homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Gunslinger is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What preamp, power tubes do I use for metal tone in my Peavey Triple XXX head?

What are some of the best tubes to have a metal tone?

I like a tone similar to a 5150, something with balls and great lows clearer mids for my basson b412 cab's "ripping" sound.

I play heavy tech metal with a Peavey Triple XXX head, Agile 8 string, Ibanez tubescreamer ts9dx, Boss Ns2 noise gate, Boss 10 band eq pedal, BBE sonic maximizer (hardly even turned up at all).

Also I need that advice in respect to my Peavey Triple XXX head.
I have 4 6L6GC power tubes in the amp.

The amp specs are...
Four 6L6GCs and four 12AX7s
Power amp switchable to use EL34s or 6L6GCs

1) Should I buy 4 12AX7A preamp tubes
2) Should I switch my 6L6GC power tubes for the EL34 tubes?
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Talk to the folks over at Eurotubes, they know their shit when it comes to amps and tubes. I believe they have a number of great options for Peaveys.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
ss.org Regular

thanks,
I have no preamp tubes in the head, but used a thing called a "volume mizer" or "suck knob" and my tone sounded amazing....

At euro tubes, they said that the

" The suck knob simply allows you to lower the signal from the front end, or preamp section of your amp that feeds the back end, or power section of your amp. It does NOT let you get power tube distortion at lower volumes, so the sound you get is all front end distortion and no power tube distortion, I repeat NO power tube distortion! So if you want power tube distortion at lower volumes, then only an attenuator will do this. However, if you simply want more preamp tube distortion at lower volumes then by all means, go for the "suck Knob", then you too can suck!

1) How would this be if I only have power tubes in the amp and used the volume mizer?

2) is it or is it not recommended to use the volume mizer if i bought preamp tubes?
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Huh? You're running your XXX without pre-amp tubes? It shouldn't even be functioning, as it's a tube amp.

I'm confused.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Now available in HD

meisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to all
I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Buy power tubes. Buy preamp tubes. Install said tubes. Play.
meisterjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #6

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I call BS on not having preamp tubes in the amp. Even if it could work, plugging into the effects return, with no phase inverter the power section shouldn't function at all.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Inazone is just really niceInazone is just really nice
I'm confused about what you're currently doing, but as far as tubes are concerned, I would suggest EL34s if you're playing an 8-string into this amp. I like 6L6s for standard tuning on 6-string guitars, but it seems to me that the pronounced mids I've heard from most 6L6-equipped amps would get pretty muddy with what you're using. I've used just about every brand of readily available power tubes, and have had good results with Ruby and Sovtek. Groove Tubes are overpriced.

Inazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

wow, I definetly have 3 1AX&A2 preamp tubes when my amp can do 4.

anyone else have opinions on EL34's giving a more metal tone?
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

Forced Chaos will become famous soon enough
I had the 3120 which is the same amp basically and mine came stock with EL34's. It had more of a thrashy tone to it and alot of people like the amp with these tubes. I ended up swapped them out for 6L6's which made it more modern sounding. I liked the way the amp sounded better in this configuration for the type of music that we play which is drop B metal.

Another way to go is with KT77's and I'm suprised that nobody has chimed in about this yet. EL34 flavor with a better bottom end.
Forced Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

boltzthrower has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
a more metal tone
I think you need to be more specific here ^.

Check out these reviews: 6L6 / 5881 / KT66 Tube Type Reviews

I prefer the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's, because they're fairly clear (less coloration) compared to most other 6L6's.
boltzthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Um, pre/power tubes are not going to make your amp more "metal." They will tweak the sound slightly (using a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1 often increases the available gain of the amp) but they will not dramatically change the tone you're getting.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
9V inside

Key_Maker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzthrower View Post
I think you need to be more specific here ^.

Check out these reviews: 6L6 / 5881 / KT66 Tube Type Reviews

I prefer the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's, because they're fairly clear (less coloration) compared to most other 6L6's.
... And they have some mushy bottom end, i ended swaping them in my 6505+ for some JJ and they are a little bit darker but tighter and opener than the old ruby's. Although its a mather of taste, i preffer JJ.

You should also try some JJ or Tung-Sol in the preamp section, those are nice too.

EARTHQUAKE!
Key_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote