homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

lightofelysium is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cabinet for randall t2

Hi, I just purchased a randall t2 head and I'm looking to purchase a cab, the whole ohm thing confuses me deeply and I was wondering what cabs all you t2/v2 users out there are using
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

drenzium can only hope to improve
mesa/orange/vht/vader, take your pick ^.^

Check out my band. Add us!
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
A quick example. Say you bought a Vader 4x12. Vader 4x12's are 8 ohm cabs. You'd locate the little switch on the back of the amp that says 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Set it to 8. As far as what output to connect to, my cab only has one jack so it's pretty idiot proof. I can't really speak for other cabs.

What's your budget? Mesa/Orange/VHT/Vader are all pretty expensive, good cabs, but expensive.
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had one of the Randall Warhead cabs with my V.Max, sounded awesome as well EDIT: That said though, they're a touch hard to come by nowadays...
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
The output is 8 ohm, you can use an 8 or a 16 ohm cab without worrying. Marshall cabs are really cheap and easily acquired, mesa/orange/vader will keep you happy for years. When looking at a store I would suggest using something that is closed back, heavier is better, celestions or eminence speakers, tuned cabs are best. The output of a T2 is totally powerful enough for using 2 412's, so I do not suggest a 212. A 212 won't sound as awesome or impress when you play out. I use Vintage 30's in an Avatar with my V2 and it is f#cking great.

Welcome BTW

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking more in used marshall/peavey/randall price range. My real problem is finding a cab with the wattage to handle this 400w beast that also is 4 or 8 ohms
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Any cab that's loaded with 4 celestions will handle the T2, it's not like you will actually turn it up all the way. I have played at earbleeding stage levels and never turned the V2 up past 12 o clock!

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
if you're on a tight budget, check out avatar cabs.
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

thanks guys, you've been alot of help, Oh and @xtrustisyoursx its good to see another guy from tn on this forum
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightofelysium View Post
thanks guys, you've been alot of help, Oh and @xtrustisyoursx its good to see another guy from tn on this forum
There are actually quite a few of us!
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Quote:
I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking more in used marshall/peavey/randall price range. My real problem is finding a cab with the wattage to handle this 400w beast that also is 4 or 8 ohms
The Peavey XXX cab has a 400 watt power handling and they're apparently not bad. The speakers I gather are like tweaked Vintage 30's.

You're not running the full power of that head unless it's going into a 4 ohm cab. I'm pretty sure you're pushing 280 watts at 8 ohms. A Marshall 1960A cab with 4 Celestion T-75's can take 280. Not ANY cab with Celestions could take the head, I wouldn't want to run it through something with Greenbacks. 4 of those only add up to 100 watts. You could probably get away with it but I'd be terrified to turn the head up a bit.

And yeah, you're not going to need to turn the head up enough to destroy any speakers. A 400 watt head would probably never go past 2 on the volume and it'd be as loud as it'd ever need to be. You're not always putting out as much wattage as your amp is rated for.

I'd probably look around for a used Marshall 1960A or B. The A cab is slanted and the B cab is straight. They come stock with G12T-75 speakers which are pretty warm sounding which might do well to warm up an effectively solid state amp. A Peavey 6505 through this cab sounds awesome, at least. You might find cabs loaded with Vintage 30's to be a bit thin and scratchy sounding, but bear in mind this is just my experience.
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
Bounce The Tits

Cadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to allCadavuh is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I run an avatar 4x12 with my T2 and they are a great match. I have 2 v30s and 2 k100s in an X pattern.
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
AU director / RHLC

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
running a T2 with a randall XL(v30loaded)cab
i also run it with a marshall cab with 2 stock g12-t75 and 2 v30 in X pattern
and a stock marshall cab.

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

MESA OWNERS CLUB MEMBER..R-014XXX
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Tis' what I use for my V2
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Devon8822 is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I use an Orange 412 (v30s) with my T2, not only does it sound amazing it looks amazing. I don't think there is much better a cab for this head.
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
They sound great with the cabs that were built to work with them, the Randall XL cabs (which have V30s). They also sound good with Eminence Super-V loaded cabs.
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
They sound great with the cabs that were built to work with them, the Randall XL cabs (which have V30s). They also sound good with Eminence Super-V loaded cabs.
This

I love those cabs. I don't think you would ever need 400 watts tho, imo.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
Do you think vaders are worth the cash? If so I may have to sell some crap and go for one
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
peavey XXX slant

400W handling, solid as ...., sound great. I owned two, still have one

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
surrounded by chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
peavey XXX slant

400W handling, solid as ...., sound great. I owned two, still have one
How much do XXX cabs typically go for? They seem interesting and I'll be looking into getting a cab soon.
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #21
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Do you think vaders are worth the cash? If so I may have to sell some crap and go for one
Vaders are alright, but they favor lows and low mids, they're dark sounding, and they don't record well.
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
How much do XXX cabs typically go for? They seem interesting and I'll be looking into getting a cab soon.
I think I sold my straight cab for $375.

Unread 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groph View Post
I've seen them as low as $200-$250. They don't typically have a high resell value.
Unread 03-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #24
Guiterrorizer

US vs. CAD - I haven't seen too many listed, actually.

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
US vs. CAD - I haven't seen too many listed, actually.
Ah, right... forgot about that aspect
Closed Thread