homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Banned

∆xitosus has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8 string trem?

in this pic, do I spy some weird floyd-rose like trem system?

or if not, does anyone make one?

please, don't tell me if this is a repeat thread. I did not find any other thread that gave me the info I was looking for
∆xitosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This...

Its not a tremolo but it looks like one....

hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ......... View Post
This...

Its not a tremolo but it looks like one....

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...c%20Guitar.jpg
huh...they had to make it look so similar
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
No probably to keep the production prices lower since they already mount floyd parts on other Guitars...

They probably came up with a deal with floyd....

I had to repair one of those Ibanez recently, the bridge pulled off lol
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
H8ing Non Shermans

eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/eelblack2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Kahler 2318 is an 8 string trem.

Welcome to Kahler USA 2007
eelblack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ......... View Post
No probably to keep the production prices lower since they already mount floyd parts on other Guitars...

They probably came up with a deal with floyd....

I had to repair one of those Ibanez recently, the bridge pulled off lol
yea thats why i got the ESP 8 string
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
^ No kidding. I played the Ibby 8 at NAMM (unplugged of course) and it felt cheap...I played one at guitar center 2 days ago plugged in and it sounded like shit IMO no bite what so ever. I'm thinking the battery was dead cause I've never heard EMG's sound that bad ever. Still that low F# felt like spaghetti even with the big gauge and 27in scale.
MTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech View Post
^ No kidding. I played the Ibby 8 at NAMM (unplugged of course) and it felt cheap...I played one at guitar center 2 days ago plugged in and it sounded like shit IMO no bite what so ever. I'm thinking the battery was dead cause I've never heard EMG's sound that bad ever. Still that low F# felt like spaghetti even with the big gauge and 27in scale.

the F# feels a little light on my guitar too, but I don't think I have a high enough gauge string for it.

as for the EMGs on the ibby, that would be my best guess. for 1500 dollars they wouldnt make a guitar that always sounded like shit, and meshuggah definitely would not play on one
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆xitosus View Post
the F# feels a little light on my guitar too, but I don't think I have a high enough gauge string for it.

as for the EMGs on the ibby, that would be my best guess. for 1500 dollars they wouldnt make a guitar that always sounded like shit, and meshuggah definitely would not play on one
GC had one used mint and want $1499 for it....

Meshuggah don't play on it though, they play customs plus they have a bigger neck as well. Which is exactly my point, when they debuted this thing at NAMM Dino was walking around trying to check things out and told people they needed a 7 like his so he had something comparable to try the amps with. I asked him why he didn't get the one up from Ibby and he said "that one is a piece of shit I'd never play on one of the production models"
Hence why i can't stand companies who build completely different stuff for artists instead of putting out the same quality for everybody.
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:

Meshuggah don't play on it though, they play customs plus they have a bigger neck as well. Which is exactly my point, when they debuted this thing at NAMM Dino was walking around trying to check things out and told people they needed a 7 like his so he had something comparable to try the amps with. I asked him why he didn't get the one up from Ibby and he said "that one is a piece of shit I'd never play on one of the production models"
Hence why i can't stand companies who build completely different stuff for artists instead of putting out the same quality for everybody.
wow...i did not know that. good thing I didn't get that
i also hate it that Ibanez only makes custom guitars for endorsees, not anyone who has a nice chunk of change. That really pisses me off because I wanted to make a custom ibby so bad a while back and did my research to find out they are all just cheap-ass whores.
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

They do that. Have you heard of J-customs? And you know why not every single guitar is like that? Because it's insanely expensive. The average guitar player probably doesn't want to set down $3,000 on a guitar, so by making all your guitars expensive you get virtually no business. By making some really nice guitars that the collectors who ARE willing to drop that much money into guitars and making production models they get to stay in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Æxitosus View Post
wow...i did not know that. good thing I didn't get that
i also hate it that Ibanez only makes custom guitars for endorsees, not anyone who has a nice chunk of change. That really pisses me off because I wanted to make a custom ibby so bad a while back and did my research to find out they are all just cheap-ass japanese whores. (nothing against asians)
Go to RAN then, they'll make you anything.

The guitar business is just that: a business. Companies have to stay aloft, or they're not making money. And guess what? A lot of people can't afford to put down a substantial amount of money on a guitar. Plus, if Ibby opened the LACS, the quality would probably go down, and there would be a waiting list of probably... Oh, ten years or so. Why? Look at Blackmachine. 4 year waiting list. How many people do you think are buying those? Not many. How many people would buy LACS ibby's? Not many, but a hell of a lot more than Blackmachines.

And BTW, where did the "cheap-ass japanese whores" comment come from? You mean a company didn't bow down to your standards and make you your perfect instrument, and instead they made a carefully-thought out business decision? Oh no. That's terrible.

