homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

6Christ6Denied6 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Trying to get an "in flames" sounding tone.

i absolutely love their tone, i am getting close with my 6505+ but just i cant get it right. i tune in A# just like they do,

does anybody know how they EQ?
6Christ6Denied6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

shogunate is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hmmm A couple thoughts cross my mind if you're having trouble getting In Flames tone with that amp.
-They use original 5150s, which are single EQ unlike the 6505+ you've got. I may have it flipflopped, but I believe the regular 5150/6505 have more lower mids while the plus has more high mids someone kick me if I have that backwards.
-Make sure you've got EMGs in there
-Probably trivial, but they usually use les pauls and gibson guitars with a short scale, and consequently have to use something akin to powerlines for strings. That thickness of string gives a different kind of attack than regular strings on a longer scale tuned that low.
-Could be totally off my rocker here, but I remember reading some obscure article alluding that they may swap the stock power tubes (6l6s), not sure what for, but that may be a part of it as well.

Well, that's my That amp is the basis of their tone, kind of like LOG and their mark IVs, so you shouldn't be too far off, those are the possible variables that came into my mind

Maybe it's a promotional gag, you stay the weekend, get a jar of blood
shogunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Necky379 is just really niceNecky379 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
jesper used the 6505+ bjorn uses the 6505. which albums are you talking about? their tone has changed quite a bit from "lunar strain" to "sense of purpose".

Necky379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
In Flames from what era?
The production from say, The Jester Race to Clayman, is very very different and consequently the guitar tones are not that similar.
While musically I like their older stuff better, stuff like Clayman has a much more meater, more mid range heavy guitar tone I prefer.
Is that what you're looking for?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunate View Post
Hmmm A couple thoughts cross my mind if you're having trouble getting In Flames tone with that amp.
-They use original 5150s, which are single EQ unlike the 6505+ you've got. I may have it flipflopped, but I believe the regular 5150/6505 have more lower mids while the plus has more high mids someone kick me if I have that backwards.
-Make sure you've got EMGs in there
-Probably trivial, but they usually use les pauls and gibson guitars with a short scale, and consequently have to use something akin to powerlines for strings. That thickness of string gives a different kind of attack than regular strings on a longer scale tuned that low.
-Could be totally off my rocker here, but I remember reading some obscure article alluding that they may swap the stock power tubes (6l6s), not sure what for, but that may be a part of it as well.

Well, that's my That amp is the basis of their tone, kind of like LOG and their mark IVs, so you shouldn't be too far off, those are the possible variables that came into my mind

i am using emgs as well, also they use 13-68 strings, well bjorn does at least. i am using 12-62 so im not that far off. my tones is close... just not spot on, but im not expecting to get it exactly just as close as i can.
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necky379 View Post
jesper used the 6505+ bjorn uses the 6505. which albums are you talking about? their tone has changed quite a bit from "lunar strain" to "sense of purpose".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necky379 View Post

well, the tone i am getting right now is closest to a sense of porpose album, which is strange because they use marshalls for that album ( i think)

anyways, i like the tone on soundtrack to your escape a lot.
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

drenzium can only hope to improve
Gibsons + EMGS + 5150 + Marshall 1960's Cabs.
That's their tone in a nutshell man.

Check out my band. Add us!
drenzium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
One of my very favorite recorded tones as well. I could give or take on the "Clayman" sound, and utterly hate the sound on the last album.

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul and Gibson VooDoo V (Among others)
Pickups: EMG 81
Boost: Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Amp: Peavey 5150
Cab: Marshall 4x12*

*Most likely "Fredman" mic'd, which, yes, makes a difference in the overall result.

Also, keep in mind that Peter Iwers' prominent, biamped, Rat'd up sound is a good part of the overall mojo going on.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

shogunate is a jewel in the rough
Yeah the last one... I dunno what happened. From a diplomatic standpoint I'd say the tone was "dark". Personally I think it sounds like they threw blankets over the speakers and used wedges of cheese for picks.

A big muff for a boost? Didn't know that, dayum Ima hafta try that someday.

STYE caught a lot of shit for some reason and got called nu metal () a lot, but it was ....ing sick and was a shining example of gothenburg metal I love these threads about bands' tones, always something interesting crops up

Maybe it's a promotional gag, you stay the weekend, get a jar of blood
shogunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #10
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Yeah, my other guitarist called it "the wet sock over the mic" sound.

Agreed on SYTE! It was a brilliant, edgy conceptual piece. I don't get the nu-metal comparisons, either. If anything, it was their most industrial sounding album. Guitars had a hard cut sound, the drums were heavily saturated and spacey, plenty of use of samples and triggers, and Örjan Örnkloo's great synth work backed it all up. Not nu metal in the least.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
jun jun jun

CodyMTS is on a distinguished road
soundtrack to your escape =
Gain 10
Bass 10
Mids 0
Treble 10
Any scoop/contour switch on
hahahaha
CodyMTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
Banned

PnKnG is just really nicePnKnG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Christ6Denied6 View Post
well, the tone i am getting right now is closest to a sense of porpose album, which is strange because they use marshalls for that album ( i think)

ASOP is a mix between Peavey's as the core of the sound and overdubs with Marshall and Orange Amps.
PnKnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Necky379 is just really niceNecky379 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drenzium View Post
ive read that they used engl cabs in the studio as well. when i get a chance i go through google pics and find anything on this.

Necky379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
OP,

What cab do you have? I wen't on a chase looking for In Flames toanz.

Like Drenzium said:

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
That "Clayman" sound.... - Ultimate Metal Forum there´s a bunch of info on this here

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Good luck

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
Good luck

Unread 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drenzium View Post

I used to use this exact same setup, and yes that has in flames tone written all over it. Luckily i still have all of that stuff so i can pull it off anytime muahaha

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote