homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #351
Banned

Ola Englund is just really niceOla Englund is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might aswell share a demo of a new song I'm doing a demo on. But I'm using the Axe FX for sound:

http://www.oep.se/audio/57-test.mp3

remember it's just a demo so don't bash it.
Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #352
Banned

orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Englund View Post
Might aswell share a demo of a new song I'm doing a demo on. But I'm using the Axe FX for sound:

Sounds like a Brittany Spears song. I can hear her screaming ".... ME!!!! .... MEEEEEEE!!!! YOUR MOTHER SUCKS COCKS IN HELL!!!" whilst her head spins 360 degrees and she pukes green vomit.

Christ man, that's some heavy shit. Well played good sir, well played

I don't suppose, once again, that you'd like to *share* your recipes????
orb451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #353
the green machine

Zugster is just really niceZugster is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOVchaoS View Post

Everything's sold now. That combined with a couple pedal sales, the laptop and a few other items I sold on ebay bought me an Ultra and gave be about $500 to get my house ready for the incoming baby!

My goal is to never buy tubes again, I hope it works out for me!
I've been meaning to ask you - - - - - what went wrong with your 1101 rig that you sold it? I remember how you raved about it in the dim dark past of a few months ago.

...this rig requires something with a little more kick... plutonium!
Zugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #354
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

That sounds awesome dude. Killer tone, how many guitar tracks do you have stacked up?

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #355
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:

oh ...., maaaaan! that sounds so ridiculously "in the room" that i had to lower my headphone volume for a bit to see that i wasn´t accidentally playing it through my speakers!

really nice and LARGE!

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #356
Banned

Ola Englund is just really niceOla Englund is just really nice
Ok guys I uploaded the track with new guitars.

Only one left and one right guitar!

Ola Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #357
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugster View Post
I've been meaning to ask you - - - - - what went wrong with your 1101 rig that you sold it? I remember how you raved about it in the dim dark past of a few months ago.
I LOVED it and it did everything I needed it to do through a tube power amp and cab but... The direct tones didn't do it for me With a new born, I needed good direct tones. I have to be quiet because I only really get to play when everybody else is asleep. I've spent some time with an Axe-FX before but without the editor and I HATE tweaking it with the front panel controls so I didn't really give it a fair chance. I love it now. SO much you can tweak and the ability to load custom cab IRs makes it a winner. If it were possible to do this with the Digitech I wouldn't have sold it. GREAT preamp!!!

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #358
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:

So what amp models etc are you using in the patch?

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #359
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

Damn that's sweet, your tone is so thick it sounds like you have each track doubled

For all my solo stuff:
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #360
SS.org Regular

maccayoung is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

Jesus, that sounds huge!!!
Is that recorded direct or miked up? Tube power amp, or solid state?
maccayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #361
s l e l f

biggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to beholdbiggness is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Version 10.00 Released

Fractal Audio Systems • View topic - V10 Ultra .... come and get it!

| Axe-Fx Ultra > Fryette 2/90/2 > Mesa Recto 4x12 |
-------------Various Ibanez Shredders-------------
My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not...
biggness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #362
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Okay, kiddies, I'm about to have myself a firesale here so I can get my cult robes on order to join up:

Just a few questions that I don't really see any answers to, here, or on the Fractal wiki:

At least for a while here, I plan to use the unit strictly for direct studio recording, as that's our gig:

1. Ola mentioned that the S/PIDF's are a junk way to pass audio, and added even Cliff @ Fractal supposedly said so. If so, why the crap have them on there instead of, say, FireWire?! I'm using a Line X3 Pro now USB direct, and I'm not too keen on dropping a bunch of dough on a separate interface if I don't need it (my other guitar player has a 002 that he keeps with him, but is not at my place 24/7, should we need traditional multi analog ins). Frankly, I love the way the X3 buses the eight separated out signals (raw, full mix, tone 1 left, tone 1, right, etc.), not to mention it makes it REALLY easy to go back through for reamping, or interfacing my VSTs with my cool-ass outboard gear. Should I just hold out for a version with a real interface BUS on it, or is that not happening any time soon?

2. A lot of what I'm doing right now, and most certainly in the future (not to mention is becoming somewhat of a standard these days) is recording direct raws for reamping. Is the Axe-FX worthy of doubling as a DI box (wither through an alternate output into an interface, or through the aforementioned S/PDIF) or am I going to need to get something like a Radial JDI to "route around" it to an open channel in (again) a separate interface. Furthermore, is it an easy gig to reamp back through the unit? Obviously, if its the bees knees so far as digital modeling goes, reamping back through it is an absolute must. The X3 (and DigiDesign Eleven, for that matter) are dialed in for this sort of thing. How does the Axe-Fx fair in this department?

3. How is the effects loop configurable? Can the L/R be tapped off any locations in the tone path, or is it limited to one side or the other (like in the X3 Pro )?

4. The harmonizer. How good is it really? No Fractal Cult bullshit: How does is sound, and how does it track? I need to know if my Eventide Pitch Factor goes into the firesale lot or not.

I guess that's all I have for now. Sorry to be so long winded.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #363
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggness View Post
Word... got it!!! Still don't have any picks Going to the store today after work!!!

Unread 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #364
The Decepticon

I want it!!!

Right now to use the Axe Fx through my computer I use a 1/4" into the guitar input of my POD Studio UX2.

How would I hook it up to the computer properly to receive the firmware updates?

