homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1926
ss.org Regular

Omar Devone Little can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrozz View Post
2) Not too sure about this one.

3) I'm sure the 5150 poweramp section will be fine running bass. You'll be using the bass cab/amp sims on the AxeFx so essentially the 5150 is just pumping the juice.

4) Surprisingly honest. I swapped in some BKP's from my older pups into my guitar and my Ultra sounded vastly different. It's good grounds to work with when trying to hear differences in pickups.
2.) Yeah I really don't want to drop an extra grand on a 100 watt 5150, the 100 watt version would be nice because the rhythm channel and the clean channel share the same EQ in the 50 watt version and the separate EQ would be nice on the 100 watt...but 100 watts is just too damn loud. To get into the power tubes instead of the pre-amp tubes I'd need to play it way too loud. The 50 watt version fixes that, but hey...nothing's perfect right? I just hop 50 watts is enough power.

3.) It was more back to question two...is 50 watts of tube power enough to pump enough juice into AXE-FXii through for bass? I can get bass cabs, so how would the cab sim work with an actual guitar and bass cab?

4.) Great. I love the way the 81 sounds with scooped distortion. Eric Peterson has some awesome tone.
Omar Devone Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #1927
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I've gotten so used to the Axe I'd totally forgotten how "samey" the earlier amp modelers made different pickups. It's sort of a curse though; with my GT6 I could make one heavy patch and have it sound relatively consistent among my HB-equipped guitars. Now I have to create patches for each guitar - some will need way more gain, a much higher gate threshold, less bass, etc.

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1928
Electrifying

Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Ahahaha just found this:

Without trying to sound like a total child, I'd love to hear someone 'prefer the tube amp' from some daft reason from those recordings
dbrozz likes this.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1929
SS.org Regular

dbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of lightdbrozz is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ Just found and watched the same video this morning and completely agree!
The quality of amp modelling and tone matching in the Axe2 are just incredible. I'm GAS'ing so hard.. strongly considering a gear shift to make room for a II

Gear:
Axe-Fx II
Mackie HD1221
Ibanez RG7620
dbrozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #1930
10th Degree GearSlut

2ManyShoes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrozz View Post
^ Just found and watched the same video this morning and completely agree!
The quality of amp modelling and tone matching in the Axe2 are just incredible. I'm GAS'ing so hard.. strongly considering a gear shift to make room for a II
I did last month, and I'm so glad!

"Grondar, untie Mr. Paslo."

"But he's told us nothing!"

"There's a customer!"
2ManyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1931
SS.org Regular

Levi79 is a glorious beacon of lightLevi79 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
To be totally honest, in that video those tone sound super awesome and similar, but I downloaded all of those tonematches and was rather displeased with the tone I was getting from them. He does alot of post EQ and such on those.

However, tonematch is quite impressive. I've done quite a few already.
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #1932
Electrifying

Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.Rook is his own personal hero.
I have to say the tube amps I've tried recently have been rather underwhelming. They haven't had the same clarity as my Axe settings, I've noodled with an Über, Recto, Mark V, JVM, Series One, all of them have been just a little mushy, not to mention they hide my mistakes haha.

It's mad, every tube amp I've tried I'm finding myself dialling the gain right back to like 2 (out of 10) The axe has changed how I dial in sounds completely, and for the better IMO.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #1933
SS.org Regular

Seanthesheep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyShoes View Post
I did last month, and I'm so glad!
I did too and it was so worth it, wouldnt trade it for anything

It just nails the tones I want/need and I know if I ever need to do something I probably can
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #1934
SS.org Regular

Shask is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep View Post
I did too and it was so worth it, wouldnt trade it for anything

It just nails the tones I want/need and I know if I ever need to do something I probably can
I have an Axe-FX Standard on the way Looking forward to joining the Fractal world.

I want to see if it changes my world and makes me forget about tubes...
Shask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #1935
Need more gain

Lukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So the axe-fx bug bit me. Im tired of my Pod XT Live and want to move into the big leagues. My main purpose with it will be recording on my PC but I want to be able to jam on it as well. I will have to sell my head and cab and probably a guitar to get a standard.

My question is do you all think a good set of monitors would be loud enough for jamming on with a bass player and just playing in my music room?? I need monitors for proper mixing and recording anyways so if it will be loud enough to jam out on I wont worry about getting an external power amp and trying to keep my cab or get a small cab.
Lukifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #1936
Local Astronaut

3074326 is just really nice3074326 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukifer View Post
So the axe-fx bug bit me. Im tired of my Pod XT Live and want to move into the big leagues. My main purpose with it will be recording on my PC but I want to be able to jam on it as well. I will have to sell my head and cab and probably a guitar to get a standard.

My question is do you all think a good set of monitors would be loud enough for jamming on with a bass player and just playing in my music room?? I need monitors for proper mixing and recording anyways so if it will be loud enough to jam out on I wont worry about getting an external power amp and trying to keep my cab or get a small cab.
Depends on how loud you plan on jamming. Studio monitors are still pretty loud, so I think you'll be fine. It's more about the monitors than the Axe, though.
3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #1937
SS.org Regular

Studio monitors are made for a near field listening. Im not sure this would translate well if everyone is spread out in a practice space.

