homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Galius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

goosepoop is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carvin DC800 No Show Option

Has anyone gotten this option? I want the front of the guitar's body to look entirely like the same wood (alder) despite the neck being a different wood (maple) and was wondering if this option solves the problem.

Thanks in advance.
goosepoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

mishabasi is a jewel in the rough
with no show you are getting a top that will cover both the body wings and the neck. It will probably be 2 pieces bookmatched together. On my carvin I didn't opt for the now show. I love the way the 5 piece walnut/maple neck looks.
mishabasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Street Theorist

Poparad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosepoop View Post
Has anyone gotten this option? I want the front of the guitar's body to look entirely like the same wood (alder) despite the neck being a different wood (maple) and was wondering if this option solves the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Yes.
Poparad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Make sure you see a piece of alder before you pull the trigger on it. There's a reason alder is usually painted. It ain't the prettiest wood in the universe.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Brohoodofsteel75 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not to hijack but do any of you know if it costs more for that option?
Brohoodofsteel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes it does
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Lord of the Afros

frogunrua is a jewel in the rough
If you get a top like spalted maple it would be standard not to show the neck right?
frogunrua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Covering the neck-through IS more expensive, since it requires a wider piece of bookmatched wood (not to mention they have to be specially careful with the bookmatching... Not that they wouldn't either way, in theory). It's not that expensive of an upgrade anyway. My DC727 has a bookmatched flamed koa top, and the 5-piece koa/maple neck shows through quite beautifully. It all comes down to looks and preference.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

kuma is a jewel in the rough
No, if you're ordering the standard woods (alder wings and maple neck), the no-show option is not applicable. The only time the no-show option is used is if you are ordering both a 5-piece neck, and a figured top. Normally a figured top will cover the body and neck, but if you've ordered the 5-piece neck, they assume you want to see it, and use smaller pieces of figured wood so the neck woods are visible. But if you want both a 5-piece neck, and a figured top that covers the whole face of the guitar, you need to order the no-show option.

If you want a uniform look, so that you don't see the different body and neck woods from the front of the guitar, you'll need to get a top wood of some kind. Plain maple is available if you don't want the figured look. I don't know if they'd do an alder top, you'd have to call and ask.
kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogunrua View Post
If you get a top like spalted maple it would be standard not to show the neck right?
No. Whenever ordering any top you need to specify "No Show", or you'll see the neck-thru.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Mentally Guitarded

Galius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Im positive than when you order a top on the DC800s nothing ever comes up about "no show". Im actually going through specs to order a 3rd DC800 and when adding a top and 5 piece neck it never brings up the option.
yuureikun likes this.

Galius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not sure how the DC800 builder works, but when I ordered my DC727, Icon5, and DC400 I was prompted to choose.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

yuureikun is just really niceyuureikun is just really nice
For the DC727/747 and other guitars there is the "no show" option where you can opt to have the 5 piece neck visible from the front of the guitar, or covered by the top wood.

However, for some reason, the DC800 is built a little differently and they are unable to have necks that show from the front. So if you order a top wood for the DC800, you WILL NOT see the neck from the front of the guitar under any circumstances. I know this for a fact, as I asked Carvin why the "show show" option was missing from the DC800 online builder.

This is what an admin told me on the Carvin forums when I reported that the no show neck option wasn't appearing on the DC700/800 builders: "On the DC700 & DC800, NS is the standard - that is, you can't have the neck how if you have a top wood, because of the way the tops are made. The only way the neck will show is if there's no top wood. So, if you want the neck to show - whether 5-piece or 1-piece, you have to order a standard body with no top."

If there is any confusion about anything regarding a guitar order, it is best to call Carvin and talk to a rep so that you don't accidentally order something you don't want. The online builder can be a little confusing if you aren't already accustomed to what Carvin's options are.
yuureikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #14
Lord of the Afros

When I ordered mine they never asked about it. Even though a flamed maple neck might look cool shown, I want that full spalted top. I am going to call when I get up.
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The no-show neck isn't even a standard option on the DC800. I'm no luthier but I've heard it has something to do with the newer DC models (DXx00) using bent tops instead of carved tops.

In any case, a no-show wouldn't even have the effect the original poster is asking about. You can't make alder wings somehow cover a neck-through. Even on the older models, the no-show option pops up only when you're building a 5-piece neck after you've selected a top wood, and you want the stripes to show. And obviously if you didn't select a top wood, there's nothing to cover the neck in the first place.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Lord of the Afros

Called today and it looks like I'll be getting the full frontal of the spalt!