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Dusty201087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty201087 View Post
They do that. Have you heard of J-customs? And you know why not every single guitar is like that? Because it's insanely expensive. The average guitar player probably doesn't want to set down $3,000 on a guitar, so by making all your guitars expensive you get virtually no business. By making some really nice guitars that the collectors who ARE willing to drop that much money into guitars and making production models they get to stay in business.
J customs are not the same and as for the "business" that's all stuff I know but the fact I was more getting at is the specs are different.. I can see doing production run guitars to keep costs down, but make them to the same spec as the artist... (use mahogany/alder/ash not basswood for everything or for instance I noticed a lot in early 2000 that many artists customs were 26 1/4 scale yet the ones built for public were 25.5 much like the RG8 being 27 vs meshuggah being 30.5 .. they could've at least compensated and made it 28.75 or something.
Unread 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Needs moar Gear.....

BlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud of
drama drama.

the 2228 i played was exactly the same as the one mentioned before. fart tone and a floppy f# , really made me a sad panda cause the LTD FM-408 was like 90% better with a 25"5 scale and a thicker neck....
BlindingLight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
J customs are not the same and as for the "business" that's all stuff I know but the fact I was more getting at is the specs are different.. I can see doing production run guitars to keep costs down, but make them to the same spec as the artist... (use mahogany/alder/ash not basswood for everything or for instance I noticed a lot in early 2000 that many artists customs were 26 1/4 scale yet the ones built for public were 25.5 much like the RG8 being 27 vs meshuggah being 30.5 .. they could've at least compensated and made it 28.75 or something.
Making everything not basswood would increase costs, but I agree I would like to see some more tone woods in Ibanez's production line.

Once again, making it 28.75 scale would raise production costs and at the same time many guys moving from a 6-7 string with a length like 24 3/4 and 25.5" would probably not want to move all the way to a 28-30". Now a lot of people who do their research will know that the longer scale length will sound a lot better, but people who do their research are (sadly) the minority

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Unread 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
DO CEO / RHLC ©

AeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to behold
IIRC there were two members here, one that went to the ABM factory and talked them about 8 string trems and they said it would be very possible, and other one (The Keitlin Guitars owner) that was designing a trem for his own customs...dunno what happened after that

Product of my boreness:
https://soundcloud.com/aeonsolus

AeonSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Kenyon class of 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonSolus View Post
IIRC there were two members here, one that went to the ABM factory and talked them about 8 string trems and they said it would be very possible, and other one (The Keitlin Guitars owner) that was designing a trem for his own customs...dunno what happened after that
I believe Lee has a 8 string LACS made for Rusty Cooley when he was with Ibanez, and it has a floating trem on it. Not sure how it performs, but Lee seems to be the type who will answer a few questions

Never heard anything about Keitlin guitars doing an 8 string floating bridge (I have no reason to doubt you though) but I know there was something about Mike Sherman making one. I think they were only going to be featured on his guitars though, not something you could buy and retrofit your guitar for.

Unread 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #17
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Manne Guitars makes these which are pretty sweet.

http://www.manne.com/pict/ponte8g.jpg
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
I believe Lee has a 8 string LACS made for Rusty Cooley when he was with Ibanez, and it has a floating trem on it. Not sure how it performs, but Lee seems to be the type who will answer a few questions :yesway
He said over on mg.org it worked quite well, though the feel was obviously different than a sixer... but not heavy in action, and fluttered like a mutherfucher.

Quote:
Mine does not sound bad at all! It's much warmer and rounder than my all maple Synapse, so that poses problems for me when I switch off guitars, to the point where I'm tweaking my settings. But, with heavier strings on it, it's plenty articulate and leads/cleans are wonderfully warm on it even if it isn't as tight sounding as the 28.625" Steiny.

Last edited by Variant; 04-27-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:

Go to RAN then, they'll make you anything.

The guitar business is just that: a business. Companies have to stay aloft, or they're not making money. And guess what? A lot of people can't afford to put down a substantial amount of money on a guitar. Plus, if Ibby opened the LACS, the quality would probably go down, and there would be a waiting list of probably... Oh, ten years or so. Why? Look at Blackmachine. 4 year waiting list. How many people do you think are buying those? Not many. How many people would buy LACS ibby's? Not many, but a hell of a lot more than Blackmachines.

And BTW, where did the "cheap-ass japanese whores" comment come from? You mean a company didn't bow down to your standards and make you your perfect instrument, and instead they made a carefully-thought out business decision? Oh no. That's terrible.
i think they are a big enough company where they would be able to keep the production models and the custom shop seperate. I mean, how does ESP do it? my friend custom made a guitar with them (for like 6000 dollars though) but I own an ESP that is one of the best guitars I have ever played.

oh, and the neg rep wasn't necessary, even though it looks like i've been collecting it the last week or 2
Unread 04-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Making everything not basswood would increase costs, but I agree I would like to see some more tone woods in Ibanez's production line.

