homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

mightywarlock is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Celestion V30 vs. G12H30 vs. G12T75 vs. K100 Shootout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acgu...layer_embedded

Found this on the Rivera website while checking things out about my new KR7 that I just got this week, and thought this was really good...
All my cabs have v30's, and I finally got rid of my G12t75 Marshall sometime last year, but This video has me thinking of maybe getting a cab with the K100 speakers in it...they just seem so clear and detailed to me...
But then again, I also liked the G12h30's as well...very vintage vibe to it...

Which do you like the best?

(this was added on 11/30/09)

I found yet another speaker comparison...

Check this one out as well!

http://www.kool-elfring.com/Pages/En...-mp3-eng.html#

EDIT:

Looks like Rivera did a more extensive test now as well, with 15 speakers!~

Check this link out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0s...eature=channel
mightywarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

jsousa is a glorious beacon of lightjsousa is a glorious beacon of lightjsousa is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
v30 and k100. 75s suck, and the h30 sounds like a not-so-great v30?

baller.
jsousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool way to do the review.

Glad to see I was right in ordering my V 30's, they will be perfect for my amp.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

minusthemonkey will become famous soon enough
K100 sounded like a cleaner, smoother, more defined V30. Not to say I don't like the V30s. Love 'em actually, but, man, those K100s sound awfully sweet.
minusthemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

yacker is just really niceyacker is just really nice
Hmm...I didn't really expect that type of difference, but I'm kinda thinking that a v30/k100 combo would sound good.
yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Werwolf999 is a jewel in the rough
I thought the k100s sounded the best out of the four, but bet they would sound even better mixed w/ another type in 4X4 cab.
Werwolf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i still like the V30 better. the k100 is an extremely close 2nd, the 70th anni speaker was ok, and the 75 was horrible

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
I have all the Rivera cabs here, and I think the KR7 sounds best with the Mick Thompson cab which has the G12-K100s. By far the tightest, clearerst, punchiest, and has highs that are smooth, not harsh. The v30/gt75 cabs I let people compare them to here at the store sound good, but the K100 one is the clear cut winner every time.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
myspace.com/pygar1

robotsatemygma is just really nicerobotsatemygma is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question is... what speaker did they use to get the EQ setting to be used in this "shoot out"? Or did they just randomly do a quick EQ check before turning the amp on?

No one knows.

If you used a V30 to eq then it'll sound better then the other 3 being recorded. Each speaker has different frequencies being boosted and subdued. So an EQ is going to spotlight the qualities of the speaker and it's clones. So if they eq'ed on a K100, well, it's next similar "twin" will sound good as well.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea but it should of been approached differently. But everything can be done differently.

But without thinking, I like the V30 and K100. Man I wanna X pattern bad now!!!
robotsatemygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsatemygma View Post
having played over a Diezel fullstack - Herbert -> 412FL K100 -> 412FL V30 - i can assure you that this combination is full of win. and this is the content of my wet dreams.

and maaaaan, those youtube-comments are as always so over the top retarted, it hurts reading.

something needs to be said to the K100s - while when playing ALONE the V30s will propably sound better to most ears, the K100s really REALLY come to live in a band-context. thats what they are made for.
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Furor Teutonicus

Brord is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
something needs to be said to the K100s - while when playing ALONE the V30s will propably sound better to most ears, the K100s really REALLY come to live in a band-context. thats what they are made for.
What would you say the main difference is then between v30's and k100's in an individual setting and in a band setting? Since you think v30's wil sound better to most people when playing alone.

On a sidenote, does anybody have any experience with the Electrovoice EVM12L Black Label? The specs look good and I have heard people rave about it, but never had the chance to try 'em.
http://www.evm12lblacklabel.com/

Kop-ik-win, munt-jij-verliest.
Brord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #12
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brord View Post
What would you say the main difference is then between v30's and k100's in an individual setting and in a band setting? Since you think v30's wil sound better to most people when playing alone.
the V30s are not as tight as the K100s and therefor provide a bit more bass and also more lowmids, which sounds cool when played alone. the K100s are just over the top balanced, i couldnt tell a single outstanding frequency, its just everything there, they are really tight, so i could for example turn in more bass and deep from my amp, which is something i LOVE, and it still stays USEFULL. also they have a VERY nice high-end which isnt as brittle/fizzy as the V30s, but much smoother, so you cut through the band sound without having that ear-piercing treblefest the V30s have when pushed.
dashizzler likes this.
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

ya know, I wish I never found this video. Now I am wanting one of these SEVEN Cabs, to go with my KR7 SEVEN Head.

