homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree470Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #501
Banned

orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdeathcore View Post
A few questions
Does the Axe FX have a built in power amp?

So I can just buy it, plug it into computer moniters and listen back? And simply plug it in a PA and the sound will come out of both the PA speakers and moniters? Any specific cables I need for this?
Built in power amp sim, so yes, with powered monitors (computer/studio) you can plug it in and play. Same with powered PA speakers. You'd need 1/4" or XLR cables (or a combination thereof) to plug everything in.
orb451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #502
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdeathcore View Post
A few questions
Does the Axe FX have a built in power amp?

So I can just buy it, plug it into computer moniters and listen back? And simply plug it in a PA and the sound will come out of both the PA speakers and moniters? Any specific cables I need for this?
The things you mentioned don't require a power amp. And no, the Axe-Fx doesn't have one.

What you'd need a power amp for is if you want to use the Axe-Fx with for example a guitar cabinet or passive monitors, any kind of speaker that doesn't have its own power supply. In the case of passive monitors, if they're used in the context of a PA they will get their power from the sound tech's power amp, so you wouldn't need to bring one.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #503
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Just snagged a standard off ebay! Finally!
Cadavuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #504
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadavuh View Post
Just snagged a standard off ebay! Finally!
Congrats! Welcome to the club.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #505
SS.org Regular

slapnutz is a jewel in the rough
Question,

If youre dialing in say a Mesa Trip Rec or Peavey 5150 tone. Once you have it matched.... if you adjust the eq, does it still behave like those amps.

i.e. does it match a specific "knob setting" for an amp... or it matches the Basic amp first and then if you adjust gain/eq/etc... in the axe... it mirrors the sound of the amp its trying to model.

Hope this question makes sense.
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #506
ss.org Regular

Beast is on a distinguished road
I am contemplating getting the axe fx ultra, but since I am not very tech savvy, would this work: guitar > zed10fx mixer > QSC k12s.

If I love the axe fx, I will eventually get the fryette 2/90/2 and either a 4x12 or two 2x12s to go with it, but for now, I am wondering if the barebones setup will be sufficient. This is a solid thread too, I read the whole thing.

Thanks guys!
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #507
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
It definitely sounds pretty good through the K12s. I think you'll be happy with it for a bit until you get the rest of the rig together.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #508
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Has anyone A/Bed the Fryette power amps with the Atomic Monoblock? If so, verdict?
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #509
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Anybody else have issues with the "value" knob skipping when trying to change patches? Mine is really bad and skips back and forth and is a total pain in the ass to get to the desired patch location. I can't believe how bad this dial reacts considering how great and expensive the rest of the unit it. I really can't wait until I have a footswitch for it.
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #510
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Has anyone A/Bed the Fryette power amps with the Atomic Monoblock? If so, verdict?
I would ask Misha about that since they're using both in Periphery right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikernaut View Post
Anybody else have issues with the "value" knob skipping when trying to change patches? Mine is really bad and skips back and forth and is a total pain in the ass to get to the desired patch location. I can't believe how bad this dial reacts considering how great and expensive the rest of the unit it. I really can't wait until I have a footswitch for it.
That's not something I've experienced. Mine works pretty damn well, but I don't think it's the greatest way of moving through patches.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #511
Bounce The Tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin666 View Post
I would ask Misha about that since they're using both in Periphery right now.
Iight. I wanted a tube power amp but the VHT was wayyyyyy too expensive so i went with the monoblock. I havent been able to play through it yet though because the axe hasnt gotten here >_<.
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #512
Deadite

Quote:
Iight. I wanted a tube power amp but the VHT was wayyyyyy too expensive so i went with the monoblock. I havent been able to play through it yet though because the axe hasnt gotten here >_<.
It sounded great when Misha posted a video of it. You definitely can't beat the weight and price. The VHT poweramps weigh a ton.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #513
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
IIRC Misha gave the monoblock to one of the other guitarists and bought himself a VHT 2/50/2 for his rig.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #514
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
IIRC Misha gave the monoblock to one of the other guitarists and bought himself a VHT 2/50/2 for his rig.
You remember correctly.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #515
\m/^_^\m/

AliceLG is just really niceAliceLG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
After reading question for 11 pages I've decided I have a 55% change of asking a n00b question that hasn't been asked/answered yet. PREAMBLE: I don't have an AxeFx and I'm not planning to buy one in the near future, too expensive for my cheapass wallet hehe…

I have the following scenario in mind: I have a gig in which I'll play 15 songs, and I have a set of presets for each one of them (I am that picky and spend that much time in front of my computer playing with presets). With the AxeFx, can I organized all the presets as a setlist, with a bank for each song? Does it depend on the foot controller?

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #516
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLG View Post
After reading question for 11 pages I've decided I have a 55% change of asking a n00b question that hasn't been asked/answered yet. PREAMBLE: I don't have an AxeFx and I'm not planning to buy one in the near future, too expensive for my cheapass wallet hehe…

I have the following scenario in mind: I have a gig in which I'll play 15 songs, and I have a set of presets for each one of them (I am that picky and spend that much time in front of my computer playing with presets). With the AxeFx, can I organized all the presets as a setlist, with a bank for each song? Does it depend on the foot controller?
Definitely. A good midi controller makes that pretty darn easy.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Unread 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #517
Bounce The Tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Because the VHT was rack mountable or because it sounded better? or both?
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #518
SS.org Regular

fallenz3ro is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm going to start recording with the axe, and am looking for a simple recording set up. What kind of interface do i need between the axe and my PC?
fallenz3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #519
SS.org Regular

slapnutz is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz View Post
Question,

If youre dialing in say a Mesa Trip Rec or Peavey 5150 tone. Once you have it matched.... if you adjust the eq, does it still behave like those amps.

i.e. does it match a specific "knob setting" for an amp... or it matches the Basic amp first and then if you adjust gain/eq/etc... in the axe... it mirrors the sound of the amp its trying to model.

Hope this question makes sense.
No takers?
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #520
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapnutz View Post
No takers?
i know this may sound odd to you, but try to make your amp sims sounds like recorded versions of those respective amps

in other words try to get your tone as close to a polished recorded guitar tone as you can, as apposed to a raw guitar amp sound

and i imagine the answer to your questions is yes, the structure of tone will change much like they do on the amps they simulate

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #521
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikernaut View Post
Yes! That is the exact same problem as I have. I've finally got around to hooking it up with Axe-Edit so it doesn't bother me that much anymore, but still, if you find a solution let me know!

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #522
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
On a tangent... I'm scrambling to fund an AFX Ultra. I'm debating on selling my Randall V2 head.

Question is, can I use my Randall V2 head (as is) for a power amp (instead of a Freyette or Mesa 2/90, etc)? If so, how would that work? (ie, through my clean channel??)

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #523
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojyeloot View Post
On a tangent... I'm scrambling to fund an AFX Ultra. I'm debating on selling my Randall V2 head.

Question is, can I use my Randall V2 head (as is) for a power amp (instead of a Freyette or Mesa 2/90, etc)? If so, how would that work? (ie, through my clean channel??)
You would route the output of the AxeFx into the amp's effects return for the loop. That would bypass the preamp of the Randall completely.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #524
Bounce The Tits

UPS just delivered. .... yes axe is in!
Unread 09-24-2010, 04:28 AM   #525
Banned

Ola Englund is just really niceOla Englund is just really nice
MOD EDIT: This is a thread for questions about the Axe-Fx. If you want to post clips and aren't sharing the patch as well post them in the Recording or General Music sections.
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote