homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
The Tooth Fairy

PirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
NCD - About damn time I posted this...

So I had a grand plan for a picstory as this badboy's been a while in getting here. I was supposed to post this up on friday, but shit happened and and long story short, is just never happened. Either way, she's here now, and I know you guys love pics, so here are some pics...after a description.

What you are about to see is a "Texas Dragon III" 2x12 semi-custom cab. It's made by Kevin Phillips out of Sudown Texas. He was great to work with and an all around awesome dude. Since by his own words customization is his thing, I got a couple tiny extras for no charge. Namely the custom top mounted recessed handle.

SPECS:

3/4" birch ply
29-3/4" x 20" x 14"
Dura-Tex Coating
Metal corners + handles
Black grill + logo
Red speaker baffle
Eminence v128 + Man-o-War
top mounted recessed handle (I hate strap handles)

Now for some pics, because this thread would be worthless without them.

Friday @ 2:06pm this arrives at my house.

I immediately administer metal.

I work at a grocery store and basically open boxes for a living. This is my trusty sidekick, and together we make short work of this monstrosity.

Major Props to Kevin on this packing job. Double boxed. No packing peanuts = no mess. The rigid foam is actually something I can use later, and it did an awesome job of protecting the cab. Everything came through without a scratch.

here are some non-blurry pics in better light:

So there she be. I've got a video rendering as we speak, it should be up on youtube within the hour. Warning, it sounds like shit becasue I had to use my webcam to get recorded audio....gay.

Anyways, enjoy.

EDIT:

Shitty once-over of the cab, my rig, and then a tone test. Tone test starts at 5:25 is you're in a hurry.
PirateMetalTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Gotta link for that?

That_One_Person will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That looks.... so awesomely brutal.
That_One_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Jogeta is just really niceJogeta is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Nice haul dude! Much jealousy!
Jogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Ah, it's so nice and clean looking.

Always loved the look of 2x12 guitar cabs. Whenever I see something like this I get to thinking that I should stop worrying about a 4x12 and just get a 2x12.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
RG7 Whore

joelozzy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Friggin Brutal Rig!

I just have a few questions if you don't mind answering as I am building a similar rig.

The furman power conditioner seems to be a popular choice, I'm not too familiar on them can you give me a rundown on the product.

Also you mentioned a number of effects loops, I wasn't aware you could do this.

Anyways Thankyou for posting I love the new cab!

Cheers

Joel
joelozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
The Tooth Fairy

PirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelozzy View Post
Friggin Brutal Rig!

I just have a few questions if you don't mind answering as I am building a similar rig.

The furman power conditioner seems to be a popular choice, I'm not too familiar on them can you give me a rundown on the product.

Also you mentioned a number of effects loops, I wasn't aware you could do this.

Anyways Thankyou for posting I love the new cab!

Cheers

Joel
Ok, so the furman is basically a glorified power bar with a breaker. Mine happens to have rack lights which may or may not prove useful in the future. Do some research before you buy one.

The G-System has a 4 pedal loops, plus one more for your guitar's pre-amp should you choose to run the "4 cable method". This way you can have 4 pedals (like your favorite OD pedal or maybe a chorus/flanger) and switch the pedals on/off at any time. it takes a little bit of reading to get your head around it.

I put my od in the first loop, then I put the pre-amp of my head in the 2nd. it's complicated but my signal chain goes like this:

Guitar > G-system in > OD808 > XXX pre-amp > MXR > ISP > G-system effects > XXX power section > cab

There's a bunch of other crap you can do with it, and it's a REALLY amazing tool. I honestly think that once I get my rig all wired the way I need it to be, I won't know how I ever lived without it.
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Funny, I knew what kind of cab it was by the 5th pic with the crazy pink foam wall I love my TD. Nice score!

To save some the effort:

TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
The Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
Funny, I knew what kind of cab it was by the 5th pic with the crazy pink foam wall I love my TD. Nice score!

To save some the effort:

Thanks man. I don't know why it didn't auto-embed for me this time.
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
RG7 Whore

joelozzy is a jewel in the rough
I completely understand now thankyou for your very informative post!
I didn't know the G-System had 4 effects loops that's what got me thinking.

