is exactly what the Axe-FX does on its own.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 07-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Pardon my french

I am using a cab, just the cab that is at the rehearsal place, which doesn't have a PA worth using. ^^
I'm using a 20/20 with my axe for now because that's what I already have and it fits nicely with the axe and a power distributor in a 4U rack.
Plugged into the sound card at home without using the power amp, plugged into the cab at the rehearsal place using the power amp.
I of course could buy a wedge and lug it back and forth but I'd rather avoid it, especially since it would require the small thing of shelling more money, which I can't really do at the moment. ^^
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
s l e l f

biggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcrazy View Post
2/90/2. The thing just thumps but has very very little coloration. Both poweramps have little coloration but KT88s have even less coloration and thump more.

For me, though any tube poweramp you run the Axe through colors what its trying to do even the VHTs. I run it FRFR... and will never go back.
Let's get some of those patches, mang.

| Axe-Fx Ultra > Fryette 2/90/2 > Mesa Recto 4x12 |
-------------Various Ibanez Shredders-------------
My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not...
biggness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Deadite

Trust me...the 2/90/2 and 2/50/2 require being "lugged" around. They both weigh a ....in ton. You'd be looking at around $750 used for a 2/90/2 and $1000 for a 2/90/2. The atomic power amp is 15 lbs and $499 new.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page