homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #51
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This just reinforces the fact that past a certain price point, you're not paying for a significant increase in workmanship or quality. The M8M is expensive because it's made in very small numbers and has specs (like the very long scale and neck through) that are unorthodox for Ibanez.

Producing the identical guitar in the USA versus, say, Indonesia will produce a vastly different price tag simply because of the exchange rate (1000 Indo Rupiahs = 1 USD). Country of origin, production volume and of course a little name-dropping with sig models all go to affect the price of an instrument. Lots of guitarists seem to be under the impression that quality directly correlates with price, and that's simply not the case.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #52
SS.org Regular

Given To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of lightGiven To Fly is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoc View Post
This just reinforces the fact that past a certain price point, you're not paying for a significant increase in workmanship or quality. The M8M is expensive because it's made in very small numbers and has specs (like the very long scale and neck through) that are unorthodox for Ibanez.

Producing the identical guitar in the USA versus, say, Indonesia will produce a vastly different price tag simply because of the exchange rate (1000 Indo Rupiahs = 1 USD). Country of origin, production volume and of course a little name-dropping with sig models all go to affect the price of an instrument. Lots of guitarists seem to be under the impression that quality directly correlates with price, and that's simply not the case.
I agree that past a certain price point there isn't a significant increase in quality but I think its unfair to apply that concept in this situation. None of us were there playing the guitars and playability/construction is usually were most of the money goes. Also, I think the M80 has the same scale length as the M8M.

MW
Given To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #53
ddk
SS.org Regular

ddk is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
This just reinforces the fact that past a certain price point, you're not paying for a significant increase in workmanship or quality.
Can't agree with this. The amplified sound may be similar, but there is so much more that goes into what constitutes a guitar that makes you go vs one that just makes you go "meh." Of course, I like a guitar to sound good, but more importantly, it has to FEEL good. I have tried neither guitar personally, but I would assume that if you put an M8M in my hands and an M80M in my hands there would be a very noticable difference. Whether that's worth an extra $3K+ though is another issue entirely haha
Given To Fly likes this.
ddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #54
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
I agree that past a certain price point there isn't a significant increase in quality but I think its unfair to apply that concept in this situation. None of us were there playing the guitars and playability/construction is usually were most of the money goes. Also, I think the M80 has the same scale length as the M8M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk View Post
Can't agree with this. The amplified sound may be similar, but there is so much more that goes into what constitutes a guitar that makes you go vs one that just makes you go "meh." Of course, I like a guitar to sound good, but more importantly, it has to FEEL good. I have tried neither guitar personally, but I would assume that if you put an M8M in my hands and an M80M in my hands there would be a very noticable difference. Whether that's worth an extra $3K+ though is another issue entirely haha

I agree with you fine gentleman to the extent that there may (MAY) be perceptible differences in playability or fit and finish between the models. Are such differences, assuming they're there, worth (like ddk said) that extra $3k?

The other issue is that most people have a hard time quantifying the differences between guitars. They'll ramble on about tonewoods or whatever, but I'm thinking, "Are the frets leveled and polished? Is the guitar set up properly? Is it free of functional and significant cosmetic defects?"

It's the case with anything. I build gaming PCs and it's the same way – beyond a certain price point, you pay exponentially more money for trivial or even imperceptible improvements in performance. Guitars are the same way. Assuming it's generally a well-made instrument, most of the cost of the really expensive stuff can be pinned on rarity/production volume and country of origin.

That's why the M80M will cost a lot less than the M8M. It uses a construction method Ibanez uses on lots of their guitars already (the bolt), with the same materials, in a factory in a country with a nearly worthless currency where many thousands will be produced (manufacturers do get volume discounts on materials, ya know). I'm sure overall QC will remain higher on the M8M given the lower yield, but that's a lot of money for a neck-through and a little more peace of mind. There will always be those who say you can't put a price on that stuff (people with lots of disposable income), but anyone investing in an M80M definitely shouldn't feel like they're missing out.
Quiet Sheep likes this.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #55
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
Quote:
I agree with you fine gentleman to the extent that there may (MAY) be perceptible differences in playability or fit and finish between the models. Are such differences, assuming they're there, worth (like ddk said) that extra $3k?

The other issue is that most people have a hard time quantifying the differences between guitars. They'll ramble on about tonewoods or whatever, but I'm thinking, "Are the frets leveled and polished? Is the guitar set up properly? Is it free of functional and significant cosmetic defects?"

It's the case with anything. I build gaming PCs and it's the same way – beyond a certain price point, you pay exponentially more money for trivial or even imperceptible improvements in performance. Guitars are the same way. Assuming it's generally a well-made instrument, most of the cost of the really expensive stuff can be pinned on rarity/production volume and country of origin.

That's why the M80M will cost a lot less than the M8M. It uses a construction method Ibanez uses on lots of their guitars already (the bolt), with the same materials, in a factory in a country with a nearly worthless currency where many thousands will be produced (manufacturers do get volume discounts on materials, ya know). I'm sure overall QC will remain higher on the M8M given the lower yield, but that's a lot of money for a neck-through and a little more peace of mind. There will always be those who say you can't put a price on that stuff (people with lots of disposable income), but anyone investing in an M80M definitely shouldn't feel like they're missing out.
the m80m will be a great ALTERNATIVE to the M8M... but let's get this straight folks. The M80M is no M8M.
wilch likes this.

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #56
ss.org Regular

br00takville is on a distinguished road
So how different does the 29.4" scale length feel compared to a 27" scale?

Does most of the difference come from the bridge being further back on the body or are the frets spaced?

Riffs I've had to stretch to reach on a 25.5" I would have to jump around on a 27"
br00takville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #57
SS.org Regular

GreatWhiteYeti is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by br00takville View Post
So how different does the 29.4" scale length feel compared to a 27" scale?

Does most of the difference come from the bridge being further back on the body or are the frets spaced?

Riffs I've had to stretch to reach on a 25.5" I would have to jump around on a 27"
I think that scale length is close to micro basses? They're around 30" I think? It's that or I'm way ....ing off and someone will correct me
GreatWhiteYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #58
Doooooooooom

jwade is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You got it.
Quote:
Short scale basses are generally defined as having scale lengths between 30″ and 32″. Long scale basses conventionally have a 34″ string length.
GreatWhiteYeti likes this.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #59
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
It's more of a "vintage Bass VI" type scale length. Fender's Bass VI guitars have been different scale lengths through the years though. My OLP MM5 is the same scale length also I think.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #60
Duncan Hills

Krucifixtion is just really niceKrucifixtion is just really nice
Just think of the guitar as a high end Ibanez Premium model. When it comes to prices the most I would ever reasonably spend on a guitar is about $3,000 or so. I would never actually buy the $6,000 M8M, because the specs are too specific to Meshuggah for me to spend that much money. However, $1,500 for a decent quality Ibanez with similar specs and a Lundgren is def worth it to get close enough for that tight 8 string tone.

To me it's the same deal as the Premium Universe they came out with. It's not gonna be the quality of the original, but it's still a good guitar.
AVH and shitsøn like this.
Krucifixtion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #61
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
It's more of a "vintage Bass VI" type scale length. Fender's Bass VI guitars have been different scale lengths through the years though. My OLP MM5 is the same scale length also I think.
The US Bass VI has always been 30" as far as I'm aware of. The Japanese version did differ very slightly by 30.4" IIRC.
AVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
In other words: READ THE MANUAL!

What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #63
SS.org Regular

HanShock is a jewel in the rough
The amp!!!!!
HanShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #64
GASsy

Bill Stickers will become famous soon enough
M8M=What Meshuggah could afford
M80M=What Meshuggah fans can afford

If I could throw 5 grand at a guitar and recover from it with no debts, it'd probably happen, because it's what everyone else does because these instruments OWN OUR SOULS. After all, it's what we pour into them ;D (sometimes blood too. Literally xD *looks at picture of Vai*)

I'm GASing to make an M80M my first 8... Nothing quite ticks all the current boxes like it does. GASSSS!!!!!

BILL STICKERS WILL BE PROSECUTED
Bill Stickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #65
SS.org Regular

Jzbass25 is just really niceJzbass25 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The m80m sounds great and is so beautiful, I still can't decide if I could live without a neck pickup (I mean I could be crazy and add one later.... lol) and with such a huge scale length though. I sure hope a local shop gets one so I can try it out.

