homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

maccayoung is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
NAD!! swapsies

this:

has magically transformed into...

this!:

Here's how this transformation happened (aka - GAS in effect):
So I'm browsing the internet and I find out that Blackstar have just released the HT-20. At this stage I've had my Dual Terror for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty happy with it. It looks cool, does a mean rock sound, and put a pedal in front of it and it can do a pretty convincing teh brootalz. Still, it can't hurt to send off an email to the music store and ask them if they have any HT-20s in store can it? Surely not, I have an inquisitive mind that's all. I have no intention of buying a new amp, I've just purchased one. Why would a need a new one?

The next day I get a reply stating that coincidentally they've just imported some into the country and they expect them to be in store next week. Even better, it's only $999 for the head (the dual terror was $1499). Great! Fantastic! Wonderful! Spectacular!

At this stage I'm kicking myself. I had originally tried the ht-5 and the only reason I didn't get it was because it was only five watts. I ended up getting the dual terror because it was 30 watts. Something that could keep up with a drummer if I needed it to.

I figure the best way to get around my conundrum is to pretend I never saw or heard about the HT-20, and under no circumstances am I to go into the store and try it out. No, never, ever. That would be foolhardy.

A week goes by...

Well it can't hurt to try it out, I mean I'm in town anyway I might as well go into the music shop. Amps are meant to be played and just because I'm going to play it doesn't mean I'm going to buy it, sheesh.

I'm in the store playing the ht-20 through a Charvel equipped with seymour duncans. It's everything I remembered about the ht-5, a killer overdrive channel, loads of gain on tap. The ISF dial really does work, turn it left it's a US flavoured amp, right and it's British. Oh what's this? They've added tone knob to the clean channel and a reverb. Well what could a single knob possibly do? I bet it's crappy reverb too. Ah, actually the verb sounds pretty good, and for one knob that tone knob surprisingly effective.

Crap, I really want this amp.

Luckily the music store were awesome, they let me swap the Dual Terror for the HT-20 and gave me store credit for the difference! I took a little bit of a hit, but it wasn't too bad considering I'd had the Dual Terror for a month.

So long story short, I'm super stoked. That is, until the next small high gain amp head comes along
maccayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nice deal!!!!

i have the blackstar dual distortion pedals and it rocks!!! sounds like blackstar are really good, their heads are getting a lot of attention these days!!!
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Very cool man.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Bored 13 year old

Banana Wedgie has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice trade, it seems like a massive aesthetic upgrade (IMO, Orange heads are ugly).

I liked the HT-5, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

But people were cueing out of the door, waiting to try it out, cue jumping a arguing, their cab being better than the Blackstar matched. There was about four or five people waiting, but that's quite a bit, especially when you consider I live in a place where people shun noise pollution. Anyway, everybody in front of me (both of them) bought theirs the next day online.

And if the HT-20 is anything like the HT-5, its gonna be out of stock for the next month after it gets there.
Banana Wedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

maccayoung is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Wedgie View Post
Nice trade, it seems like a massive aesthetic upgrade (IMO, Orange heads are ugly).

I liked the HT-5, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

But people were cueing out of the door, waiting to try it out, cue jumping a arguing, their cab being better than the Blackstar matched. There was about four or five people waiting, but that's quite a bit, especially when you consider I live in a place where people shun noise pollution. Anyway, everybody in front of me (both of them) bought theirs the next day online.

And if the HT-20 is anything like the HT-5, its gonna be out of stock for the next month after it gets there.

Yeah when I was in the store they said there were only three heads left in the country (including the one I was looking at).
maccayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
congrats on the swap. I played an HT-5 and came really close to picking one up. for your sake, I hope they don't come out w/ a better version of the HT-20
ridner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Congrats !!!!
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote