homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #176
raining bullets

mot666 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive had mine for almost a year now.
mot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #177
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
im in this shit
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #178
Elite Troop

Gamba is just really niceGamba is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
welcome dudes! Has anyone tried those EB eight string sets yet?

Man is just a pupil, pain is his teacher.
Gamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #179
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
no, im to broke to afford new strings at the moment. been using the ones shipped on the guitar 2 months ago. they smell
Unread 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #180
Elite Troop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
no, im to broke to afford new strings at the moment. been using the ones shipped on the guitar 2 months ago. they smell
That makes two of us

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #181
ss.org Regular

Tomo009 is a jewel in the rough
Didn't notice this thread before, had mine for a while now. My biggest complaint is not being able to find suitable strings for me! haha.

The problem is EB fall apart on me in a week, lose sound in one day, D'addario lose their sound in a week... My fingers seem to be acidic, elixir are the only coated strings I've tried but they have been amazing for me, but I don't think there is a suitably sized non-bass string in their range.
Tomo009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #182
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'm jealous of (and therefore hate) you all.

I'm not interested in 8 strings, djent, anything 'br00talz' and stuff like that; I'm not exactly a traditionalist, lol, but I don't just wanna get Guitar Pro, put a random time signture up at 172 bpm, fill it with sixteenth notes then just delete a random selection of them and try and learn it.

Still every RG2228 I've played has had some weird appeal to me and I can't put them down. I came within inches of buying one in 2008 for £720 (it was on sale because the shop couldn't shift it) and the day I was gunna pull the trigger got asked to join a (gigging) band playing bass, so put my money into that, not realising it was the last one I was gunna see for 2 years!

Shoulda coulda woulda...

This is so next on my list, I love everything about these guitars. Annoyingly, there aren't any decent videos of these on youtube, just a bunch of guys playing wanky metal or morse code music...

I'm a Meshuggah & Tesseract fan btw, but there's a real difference to me between what Meshuggah do and what all these 'math metal' guys do...

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #183
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Never mind, just got one on eBay! Can't wait to get it

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #184
Elite Troop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Never mind, just got one on eBay! Can't wait to get it

Unread 06-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #185
Talk To DeWalt

im gonna be using 10 elixirs with an elixir 56 for the low b and prolly a high 60s low 70s elixir bass stirng for the 8th.
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #186
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I recently picked up an RG2228 myself, and I'm in love with it. It's actually made me better as a guitarist, and now my RG7321 feels tiny. I felt like all I'd be able to play would be simple Meshuggah sort of grooves once I got it (which is fine, because I love Meshuggah) but I've actually found it's really opened up my playing alot. I've recently been writing with it and I've made all sorts of riffs from death metal, to sorta techy Danza style stuff and even jazz and funk cleans.

The EMGs are okay, but a little loose and don't sound great on cleans through my amp. I'm having it refinished lime green soon so I'm getting it setup and having the 18v mod done to see if that cleans the EMGs up enough. If not, I'll swap them out for lundgren M8s down the line.

I have a set of D'Addarios I'm having put on which aren't my go to string brand (Prefer Elixirs) but I'd rather them than EB. I have .009 to .042 prosteels and a .056 and .075 chrome which feel a little too smooth in comparison with the prosteels. I'll see when they're on the guitar. I'd like to try La Bella strings, but I can't find any UK suppliers ith the right gauges. They do so many different kinds of strings it's a nightmare to find the gauges I want.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #187
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was thinking about going the Barekuckle route with mine, maybe Aftermaths. I hate the way the EMG's sound in it. I don't know how I feel about pickup rings, but I guess I might have to settle with them to achieve a better tone.

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #188
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I've never found pickup rings to have any tone benefit over covers.
Unread 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #189
Electrifying

I'm gunna 18v my 808's, if that fails trade them for the 808x's, if that fails, I'm gunna get DA8's with EMG covers and drill holes in the coves and screw the pole pieces of the DA8's through them so they're visible

Unread 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #190
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
I've never found pickup rings to have any tone benefit over covers.
I was basically saying, I have to put up with the sight of pickup rings but I'll have awesome tone (passives), as opposed to shitty tone with emg's which look fine.

So you're saying that if I put passives on, I can use covers instead of pickup wrings to fill in the gap?

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #191
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post
I was basically saying, I have to put up with the sight of pickup rings but I'll have awesome tone (passives), as opposed to shitty tone with emg's which look fine.

So you're saying that if I put passives on, I can use covers instead of pickup wrings to fill in the gap?
You can buy basically empty EMG covers, so you just put the passive pickup inside.
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #192
Electrifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post

Yes, you can get black plastic EMG-esque covers that'll fill the slot just like your EMG's do now.

Unread 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #193
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Or you could get a custom-made pickguard. Zimbloth did that with a 2228 he owned some time back, and it looked awesome. I'm thinking of doing the same when I refinish my 2228 and put in some passives.

I'm not huge on black/metal-looking guitars, so I'm thinking of re-finishing mine in either olympic white or surf/seafoam green and putting a tort pickguard on it for a sweet vintage/traditional look. I'll probably end up putting a set of BKP's in it. I'd like to try the Black Dog set for the cleans and versatile sound, but if they end up not being quite tight enough for some of the more technical/metal stuff I play, I'll probably go with my go-to high-output pickup: the Nailbomb

EDIT: Here's a pic of Zim's old 2228. Photobucket's down at the moment, so I'll just leave this link here.
http://www.nemecide.com/band/nick/RG8CST/03.jpg

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #194
SS.org Regular

TheBloodstained is a jewel in the rough
Another proud RG2228 owner here

Bought it in late 2010 and received it just before christmas. It was mostly for shitz'n'gigglez, because I've been getting seriously into music which features 8 string guitars over the last year and a half. Before I got it I was mainly playing 7 strings, therefore I quickly adapted to having 8 strings. The neck surprised me a lot and fits my semi-small hands perfectly!

It has since become my main axe! ^^

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR
Epiphone Gothic Explorer w. active blackouts
Ibanez SR886
Peavey C5 Tigerwood
TheBloodstained is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #195
raining bullets

mot666 will become famous soon enough
do the 18v mod! do it now.
mot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #196
SS.org Regular

Daken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

....ing love mine, replaced the EMGs with BKPs
Daken1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #197
SS.org Regular

Daken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to beholdDaken1134 is a splendid one to behold
asdfasdfss :: 249180_10150206930453120_564908119_7096278_7888798 _n.jpg picture by daken1134 - Photobucket
Daken1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #198
Electrifying

How much relief are people leaving in their necks? My setup has come down to leaving the f# quite rattly (acoustically, it doesn't come through the amp) but the rest of the guitar feels way better for it. The bridge is also a lot lower than it started, but still no buzzes.

Now I just keep moving the bridge pickup up and down, I can't settle with it lol.

Unread 06-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #199
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Reporting in. My main axe (slash only axe, if you exclude my rg370dx, which I never touch...ever ) and is the best guitar I've played. The pickups are yucky but everything else is wonderful.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #200
Dreamer

Arterial is just really niceArterial is just really nice
Reporting in =]

http://soundcloud.com/technicolourdreamcode

Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 TT
Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 DR
Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez PGM301 - Team J. Craft