homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

warlock7strEMG is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jet City JCA100 head with KT88's!!!!(YT vid)

apparently these amps can use KT88s without being modded at all, only need to be rebiased.

pretty cool video with great audio. doesnt really show the amp doin anything brutal, but does get fairly heavy. has a really nice warm tone too, seems to have a nice thickness in the lower mids. i can tell that this amp with the right settings and right guitar/pickups is definitely capable of some good metal tones. id like to hear it with a 7 string.

i really liked the fact that the guy in the video showed what the amp sounded like with and without the overdrive pedal/pedals everytime he changed the amp settings.
warlock7strEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

ty man, now i know how to do that haha!!!
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

slayerrulesyo is a jewel in the rough
Gain on 4 is sounding pretty heavy, with the OD in the mix it definitely can do metal!
slayerrulesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've been looking into these heads a lot, I really want to give one a go.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerrulesyo View Post
Gain on 4 is sounding pretty heavy, with the OD in the mix it definitely can do metal!
oh i agree completely. the gain on 4 with the OD is definitely all i need for playin any kinda metal!! enough gain to saturate but still stay clear. i think i want this amp!!! its like my KT88 dream come true at less than $800
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice review - thanks for sharing that!

(Sounds GREAT! Would like to slam a nice MXR EQ in the loop and see what might be seen...)

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
Sounds kinda bad if you compare it to his other clips, even the old clips when he had worse micing.

But never say never I guess, it's just soundclips, but this is my feeling of what I've heard so far.

Probably worth the money if you're after a rock amp. But if you're going to play metal, the 5150 still rules in that price-range IMO. It would be fun to hear a A/B between this amp and another KT88 amps like the Marshall Kerry King Signature and the Fryette Deliverance since they aren't much more expensive.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefingersweep View Post
Probably worth the money if you're after a rock amp. But if you're going to play metal, the 5150 still rules in that price-range IMO. It would be fun to hear a A/B between this amp and another KT88 amps like the Marshall Kerry King Signature and the Fryette Deliverance since they aren't much more expensive.
Both of those amps are over twice as much as the JCA100. The 6505 is close, but still $300 more.

I know the amp that the JCA100 is based on, the SLO100 can do metal, so I have high hopes for the JCA. I just haven't have the opportunity to give the JCA100 a spin. I love the SLO100, just not it's over $3500 price tag.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Both of those amps are over twice as much as the JCA100. The 6505 is close, but still $300 more.

I know the amp that the JCA100 is based on, the SLO100 can do metal, so I have high hopes for the JCA. I just haven't have the opportunity to give the JCA100 a spin. I love the SLO100, just not it's over $3500 price tag.
KK sig is not even close to twice the price over here in EU (UK to be exact) it's the same. You can easily snatch a used Deliverance for under 1000 and a 5150 (NOT a 6505!!!) for the same as a JCA100. IMO the amp doesn't sound good, it's sounds okay for the crunch but the rest sucks, but as I said it's just soundclips. Not saying it's a bad amp. I have to test it myself to be sure, but as it looks now I'd rather look for a 5150, KK or a used Deliverance.

Not saying it can't do metal either, just saying there's much better options. The 5150 is also basically a version of the SLO100 and it sure sounds better than most amps for metal even if the price is three times lower than the boutique stuff.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's a good thing taste is totally subjective, as are sound clips

Found the KKsig head 669 locally, the Jet City 639 from Thomann...and indeed, a 5150 for 600.....all good prices so it's easy to make a fairly objective choice on that basis at least ^^

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefingersweep View Post
KK sig is not even close to twice the price over here in EU (UK to be exact) it's the same. You can easily snatch a used Deliverance for under 1000 and a 5150 (NOT a 6505!!!) for the same as a JCA100. IMO the amp doesn't sound good, it's sounds okay for the crunch but the rest sucks, but as I said it's just soundclips. Not saying it's a bad amp. I have to test it myself to be sure, but as it looks now I'd rather look for a 5150, KK or a used Deliverance.

Not saying it can't do metal either, just saying there's much better options. The 5150 is also basically a version of the SLO100 and it sure sounds better than most amps for metal even if the price is three times lower than the boutique stuff.
Sorry, wasn't aware "SE" meant the UK. Over here in the US KK Sig heads are $1700, and I don't often see them used, the few I have were around $1000. As for the Deliverence they show up occasionally used for around $1000, but are still $1500 new. As for the Peavey, I thought we were talking about new gear. Over here the JCA100 is $700 new on average, and can be had for $600 new.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Stupid, apparently

The Echthros is a jewel in the rough
Seems to have plenty of gain to me! But I think the tone and feel of the amp is more suited for rock and some classic metal, but it can definately do modern metal...it's just not going to sag and compress like modern amps. If you wanted that though, you'd be looking at a mesa or peavey. If you want something less compressed and with alot of attack, this is the ticket. I personally love it and can see myself picking one up for the more rock/hard rock stuff
The Echthros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Sorry, wasn't aware "SE" meant the UK.
It doesn't. It's short for Sweden.

In the EU (which UK is a part of aswell as Sweden) the Marshall KK cost exactly the same as the JetCity and a 5150 is not possible to buy new, it's discontinued as you might know. They go for the same or less as the JetCity. A used Delivereance goes for 1000 or less (USD, GBP and Euro) so I would definitely save 200-300 and get a Deliverance 60 instead.

They should drop the price a couple of hundred bucks. A price around 500 would be more correct IMO. For 500 new it would have been worth it even for me.