Or maybe I can just buy 2 of the speakers and install them in one of my cabs...

But then Which cab do i pick apart? My Mesa Traditional 4x12, or the Recto 2x12? (only switch one speaker) or the Marshall Vintage 1960AV?

Or just buy the Rivera SEVEN!
Unread 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
I'd buy 2 and put 'em in the 412. the 212 should have black shadow C90's, which some find preferable for live use (but still prefer V30's in the studio).

that's my

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

TheRiverDragon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
the V30s are not as tight as the K100s and therefor provide a bit more bass and also more lowmids, which sounds cool when played alone. the K100s are just over the top balanced, i couldnt tell a single outstanding frequency, its just everything there, they are really tight, so i could for example turn in more bass and deep from my amp, which is something i LOVE, and it still stays USEFULL. also they have a VERY nice high-end which isnt as brittle/fizzy as the V30s, but much smoother, so you cut through the band sound without having that ear-piercing treblefest the V30s have when pushed.
I have to respectfully disagree here. The V30s have noticably less low-mids than the G12K-100s but more high-mids than those AND they have a lot of bass (or subbass), but for some reason it's tigher. This is my experience in the new Diezel 4x12 frontloaded design. So you can encounter "problems" with a very low-mid oriented amp (like e.g. Diezel Herbert, especially if you use it with 6550 powertubes). But for a Rivera this speakers are a very good choice (if not the best).
TheRiverDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
I'd buy 2 and put 'em in the 412. the 212 should have black shadow C90's, which some find preferable for live use (but still prefer V30's in the studio).

that's my
Actually, they are both V30's in the Recto 2x12
Unread 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Man, I love the snarl of the Vintage 30. This is probably going to end up being my speaker of choice, I like it's midrange character the best. The color it adds to a guitar tone is almost a prerequisite to my liking said tone. The K100 was similar to me, but it was a little too smooth for my taste. The H30 had that weird top end that wouldn't really fit for what I'd be using it for, too vintagey. and the T75 was pretty good. Definitely had a pronouced scoop in the midrange, very different from the Vintage 30. If I had to rank them it'd be:

1. Vintage 30
2. T-75
3. K-100
4. H-30
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brord View Post
On a sidenote, does anybody have any experience with the Electrovoice EVM12L Black Label? The specs look good and I have heard people rave about it, but never had the chance to try 'em.
The Only Label Is Black: EVM12L BlackLabel
I just bought a pair for my oversized 212... should be in sometime next week, so I'll post a review. I've wanted to try them for a long time. I think so few people have heard / used them because they're so expensive ($280 a piece!), but I got an offer I couldn't refuse, and pulled the trigger.

I think it would have been interesting to hear Greenbacks and Eminence Super-Vs next to these 4 speakers. Those are currently my 2 favorites, for different reasons.

I also think it's tough to get a real impression of what these sound like when someone is playing classic rock licks through them, since that's almost as far away from what I'd use them for as it can get (country is the furthest).
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

So i got a bug in me to go to the store today to check out the K-tre and KR7 through a SEVEN Cab loaded with the Mick Thomson speakers (modified K100's??) and started off with the Marshall 1960AV sitting next to it, then to the SEVEN cab.

Yep. It does make quite a difference.

a HUGE difference.

Now it still sounds ok through the V30's, but with the SEVEN Cab everything opens up so much cleared, like taking a blanket off of the speakers, somehow seemed like more gain from the amp (switching to the Marshall was instantly more muddy, and cut back on gain).

I think I might want to order one of these cabs...

but I think I am going to have to sell something...I already have too much!
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #20
The DeRailer

silentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
I just bought a pair for my oversized 212... should be in sometime next week, so I'll post a review. I've wanted to try them for a long time. I think so few people have heard / used them because they're so expensive ($280 a piece!), but I got an offer I couldn't refuse, and pulled the trigger.