For all my solo stuff:
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #365
8 string addict

HANIAK is a jewel in the rough
Midi cable, dude!
HANIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #366
The Decepticon

So I would have to see if the POD has an input for MIDI then, or are you talking about a MIDI to USB cable?

For all my solo stuff:
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #367
8 string addict

HANIAK is a jewel in the rough
The UX2 does not have a midi in/out, so the cheapest way to go would be buying a Midi in/out to USB cable, indeed.
But beware that some midi-usb cables do not support sysx midi messages (the ones you need to send to the AxeFX yo update your firmware), so choose carefully.
HANIAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #368
The Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANIAK View Post
The UX2 does not have a midi in/out, so the cheapest way to go would be buying a Midi in/out to USB cable, indeed.
But beware that some midi-usb cables do not support sysx midi messages (the ones you need to send to the AxeFX yo update your firmware), so choose carefully.

Awesome, thanks for your help dude. I had seen some people give mixed reviews about the MIDI to USB cables so I wasn't sure if they were the right way to go.

What about the MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface? Does anyone know if that would be good to get?

For all my solo stuff:
Unread 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #369
ss.org Regular

rasse is on a distinguished road
So the Axe finally arrived and I've been reading tips, tweaking the shit out of everything, playing the presets etc, the basic stuff that you do when you get it. I also ordered a Swissonic midi/USB cable from Thomann with the cables, speakers and audio interface. Now it seems that this Swissonic 1x1 cable belongs to the infamous bunch of midi/usb cables that cant send sysex data. Does anyone else have the same (http://images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/1...453683_800.jpg) cable or am I just doing something wrong?

Though my computer actually did recognize the connection when I first did it, but after a while it just didn't do it anymore. I could edit the presets in Axe Edit but couldn't import them into the Axe. I don't know if this would've been fixable with some reinstallation etc but I didn't have the time to actually try to fix it because the blinking light on my Axe just stopped blinking after I flicked the power switch off and on again.

Also, I have my whole setup currently like this:

Guitar -> Axe FX -> KRK Rokit rp5 (XLR output 1)
------------------> Lexicon Omega (TRS output 2) -> PC (USB)

The problem here is that I can't get my computer to notice my guitar signal well. I can only see small bumps on the recorded tracks but nothing audible. If I connect my guitar straight to the Omega it just gives me a clean channel without the axe.
rasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #370
Banned

orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasse View Post
Also, I have my whole setup currently like this:

Guitar -> Axe FX -> KRK Rokit rp5 (XLR output 1)
------------------> Lexicon Omega (TRS output 2) -> PC (USB)

The problem here is that I can't get my computer to notice my guitar signal well. I can only see small bumps on the recorded tracks but nothing audible. If I connect my guitar straight to the Omega it just gives me a clean channel without the axe.
Welcome to the club! I think somewhere under I/O or system menus is the option to mirror output 1 to output 2 - I may have that backwards though. You should check in there and see that you are in fact sending out the same signal from the Axe to your RP5's AND your Lexicon.

An easy way to check would be to unplug the lines going from the Axe to your RP5s and just plug them straight into the Lexicon. If you have sound, you should be good to go. Also note that on the Lexicon, at least for me, I have it set to 100% wet. That is the wet/dry mix knob at the bottom next to the front input jack on the Lexi is set 100% clockwise, to about 5 o'clock or whatever it is.

Hope that helps!
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #371
Avant Temporal

right_to_rage is just really niceright_to_rage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggness View Post
When does the standard version come out? Fractal's site isn't loading for me...
right_to_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #372
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by right_to_rage View Post
When does the standard version come out? Fractal's site isn't loading for me...
They really need a better web hosting solution. Usually firmware for the standard comes out a day or two later (sometimes more, sometimes less).
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #373
The Juggernaut

teqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud ofteqnick has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'll be taking the axe-fx plunge sometime within the next week or so. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I know for sure there's tons more ground for me to cover. I'm not going to be running a power amp for now. I intend on my setup looking like this. Please let me know what's wrong with it, if there is anything wrong with it !

Guitar--> Axe-Fx--->Firewire interface---> Computer

I intend on using studio headphones and powered monitors. Where in this chain do the powered monitors go? Also, the midi to USB goes from the axe into the interface right? and then the Firewire goes from the interface to the PC?

EBMM JPX7
Fractal Audio Axe FX
teqnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #374
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqnick View Post
I'll be taking the axe-fx plunge sometime within the next week or so. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I know for sure there's tons more ground for me to cover. I'm not going to be running a power amp for now. I intend on my setup looking like this. Please let me know what's wrong with it, if there is anything wrong with it !

Guitar--> Axe-Fx--->Firewire interface---> Computer

I intend on using studio headphones and powered monitors. Where in this chain do the powered monitors go? Also, the midi to USB goes from the axe into the interface right? and then the Firewire goes from the interface to the PC?
I think the layout you have will work. As far as the powered monitors go, I think it depends on your firewire interface. It must have some kind of monitor out (besides headphones) no? If it does, that's where you'd plug in your monitors. That or a separate mixer somewhere in the chain. And yes, to my knowledge, you'd go from the USB MIDI to the axe (and back) depending on your setup...
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #375
NUDE MAN!

For the record, you CAN update your firmware and edit patches with any cheap USB to MIDI cables. I updated mine this morning and have been editing patches for a week. You just can't get the computer to read what's on your axe-fx, you can't recall a patch from your axe-fx using the software.

PROBLEM SOLVED though! Got the new breakout cable for my 1010LT just now and Axe-Edit is fully functional!

If anybody is interested in the cheap adapter cables I have two sets one unopened!