Also from what I understand from your post the Furman supplies power to your head in a safe manner as opposed to simply plugging it straight into a wall outlet. Also it has a surge protector etc in it.

Apologies for leading off topic.
I much appreciate your helpful response!

Cheers

Joel
joelozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
That looks fekkin OARSOME!!!

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Matt-Hatchett is a jewel in the rough
I have that same box cutter. The easy cut I believe it's called haha. That's a sick cab man. Congrats!
Matt-Hatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #12
The Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelozzy View Post
I completely understand now thankyou for your very informative post!
I didn't know the G-System had 4 effects loops that's what got me thinking.

Also from what I understand from your post the Furman supplies power to your head in a safe manner as opposed to simply plugging it straight into a wall outlet. Also it has a surge protector etc in it.

Apologies for leading off topic.
I much appreciate your helpful response!

Cheers

Joel
yes sir, that is correct. Technically the g-system has 5 loops, if you count the insert loop. I'm not sure if there's some design spec in the insert loop that makes it different from the others. A bit of research perhaps?

And yes, the Furman is an 8 slot power bar with a surge protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Hatchett View Post
I have that same box cutter. The easy cut I believe it's called haha. That's a sick cab man. Congrats!
Thanks dude, and yes, it's called the easy cut.
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fantastic looking cab and a great rig dude - having never tried either of those speakers can you give me some idea how they sound perhaps compared to V30?

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
Geek-chic

liamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to all
That is a classy looking rig
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

snuif09 is a jewel in the rough
looks great sounds great and your playing is ....ing tight

snuif09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
looks awesome! i hate tone tests on cameras because i know it has some much more "umph" in person than a camera mic will pick up.. also would like to add that i have the EXACT same carpet in my living room \m/
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
The Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
Fantastic looking cab and a great rig dude - having never tried either of those speakers can you give me some idea how they sound perhaps compared to V30?
Before I sell my Mesa 4x12 I'll do a properly mic'd tone test for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuif09 View Post
looks great sounds great and your playing is ....ing tight
My playing is actually "teh slopzorz" I'm trying to get tighter. But that will only come with practice. Not a lot of time to play these days with all the shit that's going down in my life right now. it took 4 days to get this thread and that youtube video up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
looks awesome! i hate tone tests on cameras because i know it has some much more "umph" in person than a camera mic will pick up.. also would like to add that i have the EXACT same carpet in my living room \m/
I like that carpet. Perfect color to lose ALL my ultex picks on.

And yeah, it's a little beefier in person, but I like a lot of mids and not a lot of bass. It's really dialed for a band setting, not a bedroom shred type setting.
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
awesome video man, and thanks for taking time to make one for us considering your circumstances (wrote you a little word on your other thread)

that cab looks and sounds mean. i am sure he will be even better once everything has broken in, so video update in 6 months?
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome, that color combo locks also great
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
The Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphy1976 View Post
awesome video man, and thanks for taking time to make one for us considering your circumstances (wrote you a little word on your other thread)

that cab looks and sounds mean. i am sure he will be even better once everything has broken in, so video update in 6 months?
Funny you should say that, I just got a Korg DTR-1000 today to add to the rig. 20 minutes ago, actually. I just need a decimator prorack-g, line6 relay g-50, tc electronics nova drive, a couple EB volume pedals, a sliding rack shelf for my pedals, and a 2 space rack drawer and a SHITLOAD of cable and connectors and the rig will me (mostly) complete.
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
dude you're getting a really great tight and articulate tone out of that thing, by far the best I've ever heard a XXX sound. I can imagine it having much more body IRL cranked. Grats on the new cab, it looks as solid as a brick shithouse. The metal grille is insane and the red baffle looks awesome.
noob_pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
ss.org Regular

Forced Chaos will become famous soon enough
Does this guy have a website? If not how do you get a hold of him? I'm in Dallas so I'm sure it shipping would be fast.
Forced Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #23
The Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced Chaos View Post
Does this guy have a website? If not how do you get a hold of him? I'm in Dallas so I'm sure it shipping would be fast.
www.texasdragon.com
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

Forced Chaos will become famous soon enough
Thanks bro!!! Sick, sick cab BTW!
Forced Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Looks and sounds sick man, thanks for the rundown

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote