homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

vontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb The Harpejji: Awesome Tapping piano/guitar instrument

Hey,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this. This is the Harpejji, a relatively new instrument designed to be played like a piano, but with the tone of a guitar. Kinda like a stick on a flat, wider fingerboard. An amazing instrument IMO, and of course, Jordan Rudess has one. . I just thought I'd share.

enjoy
vontetzianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Wow... that's really fascinating!
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice, very interesting instrument
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
that's awesome! looks like something i'd have a hard time wrapping my head around though :P

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
That's amazing, would be cool if god used it in the next Dream Theater album
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
SS Contributor

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I could imagine him using one on an album if he muted somehow and ran it with some distortion. He and and Petrucci are always trying to find novel ways of trying to match their sounds.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
that was awesome
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Banned

daemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to behold
that's interesting and really creative.
daemon barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats sick.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
now imagine that with a midi pickup and midi out

seriously though, i would love to have that thing, though i assume it'd cost me more than i can cough up :P

this video has me sold! :P

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony

Last edited by MF_Kitten; 06-02-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

vontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to behold
I was quite keen on sourcing one until I saw the price tag... over $3500 for one, but they are very cool instruments.
Unread 06-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #12
This is bat country

Raoul Duke is just really niceRaoul Duke is just really nice
Damn! GAS for one of them is rising ha ha

They sound pretty awesome, pity about the price tag

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

More vids:

Unread 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
First the Continuum, now this. I can't wait until Jordan Rudess just starts playing a Stick.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
ERG/ERB Builder

Tom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
I think he does have a Stick, everyone else in the band has one.

The harpejji is really cool. There is another cool instrument called the Kelstone that is very unique and made for several different approaches like tapping, sliding, plucking strumming slapping...you get the picture. One cool thing about the Harpejji is that it has an electric string muting system similar to Dave Bunkers that he uses on his tapping guitars. Very nice indeed.
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Jordan Rudess is so incredibly creative and tasteful. I'm not sure if the rest of his band has the latter quality.
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
Jordan Rudess is so incredibly creative and tasteful. I'm not sure if the rest of his band has the latter quality.
I think you have it exactly backwards.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Seventh Son

RXTN is a glorious beacon of lightRXTN is a glorious beacon of lightRXTN is a glorious beacon of light
Im so getting this one.... someday, it will be mine.... oh yes
RXTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #19
TMM
UUDDLRLRBAStart

TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.TMM is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 59 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post
I think you have it exactly backwards.
I know I'll probably catch some backfire from this, but...

saying Petrucci generally plays tastefully, at least in DT (he has his moments, like a lot of the stuff he did with just JR on their "A Night With..." album), is like saying he generally plays too few notes per second. Sure, he's fast, clean, and very skilled, but too many of his parts sound like guitar exercises to me, rather than useful, relevant guitar pieces. Maybe it's due to some expectation that he / the band have that every album should just be technically more difficult and complex than the last, but I feel they've progressively been less interesting to listen to. I've never liked James' vocals, at all - they sound very Broadway to me. For me, DT wouldn't be listenable without JR, and in some cases barely is even with him due to the vocals.

I know I left Portnoy and Myung out of this assessment, and I generally think they're pretty damn good. I was thinking of it from a guitar / keyboard / vocals perspective.
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #20
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I'm going the be the dissenter here, but I think that thing sounds like utter hell.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
droooooneeeeeeeee!

phaeded0ut is just really nicephaeded0ut is just really nice
Wow! Thanks for sharing this beastie. It looks like it takes a little less finger pressure than a Stick, and I have to admit, that I like the fact that it looks a bit more intuitive, too. Getting used to 5ths (low) and 4ths (high) used to drive me crazy when first getting into the instrument. Would love to know more of the differences between the different models. Doesn't look to be too terribly priced either. Sustain is still going to be an issue without effects.

"All the World's a stage, ... and the rest is Vaudeville..."
-Allan Moore
phaeded0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

harpejji will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
I'm going the be the dissenter here, but I think that thing sounds like utter hell.
Many of the older videos had poor audio quality. Check out this newer one where the harpejji is "sitting in" on an acoustic 6-string part:

harpejji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpejji View Post
Many of the older videos had poor audio quality. Check out this newer one where the harpejji is "sitting in" on an acoustic 6-string part:

Thanks for the response!

I'm glad the instrument was developed. I love exploring new possibilities (as both a keyboard player for 14 years, and guitarist). While the audio quality and the tone of the instrument is much more improved in the clip, I feel the issue lies in the nature of the tone itself: Tapping on fretted string instruments are very one-dimensional in terms of the dynamics.

I personally find the attack to be plasticky, unorganic, and a touch harsh. The mono-dynamic range wears out the ear rapidly, and shaping the sound with dynamics a la the piano isn't possible. There simply isn't a foreground, mid, and background.

To me, it removes the dynamic (and musical) benefits of a picked instrument for the sake of greater pitch range and control. The sound reminds me of various VST guitar emulations I've tried.

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on this.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #24
Grande puta de gear!

8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold8string is a splendid one to behold
I think that is one pretty cool instrument, sounds like a cross between a harp and a guitar. as for the dynamics, it kinda looks like he slapped a bunch of strings on a sheet of plywood, so unplugged it would sound like shit. I wonder if it's possible to use an expression pedal to adjust the attack feature of it, that would bring out way more possibilities. It also seems like you barely have to press down on the string to get sound and it would be easy to mask the fret clicking that way. If I could get my hands on one i would most certainly bring it home and abuse the hell out of it. It's like the bebot synth for iphone, sounds cool and is damn inspirational.
Hmmm, wonder if i can mod one of those drawing boards for the pc to work with a softsynth...

mmmmmh... djent pie
Balsawood 7, the way of life
"Solos and indeed, life, are not complete without the use of melodic minor arpeggios on a daily basis." - Confucius
8string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
...While the audio quality and the tone of the instrument is much more improved in the clip, I feel the issue lies in the nature of the tone itself: Tapping on fretted string instruments are very one-dimensional in terms of the dynamics.

I personally find the attack to be plasticky, unorganic, and a touch harsh. The mono-dynamic range wears out the ear rapidly, and shaping the sound with dynamics a la the piano isn't possible. There simply isn't a foreground, mid, and background.

To me, it removes the dynamic (and musical) benefits of a picked instrument for the sake of greater pitch range and control.
I'm not looking to be an apologist for the sound in that particular soundclip, especially since I'm not associated with it or the instrument in any way, but I've noticed that a lot of folks who play touchstyle use a lot of compression to even out their sound. That's unfortunate, because it seems like a lot of players are interested in just straight-ahead Levin/Gunn rapidfire rhythm.

However, regardless of the wash of delay over this next example, there is a definite amount of dynamic expression in this clip.

Having been playing more touchstyle eight-string recently, I make use of dynamics. Since all my strings are going through the same pickups, instead of having the separation of bass and treble like many dedicated touchstyle instruments, I have to use dynamics to separate voices, or to bring out a single voice in the midst of chords.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the Harpejji, and touchstyle instruments in general, can make use of dynamics. It just doesn't seem to be very common....
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote