homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Site Updates & Support > Feedback & Suggestions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Feedback & Suggestions Have a suggestion for the site? Post it here. Note that while all suggestions will be considered, not all will be replied to.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By elq
  • 1 Post By Sephael
  • 1 Post By Alberto7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How to best encourage doing searches? (and no, I have no suggestions!)

We've all seen subjects get posted where it's clear that someone didn't search, and sometimes that they didn't even read the topic titles for the day before repeating that same topic. Does anyone have a creative solution to encourage people to actually look and search before hitting that "New Topic!" button?

I know that the owner/mods could come up with a rule, to which anyone joining would to agree, that they'll do at least a cursory search under threat of the Ban Hammer... but is there a way to lead people to do the right thing to begin with?

Generally, I'll post the SearchFirst animated gif, and then some links to where a subject has already been raised and discussed thoroughly, but I'm hoping someone has something better by which the more experienced users could encourage excellence from the newer members.

Thoughts?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
elq
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
one off the cuff idea - change the forum software to conduct a search for the thread title before starting a new thread - show the submitter the list of found posts but allow them to post anyway.

Or, if a there is a url present in the body of the first post, search for that too.
thedarkoceans likes this.
elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Or even just at the top of the 'New Thread' page, just a simple header or something saying make sure you've searched prior to posting a new thread, it won't guarantee a stop, but it could cut down numbers. also the default text for the thread header could be set to "make a search first".

Edit: For Example.. (Paint FTW!)

Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Divine Paradøx

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a feeling the header would lead to a rash of posts titled "Have you searched yet" in every section.

Maybe we just ignore the threads asking the same question as another post on the first page of that section.
thedarkoceans likes this.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They have a pretty damn good function in Gearslutz.com. Every time you try make a thread, the site searches automatically for similar threads and shows them to you. This must be pretty hard to code however.
Kurkkuviipale is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
That's just a vB plugin. It's dodgy at times, so a lot of us (admins) don't use it. This is really just always going to be an issue on any forum you go to. The best "advice" that I can give is as a forum poster, always try to be articulate with your wording, and if you have a problem, post about it, and then solve it on your own - do the right thing and come back and post up the solution.

It will save someone else a headache down the road.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
why not just make it so that you have to have a minimum post count before you can post new threads, similar to the classifieds subforum?
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
This is obvoius to many, but trying to summerize the search subject in one word narrows the field considerably.
Sure you'll still have to weed through all the threads that pop up, but it's often way better than you'll get with a search of a short phrase.

For example, if I search "good metal overdrive", every thread that posseses the word metal, overdrive, and good will pop up.
If I search for "overdrive" and just weed through the greatly reduced number of related threads, it saves time and works better.

I constantly read guys saying they pre-searched before starting thread, only to conduct my own one-word search and find immediate success.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
I really like using Google when I have to find things with more than one search term. Using the example of "good metal overdrive" or "best metal overdrive" combined with "site:sevenstring.org" gets only one or two main topics.

I joyfully welcome our new search engine overlords.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
SS Contributor

Spaceman_Spiff is a name known to allSpaceman_Spiff is a name known to allSpaceman_Spiff is a name known to allSpaceman_Spiff is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I really like using Google when I have to find things with more than one search term. Using the example of "good metal overdrive" or "best metal overdrive" combined with "site:sevenstring.org" gets only one or two main topics.

Google and quotation marks is how I always conduct searches for stuff on this site. It's definitely the best way in my opinion.

"You took the best thing about natural finished guitar bodies and applied it to the neck.
I'd compare it to dipping solid chocolate into chocolate mousse, having a lucid dream within a dream,
receiving fellatio while having sex, producing energy while burning no fuel.
You sir are a genius.'' - in-pursuit

"Parker PM 10 trade?" - JackWilliamBellow
Spaceman_Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

That Google functionality is possibly the sole reason why I very rarely post any new threads
rectifryer likes this.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

Velixo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-pursuit View Post
why not just make it so that you have to have a minimum post count before you can post new threads, similar to the classifieds subforum?
That could get annoying and render the forum non-user-friendly for new members.

Also, wouldn't searching for a similar thread when you try to create a new thread make creating a new thread really slow with the load times? (I'm sorry if I'm completely wrong, I don't know alot about the mechanics of creating/managing websites)
Velixo is offline   Reply With Quote