Btw what are the go to studio monitors for axe users under 500$ im trying to snaf some used yamaha hs80m's but they dont come up often
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #1938
Need more gain

Lukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to allLukifer is a name known to all
Its gonna be in a room in my house. I have no plans on being in a full band, just one of my old buddies plays bass and we drink and jam sometimes. Otherwise its gonna be for my own personal pleasure and recording.

BTW does the Axe-fx have a USB or do you have to use an interface to record??
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #1939
SS.org Regular

The axe II has USB and it works great IMO
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1940
Need more gain

What about the axe-fx standard??? Im cheap.
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #1941
SS.org Regular

j_m_s is a jewel in the rough
Nope only the II has USB. The Ultra and Standard use MIDI. So you need a MIDI interface for those. Having moved from an Ultra to a II, I must say that the improvement is HUGE. The Ultra was already mindblowing but the II takes it to a whole other level!

twitter.com/jmsmusic1
jmsmusic.tumblr.com
youtube.com/lotr589
j_m_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1942
Need more gain

I was just going to go with a Standard for money reasons. Now that I Know I need the biggest nicest monitors I can afford and a midi interface definitely gonna have to go with the Standard.
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1943
SS.org Regular

Alex6534 is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys, I've heard a few people say the sims on the axe 2 on hi gain sound similar, is this true? I'm looking at upgrading from a Peavey 6534+ for a used axe fx 2. Also, If I do go to the `dark side` what would be the best way for me to get that "in your face" sound but still keep the sound guy happy? I'm thinking wedges......
Alex6534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #1944
SS.org Regular

j_m_s is a jewel in the rough
Lukifer, that works too. I used the M Audio Midisport 2x2 with the Ultra, cheap and worked great.

@Alex6534, wedges are great.. or you can check out the other monitor solutions available. another option is that you can run into a poweramp and cab for stage volume. that's what I do. I send my output 1 XLR to the FOH and output 2 to an amp on stage for stage volume. I do also have in ear monitors to hear the feed to the soundboard + other band members as well.

twitter.com/jmsmusic1
jmsmusic.tumblr.com
youtube.com/lotr589
j_m_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #1945
SS.org Regular

^Oh, that sounds tasty haha. Might need to give that a go in a few months when I've got the £ to get it all together.
Unread 07-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #1946
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6534 View Post
Hey guys, I've heard a few people say the sims on the axe 2 on hi gain sound similar, is this true? I'm looking at upgrading from a Peavey 6534+ for a used axe fx 2. Also, If I do go to the `dark side` what would be the best way for me to get that "in your face" sound but still keep the sound guy happy? I'm thinking wedges......
Lol, I sold my 6534+ to get an axe fx II.

Do it man, to me it was so worth it and so much better. The high gain patches can sound drastically different so it works great for me.

Wedges would be best if youre playing live IMO or studio monitors if youre at home alot
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #1947
SS.org Regular

^HAha! Shit thing is prices on the 6534 have went down so having to sell my 4x12 and pedals too -_- but I'm HOPEFULLY getting the axe fx 2 and mfc 101 for £1.4k or around $2.2k. I love the Peavey, but I want versatility and brootalz :p
Unread 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #1948
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6534 View Post
^HAha! Shit thing is prices on the 6534 have went down so having to sell my 4x12 and pedals too -_- but I'm HOPEFULLY getting the axe fx 2 and mfc 101 for £1.4k or around $2.2k. I love the Peavey, but I want versatility and brootalz :p
When i sold my peavey i hated it, I also did well on it, bought for essentially 1000$, used it for just over a year then sold it for 960$

Im not sure if Im gonna get the MFC though, I could get a Ground control pro and a line 6 G50 wireless for the same price

Also, if you need a 2u rack case, check out the 2u skb wireless mic rack case its deep enough, sturdy, and awesome with lots of storage pouches, and only 130$
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #1949
SS.org Regular

thekingmaker is a jewel in the rough
Dual Guitars through Axe Fx Ultra

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered, but I need some personal input.

Is there any way to run two guitars simultaneously through an original Axe FX Ultra? The rig is an Axe FX ultra, Rocktron 150watt power amp, and two 4x12 Vaders. Obviously the goal would be to have one guitar coming through each cab.
I know it's possible with the Axe FX II, but trying to figure out a way to work with what I got.

Thanks all
thekingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #1950
Electrifying

Very easy, all you need to do is plug your second guitar into INPUT 2 (not the right input of input 1) assuming your first is either into the front or into left of input 1 (remember to select 'rear' in I/o menu if you do that) and booths FXL block becomes the source of your second guitar signal. Simply place the FXL block into a patch (not connected to anything relating to guitar 1) and connect it to and amp and cab and then connect the cab all the way to the right. Simply pan the cab for your existing guitar 1 all the way to the left and the cab block for guitar 2 all the way right and you have a side of your power amp for each guitar. Below is a crappy diagram of what the layout should look like

IN]---------Amp1---cab1------------[OUT
] FXL---Amp2---cab2-----------[
] [
] [

Note FXL (guitar 2 in) isn't connected to the main IN at all. Amp 1 and cab 1 are for input 1 guitar, amp2 and cab2 for input 2
AxeHappy likes this.