In the jungle you must wait, until the dice read 5 or 8
Jzbass25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #66
ss.org Regular

Xplora is on a distinguished road
Just add the neck pickup, if you will use it and keep the guitar. I think these will be love or hate guitars, the scale is huge, the tone is very restricted... but that's a good thing IMO. Adding a neck pickup if you're keeping the guitar isn't a silly decision - although you'd really want to be sure you loved the guitar because the resale will plummet HARD; I got lucky flipping an Epiphone V that I scalloped the neck through Ebay - I think a young Yngwie tragic picked it up LOL and that's the thing... even with a neck pickup it will be easy enough to sell but you can't get that body back if you change your mind.
Xplora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #67
Set up us the bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVH View Post
The US Bass VI has always been 30" as far as I'm aware of. The Japanese version did differ very slightly by 30.4" IIRC.
Right you are, I was confusing different models. There was a model that had a 28" scale length too, though I forget which it was.

This is what I was really thinking about though:
Silhouette Bass

There was one more baritone that I had in mind, but I can't for the life of me remember which it was!

-Anthony
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #68
ss.org Regular

somethingclever is on a distinguished road
Fantastic thread...
somethingclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #69
Set up us the bomb

I am saving up for the M80M now. Selling stuff I'd normally not sell. IT WILL BE MINE!

-Anthony
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #70
The White-Knuckler

Philligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
This. There's definitely a quality difference between the two, and I'd bet it's a noticeable one. I'm sure the M80M is a great guitar, but I'm also sure the M8M is better. As you go up in price/quality, the differences get *smaller*, but they're still definitely there. And when you're getting up into that calibre of guitar, those tiny differences can seem huge to you.

Think of the differences between a $100 Rondo SX Strat copy and a Fender MIA Standard Strat. Then think of the differences between an MIA Strat and a Suhr or Tom Anderson. The jump from the $100 guitar to the $1k guitar is more noticeable than the $1k to $3k+ jump, but that doesn't mean the Suhr is no better than the MIA Strat. It can be the difference between playing a great guitar, and a guitar that totally floors you.

My Flickr.

"it blowed the emg's in the dirt" - De Vries

"Richlite is to Paper Mache as Carbon Composite is to charcoal briquettes." - Max
Philligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #71
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.
Here's my bud Mårten with the new baby as well!

edit: there we go... I think this might be the proto I have now too. Cool
shitsøn and mike90t09 like this.
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #72

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVH View Post
Here's my bud Mårten with the new baby as well!

Marten Hagstrom on the Meshuggah M80M Ibanez 8-string signature model - YouTube

Cripes, how do you imbed this here..
It pisses me off too how sometimes they embed and sometimes they dont. Drives me absolutely nuts!
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #73
Lefty

Phrygian is just really nicePhrygian is just really nice
Awesome! I think it imbeds automatically if you just post the link without any thingamajings around it.

Edit: testing it

http://youtu.be/Ro5LQiLbFgU

Edit 2: damn it.. Well, I'm out of ideas haha!

My Delirium

Gear:
FOR SALE - Carvin DC727L
FOR SALE -Carvin DC800
Decibel AMX 7 - incoming

Mayones Setius 6
Axe FX II
Matrix gt1000fx
2 x Zilla super fatboy 2x12
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #74
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
Awesome! I think it imbeds automatically if you just post the link without any thingamajings around it.

Edit: testing it

Marten Hagstrom on the Meshuggah M80M Ibanez 8-string signature model - YouTube

Edit 2: damn it.. Well, I'm out of ideas haha!
Look up bud, got it now
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #75
Lefty

Phrygian is just really nicePhrygian is just really nice
Haha, cool!

I do hope they make a set of lefties of that some time down the road because, I WANT ONE!

My Delirium

Gear:
FOR SALE - Carvin DC727L
FOR SALE -Carvin DC800
Decibel AMX 7 - incoming

Mayones Setius 6
Axe FX II
Matrix gt1000fx
2 x Zilla super fatboy 2x12
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote