homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Site Updates & Support > Feedback & Suggestions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Feedback & Suggestions Have a suggestion for the site? Post it here. Note that while all suggestions will be considered, not all will be replied to.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Grande puta de gear!

8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Isn't peoples opinion worth a shit here anymore?

I will probably get smacked in the face with the almighty ban-hammer for posting this, but here goes.

In the last year or so there's been a tendency (imo) to strike down on completely harmless threads and people who just speak their minds on this forum.
I am sick and tired of logging in here just to see another djent/agile rules thread with no substance or discussion around it.
Where are the mods? Did you leave the house or just plain give up? How many mods are there? can't more be appointed? Where's the site-owner?

threads get closed for not using the search function, but the search sucks. Then the necro bumps get closed just for being necro bumps and not even a word explaining why.
I know this place has grown beyond all sence, and it's great to get new faces in, but a lot of of the newcomers need to be taught the ways of SS. When their thread gets closed, they get confused and pissed off and starts whining and eventually they get banned.
And there's the thing about certain people coming across as power-hungry a-holes when that happens.

Oligarchy of mods or not, at least be open to suggestions instead of this "we know best, shut it!" attitude.
There's ....ing metric tons of people here that are assets to this forum.

Get off the high horse

mmmmmh... djent pie
Balsawood 7, the way of life
"Solos and indeed, life, are not complete without the use of melodic minor arpeggios on a daily basis." - Confucius
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
And bring back the inspirational posters thread!
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8string View Post
Get off the high horse

This thread + this sentence = utter irony. Gotta love the "I know, I'll call 'em out!! That'll show 'em!" threads...

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

Unread 02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Grande puta de gear!

8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold
This wasn't supposed to be a "I know, I'll call 'em out" thread. It's just me being frustrated about seeing this site slowly going to hell.

And some people are on a high horse, and need to get off it

mmmmmh... djent pie
"Solos and indeed, life, are not complete without the use of melodic minor arpeggios on a daily basis." - Confucius
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Honestly, if you have to ask these questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8string
Where are the mods? Did you leave the house or just plain give up? How many mods are there? can't more be appointed? Where's the site-owner?
Then perhaps you should find the answers before posting an inflammatory thread like this.

Every time I've PM'd a mod about those things you've discussed (thread closers, bans, etc) they've offered a well formulated opinion that makes sense.
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 136 reviews
Quote:
I will probably get smacked in the face with the almighty ban-hammer for posting this, but here goes.
No you won't.
Quote:
In the last year or so there's been a tendency (imo) to strike down on completely harmless threads and people who just speak their minds on this forum.
Quote:
I am sick and tired of logging in here just to see another djent/agile rules thread with no substance or discussion around it.
Few mods are here but we're growing tired of all this drama/crap. We can do so much more but then we become douche bags on high horses who are all on power trips. Either you let us do what we do and not ....ing complain or complain and we won't do shit.

The admin is rarely if ever on here and has stripped the mods of all our powers.

Quote:
threads get closed for not using the search function, but the search sucks.
Use the link in my thread - it uses Google to search this forum.

Quote:
Then the necro bumps get closed just for being necro bumps and not even a word explaining why.
Necro bumps are closed cuz they are usually pointless. We used to have a system on here that told the poster how old the thread was and when the last post was but it's been gone for a long time.

Quote:
And there's the thing about certain people coming across as power-hungry a-holes when that happens.
Double edge sword for the mods on that one. We can go all out and delete every useless thread, every retarded/reported comment but then we'd only be censoring the forum, pleasing only a few, and not appreciated at all. Or if we don't do anything then we get the usual call out thread from people who think they know better.

Quote:
Oligarchy of mods or not, at least be open to suggestions instead of this "we know best, shut it!" attitude.
Suggestions are appreciated if properly suggested. Once you become a dick and start attacking one of us they fall on deaf ears.

Quote:
Get off the high horse
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post
This thread + this sentence = utter irony. Gotta love the "I know, I'll call 'em out!! That'll show 'em!" threads...

Things are pretty simple to be honest...

1) if you're an asshole that's being obnoxious to other users, you will get banned
2) unless you have something worth adding, don't bump ancient threads ("wow this is cool" is NOT something worth adding)
3) you can use Google to search the site ffs, it's not that hard
4) if you're a guitar builder selling instruments, post in the dealer section for build threads etc etc
5) if you don't like it, go whine on mg.org and slag this place while saying how wonderful it is when posting here (it's what all the cool kids are doing )

Given we've had a massive influx of ....tards too stupid to post a thread in the correct section, much less spell correctly, and a forum owner who just plain doesn't care I'd say the mods are doing a reasonable job

I will agree the Agile Support Forum threads are a bit annoying, but given it's people asking questions, and you're against threads being closed etc etc what exactly do you think should be done about it?

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
This wasn't supposed to be a "I know, I'll call 'em out" thread. It's just me being frustrated about seeing this site slowly going to hell.
Again, you might not think you're doing it, but you are. The whole "round up the posse, Hoss, I'm going to express how mad I am with how this place is run!" threads are ....ing retarded and POINTLESS. If you're really that angry with how the place is being run, go elsewhere. How many times has that been done in the past few months? Couple times... and the users doing it always look like assholes because calling out the moderators publicly is a shitty thing to do. Period.

Quote:
And some people are on a high horse, and need to get off it
I'm thinking it's you right now demanding that things be changed and that opinions on how the site should be run are up to you. If you didn't feel that way, you would have done the polite/proper thing and PM'd a mod or two to express your feelings and see how they felt. Doing it publicly will a) probably annoy the current mods and b) openly shows your dissent for the staff.

Unread 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Grande puta de gear!

Quote:
Again, you might not think you're doing it, but you are. The whole "round up the posse, Hoss, I'm going to express how mad I am with how this place is run!" threads are ....ing retarded and POINTLESS. If you're really that angry with how the place is being run, go elsewhere. How many times has that been done in the past few months? Couple times... and the users doing it always look like assholes because calling out the moderators publicly is a shitty thing to do. Period.
guess i'm an asshole then.

Quote:
I'm thinking it's you right now demanding that things be changed and that opinions on how the site should be run are up to you. If you didn't feel that way, you would have done the polite/proper thing and PM'd a mod or two to express your feelings and see how they felt. Doing it publicly will a) probably annoy the current mods and b) openly shows your dissent for the staff.
I'm not "demanding" anything, but I'm open to suggestion.
a) if the mods get annoyed, so be it. I'm only trying to express myself(poorly from the looks of it)
b) how does it show my dissent? dicussion in public is what a community is all about isn't it?

And that high horse comment struck me in the back of my head like a boomerang... I realised what i wrote 2 secs after posting. but it was too late to edit

Oh, and I do use google to search this site.

mmmmmh... djent pie
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Cold As Ice

Quote:
I'm not "demanding" anything, but I'm open to suggestion.
a) if the mods get annoyed, so be it. I'm only trying to express myself(poorly from the looks of it)
b) how does it show my dissent? dicussion in public is what a community is all about isn't it?

YOU'RE open to suggestion? Are you running the forum now? Again, it's comments like that which are not helping your cause. The fact that you started a thread pointing fingers at the mods and how things are run reflrects poorly on you. Again as has been stated to you three times now, and the mods have said this MANY times before so if you've been viewing all these shut down threads etc., the best way to raise your concerns as to how the forum is being run to their attention is via a direct PM rather than a thread which more often than not will be taken in an inflammatory fashion as this one is.

As for b) above, discussion of the rules or how you feel the mods (and I quote) "left the house or just plain gave up" is again something better suited to asking them directly rather than an open note to the forum. The purpose of this forum is meant for discussion of gear/music, not whether or not you feel the rules suit your views.

Unread 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Guitar Comrade

HammerAndSickle is just really niceHammerAndSickle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I really have no issue either way, there's always the "mg.org is better than ss.org" bullshit but since I mostly lurk I don't care at all. The one thing I never understood was necroposting is not allowed, yet posting new threads without searching isn't allowed, so if someone were to want to discuss something there's literally no way to do so without SOMEONE being a rules nazi and bitching at you. I find it oftentimes isn't the mods doing this, but self-appointed rules police saying things like "old thread?" or "search next time"
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Cold As Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerAndSickle View Post
I really have no issue either way, there's always the "mg.org is better than ss.org" bullshit but since I mostly lurk I don't care at all. The one thing I never understood was necroposting is not allowed, yet posting new threads without searching isn't allowed, so if someone were to want to discuss something there's literally no way to do so without SOMEONE being a rules nazi and bitching at you. I find it oftentimes isn't the mods doing this, but self-appointed rules police saying things like "old thread?" or "search next time"
The necroposting issue is not a problem if a thread makes sense to bump and the reason behind it was the person bumping ADDING something to the thread. The 4 year old thread bumps just saying "WOW THAT IS COOL!" are what usually get smacked down, and necrobumping an OT thread that died long ago is another one that is annoying. Since it has become clear that the admin is not planning on upping the amount of bandwidth we get and we have run out at least 3 times in the past year before the month ended, does it make sense for people to keep bumping shit that contributes NOTHING to the real purpose of the forum? That's why the mods get mad when people keep bumping threads in a pointless manner.

Unread 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerAndSickle View Post
The one thing I never understood was necroposting is not allowed, yet posting new threads without searching isn't allowed, so if someone were to want to discuss something there's literally no way to do so without SOMEONE being a rules nazi and bitching at you. I find it oftentimes isn't the mods doing this, but self-appointed rules police saying things like "old thread?" or "search next time"
This. I'm more annoyed by people bitching about thread bumps without even the thread than anything else. People complain about it regardless of whether the bumper had a valid reason to do so or not - they see the thread date and start screaming BUMP INB4DALOCK and whatever chance the thread had of being legitimately resurrected dies. I'm not saying everyone does that, or even that everyone notices because many people don't, but people just seem to wanna bitch no matter what happens so it's a bit of a lose/lose.

ss.org on Twitter
ss.org on Facebook

Yeah, a lot of people are bugging their babies these days... I guess babies can't be trusted.
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
Guitar Comrade

HammerAndSickle is just really niceHammerAndSickle is just really nice
It's a problem on many online communities, I think. Nobody wants a million new threads that have already been asked, but they also don't want a bunch of old threads bumped up, right? So ban em both, solves the problem. Until someone wants to discuss something that's covered by an old topic, then they're caught in the Catch-22.
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
What people need to understand is that many of the people who bump these threads or start topics we've discussed ad-nauseum without searching find the site when searching Google and sign up for the express purpose of asking a specific question - whining at them to follow the rules doesn't work because they don't wanna contribute to the forum in any real way, they signed up to ask their question and then never post again. I'm not saying it isn't a pain in the arse to see the same topics all the goddamn time but it can't be stopped, just heavily moderated, and to be blunt there's so much shit to do around here that I don't spend nearly as much time pruning repeat threads than I could.

ss.org on Twitter
ss.org on Facebook

Yeah, a lot of people are bugging their babies these days... I guess babies can't be trusted.
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Bollocks

Aysakh is a glorious beacon of lightAysakh is a glorious beacon of lightAysakh is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't think we have a problem at all here . All of the threads that get bumped for legitamate reasons tend to stay open until they invariably degenerate into an off-topic shit storm. (Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against off-topic shit storms, they have a place, and necrothreads are not that place.

Edit: or at least a visible problem; I know the mods have to deal with a lot of stuff we don't see.

I know coming from me this will sound funny and all..but you can't really confuse super glue with lube. - DrakkarTyrannis

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1041377

Unread 02-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

Get off the high horse
Really now?
Unread 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

Well I can only speak for myself but if I come across as hostile about this then I apologise. This is something I get PM's about all the time and it's frustrating to try to deal with something that's not mostly beyond our control. I don't mind people discussing/questioning mod actions/policies with me privately or publically - I'm just some hack with a blue account, what the .... do I know? - but this particular issue is one that never stops and paradoxically that means it tends to get the least attention.

Again, there are ways to deal with some of these issues that require admin skills but our admin has the tendency to not give a shit about anything, ever.

ss.org on Twitter
ss.org on Facebook

Closed Thread