Once again, making it 28.75 scale would raise production costs and at the same time many guys moving from a 6-7 string with a length like 24 3/4 and 25.5" would probably not want to move all the way to a 28-30". Now a lot of people who do their research will know that the longer scale length will sound a lot better, but people who do their research are (sadly) the minority
Think about it though.. standard guitar is 24 3/4 or 25.5 there's lots of guys who complain about the Low B at 25.5 so they have the baritone to get that tighter and for lower tunings...so that in mind going clear to F# most guys are doing it to have low notes not tuning up so they want it audible an don't mud... I don't see 1.75 inches throwing off product costs after all the markup on their guitars is quite a bit that they could absorb the maybe $20 more it'd cost. You're right now everybody does their research..and I'm not expert on 8's which is why I love reading informative posts on this forum about scales and proper tensions etc.. the more I read the more it doesn't make sense to only do 27 and playing on one the other day just backed that up audibly and by the feel.
Unread 04-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #21
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
i think they are a big enough company where they would be able to keep the production models and the custom shop seperate. I mean, how does ESP do it? my friend custom made a guitar with them (for like 6000 dollars though) but I own an ESP that is one of the best guitars I have ever played.

oh, and the neg rep wasn't necessary, even though it looks like i've been collecting it the last week or 2
The way Ibanez is set-up is very different from the way that ESP is set-up. Ibanez doesn't technically own any of it's factories, and all the different factories that produce Ibanez guitars are separate entities. While, ESP actually owns the production facilities.

Basically in order to open a custom shop, either located in USA or Japan, Ibanez would have to invest in an entire factory including: property, machinery, tools, and of course a workforce. Can they do it? Sure, though the cost of setting up a new factory will surely be reflected in the price of the guitars. That would surely put them at a competitive disadvantage.

I don't see why this is such a big issue, especially when you consider all the highly skilled custom shops and luthiers out there. It's even possible to get the coveted Ibanez hardware separately. To me it just seems like people want the name on the headstock.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
plays guitar??

thinkpad20 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The Edge-III 8 is a great bridge IMO. Very solid, I don't know how it could fall out of the guitar but I've played a couple RG8s and own one and I've never heard of that happening. Stays in tune as well as a Floyd but you can retune without bridge adjustment... exactly the tradeoff one would expect with the design.

Regarding the RG8; I really like it. I've decided 8 strings aren't for me, but I'd put the RG8 up against pretty much any guitar I've played or owned in terms of build quality. The 8th string feels awesome to me, not flappy or anything. Of course mine is with Elixer strings (68 on the low) so that could make a difference. And naturally the BKP Cold Sweat in the bridge instead of the EMGs helps but I'm a known hater of EMG 707s too I don't get the Ibanez hate all of the sudden... the RG8 is a great guitar, Ibanez is a great company if you like what they do and you know what you're buying.

BTW, "cheap-ass japanese whores"? WTF... first of all I don't know how that could be taken as anything but racist, second of all... ESP is a Japanese company!

Bands: Solecism (progressive death) | Kisama (black metal/post-rock) | Kuroi (brutal death)
Guitars: Aria|Ibanez|Jackson|Peavey|Washburn
Rig: Guitar -> Fractal Axe-FX Ultra -> Carvin DCM150 -> Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12
Clips: soundclick|netmusicians|youtube
thinkpad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
I don't see why this is such a big issue, especially when you consider all the highly skilled custom shops and luthiers out there. It's even possible to get the coveted Ibanez hardware separately. To me it just seems like people want the name on the headstock.
can you order the ZR trem seperately? cause if you can I have no use for Ibanez other than their S Prestige guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad20 View Post
BTW, "cheap-ass japanese whores"? WTF... first of all I don't know how that could be taken as anything but racist, second of all... ESP is a Japanese company!
they are Japanese too? i did not know that

Last edited by ∆xitosus; 04-28-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #24
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
can you order the ZR trem seperately? cause if you can I have no use for Ibanez other than their S Prestige guitars
Just contact Rich over at "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used, it's the easiest and fastest way to get Ibanez parts.

They're not available in the sense that OFRs are, but it's certainly not impossible to get one.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Just contact Rich over at "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used, it's the easiest and fastest way to get Ibanez parts.

They're not available in the sense that OFRs are, but it's certainly not impossible to get one.
thats great
now i just gotta find someone who can mod that onto an Agile
i can't stand floyds