I think it would have been interesting to hear Greenbacks and Eminence Super-Vs next to these 4 speakers. Those are currently my 2 favorites, for different reasons.

I also think it's tough to get a real impression of what these sound like when someone is playing classic rock licks through them, since that's almost as far away from what I'd use them for as it can get (country is the furthest).
Looking forward to the review for EVM12L BLs. I have a EVM12L classic on the way, I'd be interested in your findings and how they differ from the classic 12.
silentrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrage View Post
Looking forward to the review for EVM12L BLs. I have a EVM12L classic on the way, I'd be interested in your findings and how they differ from the classic 12.
an EVM12L review would be sick, add some DM and we got a brutal party

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

trippled is a glorious beacon of lighttrippled is a glorious beacon of lighttrippled is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsatemygma View Post
Question is... what speaker did they use to get the EQ setting to be used in this "shoot out"? Or did they just randomly do a quick EQ check before turning the amp on?

No one knows.

If you used a V30 to eq then it'll sound better then the other 3 being recorded. Each speaker has different frequencies being boosted and subdued. So an EQ is going to spotlight the qualities of the speaker and it's clones. So if they eq'ed on a K100, well, it's next similar "twin" will sound good as well.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea but it should of been approached differently. But everything can be done differently.

I think that tweaking the EQ to flat should pretty much give you an idea
of the difference between the speakers without giving any speaker an advantage.

Personally I only liked the V30's.
trippled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
porkshop sammiches

sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.
For the Rivera video, the V30 sounded best to me. It's rock, how can you not use a V30?

It'd be nice if Rivera did a high gain metal video with the same speakers.

ɹıɐ-lǝq pǝllɐɔ uʍoʇ ɐ ɟo ǝɔuıɹd ǝɥʇ ǝɯɐɔǝq ı ʍoɥ noʎ llǝʇ ll,ı
ǝɹǝɥʇ ʇɥƃıɹ ʇıs ʇsnɾ ǝʇnuıɯ ɐ ǝʞɐʇ oʇ ǝʞıl p,ı puɐ
uʍop ǝpısdn pǝuɹnʇ 'pǝddılɟ ʇoƃ ǝɟıl ʎɯ
ʍoɥ ʇnoqɐ llɐ ʎɹoʇs ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ ʍou

OH GOD WHY AM I TELLING YOU THIS - DDDorian
sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

Check it out...
Here's another speaker shootout, a little more in depth...

Kool & Elfring Speaker Comparison
Unread 12-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #25
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
For the Rivera video, the V30 sounded best to me. It's rock, how can you not use a V30?

It'd be nice if Rivera did a high gain metal video with the same speakers.
This proves to me why clips are almost always meaningless. I have the Rivera V30 cab and Rivera K100 cab side by side at my store and every single amp we've ever run through them sounded waaaay better through the K100 one. It's not even close. Much tighter, clearer, punchier, smoother highs, much better performance with high-gain/volume applications, infinitely better cleans. No harsh top end or boomy/loose lows.

In real life when you can really experience both cabs it's night and day. Not even close guys. V30s are blues/classic rock speakers. They're alright but honestly there's way better stuff out there IMO.

Honestly, I can't stress it enough: 99% of clips are worthless and misleading. The only way to really know is use your own gear, try them out, and see the difference. There are an infinite amount of variables that come into play with clips, especially amateur ones, which make it a very unreliable way to make a judgment. Its very easy to make any piece of gear sound terrible or great in a recording environment.

Anyways, in my experience getting to routinely "A/B" these, there is NO contest. I've yet to hear an amp that didn't sound dramatically better with K100s than V30s, especially at gigging volumes.

The Axe Palace <-- Dealer for: BKP, DiMarzio, Ibanez, Mayones, ENGL, Diezel, Orange, Fryette, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Vigier, Dean, Parker, Flaxwood, G&L, Schecter and many more.

NEW WEBSITE IS NOW LIVE: www.axepalace.com

zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote