homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Gear & Equipment
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Gear & Equipment Discussions on Racks, Amps, Cabinets, Tube vs. Solid State debates, effects processors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the best portable gigging amp?

Hi, my friend is wanting to put a band together and start gigging. He is pretty against getting a tube amp and just wants something that sounds good and is easy to lug around. I've suggested the early Made in England Valvestated combos which can be had for about $150. I have the 8100 head and I love it! I figure he get the 1x12 80 watt combo version and change the speaker and he'll have everything he needs. I played a Marshall lead 20 today and that was pretty kickass too. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, my friend is into rock and blues along the lines of 90's music.
obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Carvin SX100 or one of the many Peavey USA-made TransTube 1x12's like the Bandit.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
SS Contributor

Ostia Man is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A pod, power amp and a small cab(1x12,2x12) will probably sound better than most transistor combos
Ostia Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
God is dad

Sang-Drax is a glorious beacon of lightSang-Drax is a glorious beacon of lightSang-Drax is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostia Man View Post
A pod, power amp and a small cab(1x12,2x12) will probably sound better than most transistor combos
+1 to that.. though I'm not sure if a pod will be the best choice for rock/blues. I keep repeating this over and over: Opeth gets a huge tone live from a Boss GT-8 running through the power section of whatever tube amp is available (usually Laney; when they gigged in Brazil they used Marshall JVM's, if I'm not mistaken). Though it's a metal band, they do have a very warm and organic tone.

In fact, I'm almost selling my own tube amp and pod for a GT-8 and a poweramp myself. I need to save some money and this way I don't think I'd compromise my tone so much (provided I can dial a nice tone out of the gt, obviously).

On the other hand, though still a tube amp, a Mesa F-30 combo has some amazing rock tones and seems quite portable unless it's made of iridium or something like that. I've no idea of how much do they cost, though.

My signal path: Gibson LP Studio > TS-9 > Lifesound Horizon (Dual Recto + Fender Bassman clone) > POD X3 Live (loop, fx only) > Lifesound custom 2x12" loaded with Eminence Legends

I started smoking when I was 13 or 14, I smoke a pack a day now an I wish I could go back in time an kick my own ass. - matt397

After I had surgery and was still drugged I said "Now that you've been inside of me I suppose you won't be calling me back either." - IDLE
Sang-Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you guys serious? I have pod 2.0 and I could never get along with it live. It is decent for dialing in tones to do at home demos but maybe the newer models are less digital sounding.

Opeth is one of my favorite bands but I mainly like their guitar tones off of the albums rather than live. On their latest dvd the sound is atrocious. Totally sterile sounding and over-processed to hell not to mention their horrible clean tone. Personally, I prefer the tones from the MAYH and Still Life records. They used the 5150 amps back then with pedals and got a lot warmer tones. Just compare them to Blackwater Park. The tone is good for what it is but it definitely could've been better imho.

If you want to go digital, I have a GT-6 that I'm looking to trade or sell if you're interested. I initially purchased it to see what all the hype was about with metal bands using them and I thought I might eventually incorporate effects into my music but I prefer the stripped down sound of good ss and tube amps.
obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #6

kazE is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
+1 for the Peavey Bandit 112.

I just picked one up while waiting for my 6505+ to come back from FJA and let me say, with an OD this thing sounds fantastic. Plus it has a bunch of nice features: FX loop, 8omhs output, 25/50/100 power switching, loose/medium/tight switch and cab-simulated direct out for headphones/recording.

I don't think you can do much better for under $300.

BTW: I believe the Envoy 110 is essentially the same thing, just slightly smaller and cheaper.
kazE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I played the Carvin SX100 for several months in my old prog rock band and it sounded pretty good both clean and distorted. The thing also weighed almost nothing, my Mark IIC+ is smaller but weighs at least 3 times as much as the Carvin did
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote